Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Even More Plus & International Roaming

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Kalimotxo, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Question:

Can you roam internationally (south america) if you have the even more plus plan (the one that doesn't require a contract)?

I'm on the website and it is giving me the opportunity to select the WorldClass International Service. In the fine print it says "Additional credit approval required." So am I to understand that I can roam internationally without a contract so long as they have my credit info?

I'm just a bit skeptical that you would be able to roam beyond North America without some type of contract because of the significant delays that can occur when reporting roaming info between carriers.

I called t-mobile customer service in hopes of getting an answer but the CS rep didn't sound too convincing to say the least. Nice lady though.

2. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    If you have not had international roaming a further credit check may be done to see whether you are worth the risk of high charges incurred when using international roaming. Contracts don't have anything to do with it. Credit worthiness is what's important.

3. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    What exactly is the way TMobile's International Roaming works? My wife went on a trip and we added the International feature to her Sidekick plan but after reading about the potential charges she decided to leave the phone turned off.

Seems to me there's a daily fee imposed by the local carrier and a rather stiff rate per minute. Also, even if no calls are made, if emails or text messages are received, the per minute charges are levied whether you read them or not.

Maybe it's not as complicated as I think but if someone can explain I would like to know for the future.

Thanks,

Brad

4. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    In general, when you want to roam abroad you have to call your carrier and get them to add the capability to roam internationally. You can easily rack up thousands of dollars in roaming charges so most carriers require some type of credit check so they know they'll be paid back and / or that you won't stay in country X and never come back to the US to pay the fees.

As for rates, it really depends. Some carriers have North American options that are like traditional calling plans. If you are roaming in the rest of the world, you are charged for your use by the minute/text/kilobyte. These rates vary by country. In western Europe the rates are usually around $1min/ 50 cents per text sent and $10 per megabyte Your usage abroad is separate from any plan that you might have. I have yet to see a carrier that charges a daily fee. A link for t-mobile's rates:

Unsupported Browser

Getting billed for your usage can take months and it's not always accurate. I have roamed on telcel and seen the charges show up two months later on my bill. I had some usage on Movistar that I was never charged for.

We've all seen the horror stories on forums about people that went abroad and used their iPhone nonstop - only to get a $3,000 roaming bill a month later. When abroad it's a great idea to turn off your data connection and use wifi for calling and internet browsing. While I carry a phone abroad, if I need to have an extensive conversation back to the states I'll always hop on Skype.

I hope that gives you a better idea of how international roaming works.

5. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    You are only billed if you make calls or receive calls. There are no fees from the carrier other than the actual per minute roaming fees.

With roaming you are using another carrier's system to make or receive calls. You pay a premium for using their system. The roaming partner and the home carrier share the fees generated.

6. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Actually if your phone is on, and you don't answer it you are billed for the phone to forward the call to vm, so either turn off that forwarding feature...or turn your phone off until you are going to use it. It is rated as a VM retrieval, it's billed at a one minute charge for whatever rate it is depending on country.

1 person likes this.