Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Euro 6230 with AT&T in US?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by unifyd, Aug 12, 2004.

1. unifyd

unifyd New Member

Ok, supposing i had GSM service with AT&T and i bought the 6230 that is out in the UK. Since it would be a SIM-Unlocked phone, if i took the SIM card out of the original phone i had with AT&T and put it in the new 6230, would it work and get service? Would I have to clear anything with the phone company like explaining why a different phone is using the card, or would they not be able to tell? Would having a phone from a different country present any problems? Sorry there are alot of questions.. but i dont know much about cell phones so, any help would be appreciated.

2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Yes, you could since if I am not mistaken, the 6230 is a 900/1800/1900 phone. However, GSM850 is becoming increasingly important in the US for ATT/Cingular, so not having that band is in my opinion a liability that I would not personally care to deal with. With the 6230 you should be able to use the phone in GSM1900 areas but why would you want to handicap yourself this way? I would look for a quad band phone that is unlocked. If you have one of those, you can simply sign up for ATT service, pop in the ATT SIM and be off and running.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. unifyd

unifyd New Member

Hmm.. Thanks for the info. I guess the issue here is, I need a new phone.. the one i have is in need of being replaced. I have my eye on the Nokia 6230, and i guess my train of thought was just trying to get it faster.. I suppose it would be better to wait until its released here and then get it.

4. unifyd

unifyd New Member

Ok, so if i found a Nokia 6230 phone that operates on the 850mhz/1900mhz band, then i should be able to swap the sim card from the current phone and into the Nokia, and it would be up and running?

5. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, the 6230b is a 850/1800/1900 phone. You should have no problem using it on AT&T. You will just need to get & enter all the data & messenging setting in the phone. The settings can be found on other forums (like HoFo), or I belive Nokia can send them to your phone.

6. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...