Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Ever notice how some companies enjoy punishing you for being their customer?

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by KevinJames, Dec 6, 2013.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Admittedly, I am boiling mad right now. ATT does it again. After merely 3 months of using a cellular hotspot at 15G/month, I quickly realized that just trying to do normal daily activities was eating up my plan so quickly that I'd have to go sit at some coffee shop to keep my usage down. So I thought to myself: "Well, if I get Comcast cable to install just internet service ($39.99/month in my area), then I can turn around and reduce my data plan to just 6G/month and save $70/month. Not so. As you reduce your data plan costs, your dependent device costs go up. So for a 6G plan, it was really only $40/month cheaper, not $70. Seems to me that device charges should not change. In fact, those using less data should be charged less, NOT MORE for connecting a device.

Thank you for skewing me, ATT. All you are doing is skewing yourself in the end because I will dump you ASAP. (Yes, I toned down my post, instead of using scr*wing me.)

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yeah they have it all figured out pretty well, just like insurance companies. And cable companies. But where will you move to?

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro

3. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Very true, the monthly billing type companies have all the angles figured out to their own advantage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Yes, these companies love to squeeze us for every last dime. If they didn't work most of the time, I would leave. Alas, the alternatives either don't exist or they suck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    More evidence that carriers (all of them apparently) do NOT have their customers' best interest at heart

6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    There is a subtlety missing from this article. Apple effectively has a kill switch in iOS 7 that came out this fall. The adoption rate of ios7 across all apple lines was reported recently at 74%

No carrier has nixed it. And Apple has been praised by NY too. By the same AG that complained in the above article!

Maybe the difference is that a stolen iphone is useless, but if recovered by the owner is usable. From the article, a bricked Samsung is totally useless?

[​IMG]

http://www.law360.com/m/articles/473784/sf-da-ny-ag-praise-apple-s-new-ios-7-security-features

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

#6 viewfly, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    The carriers are giving you a discount for purchasing more data. You pay less per pound when you purchase a large carton of detergent.

1 person likes this.
  8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @efparri: Yes, but we're not talking tangible product here. It doesn't cost the wireless carriers any more to provide less data. They aren't boxing, labeling, or ad-designing data like detergent companies are boxing, getting shelf space and many other tangible product-related processes. sorry, but i don't buy into your logic on this one.

9. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    The problem with the original post in this thread is that the whole AT&T shared data plans with sliding phone costs was disclosed when the plans were introduced. To be mad about this now sounds like someone didn't do the homework. Apparently a number of people have complained, however; since the new version of shared data has the "on contract" smartphone cost fixed at $40 regardless of amount of data selected.

10. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    But at least with the new plans you get a $15/mo discount for bringing your own phone.

11. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @music4praise: Hmm. Well, let's see here. Start with the facts: I used to work for ATT in their IT organization. So I know the company more than many consumers. I started as a wireless consumer in 1994, so examining the rate plans is something I've been doing for 20 years. Now the embarrassing admission: When I changed to the data-centric plan, a set of events took place that forced me to make a quick (and slightly uninformed) decision. So I'll accept your observation that I didn't do my homework. At the time that I accepted the original data-centric plan, it "seemed" like a good idea. But slowly I began to realize that the sales force at my local ATT store suckered me into a bad decision. That's when I went back and reviewed my options -- I wanted to cut back my data plan. And that is when I realized what a jerk ATT is with their plans. Tides will turn.

12. robbailey

robbailey New Member

All the carriers suck but I think att sucks the most from my experience. When I had them I had issue after issue after issue after issue. For good measure throw in another issue and that's my experience. I'll never use that company again.

13. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @robbailey: I'm not here to bash ATT, but I do feel the fee schedules are unnecessarily inflated. Even though I did use ATT as the example, there are several other companies in various industries that are guilty of punishing their customers. I've heard NY has historically been a poor service area for ATT. I don't know what the actual issues are getting signal in that area.