Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

European GSM1900 phones on VS/ Coverage in Poughkeepsie?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by OlaNord, Aug 1, 2002.

1. OlaNord

OlaNord New Member

Hi,

two questions:
    1) I'm thinking about taking my Nokia 7210 to the US when I'm going back to college in September. It supports GSM 900, 1800, GRPS, HSCD and most importantly, GSM1900. A VoiceStream rep. told me it would work once I got a SIM (aka smart-) card for it from one of their outlets. Has anyone tried using a triband phone from Europe with VoiceStream? (using one of their SIM cards, I don't want to keep my service provider in Norway)

2) Anyone know if they actually have GSM1900 coverage in Poughkeepsie, New York? Their coverage map says they do, but one of my friends suggested that may not be entirely true.

Thanks for reading, I'm look forward to any input on these issues.... I'd soooo like to get this to work : )
    -Ola

2. Guest

Guest Guest

is your phone unlock? If it is locked even if you put in Voicestream SIM card it won't work. Have it unlock in europe.
    There's coverage in Poughkeepsie but not extensive.

3. OlaNord

OlaNord New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "locked", do you mean by a service provider in Europe so that it only works with their services within the 12 month contract-period? That is not the case with this phone, I bought it straight from the distributor and it works with all providers in Europe, no restrictions.

Coverage in Poughkeepsie: Guess I'll have to talk to Reslife@Vassar.edu about giving me that fifth-floor room noone else wants, if the phone indeed works : )
    -Arne

4. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

If you can put in every sim card of european providers and it works, it will also work with voicestream...

however, if you get a free phone anyway by signing up, why don;t you just get a free phone...

C.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Most of the time the phone is locked by the carrier. My Voicestream phone was locked so when i was in India when you put their SIM card it will say "cannot read sim card". So it was unlocked by placing a cable from the cell phone to a laptop that even the back ground screen color was change from green to acetate w/ a picture.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

If it will work with any carrier in europe then it is not locked. I don't know why Voicestream locks all their phones.

7. OlaNord

OlaNord New Member

Not really interesting, but since CaliphoniaBoy asked:
    Nokia 7210 rocks (colour display etc, see for yourself : ) , I'd much rather use it because it can use text messages to check an OpenLDAP server for contact-info etc after I wrote a java program for it.

Thanks for the input, if anyone has information that suggests I should NOT bother to bring my phone (and the required AC-adapter and voltage converter for that one) please let me know.

8. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    My first GSM phone came from Norway. When I was there on business the company gave me a tri-band to work both there and here. When I got back I went to VoiceStream and opened a account. Since I had a phone all I needed was the SIM with a US phone number, put it in and left the store. That was a Motorola P7389 which came with a 110/220 volt charger and 2 adpators to use. Europe, UK and the adaptor itself had the US plug. When I got my v60g that phone went to someone else at work and is still in use today.

Since you have a new Nokia 7210 you have a phone that will work here and back home. One phone for both places. You should have no problems with using that phone here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...