Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Epinions.com and AT&T

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ruddy64, Jul 30, 2002.

1. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    Epinions.com and AT&T

I just finished reading " AT&T service in NYC" on epinions .com and what a load of bull. People that trash it are such liers. While AT&T has it shortcomings so are all other providers, but to listen to those people you would think that AT&T just does not work at all. For example: one person claims that AT&T charged him for switching to another plan (lie). Another said that AT&T had "balls" to tell him to extend a contract if he wanted to purchase a new phone at the discount price three months into his contract. Another complained that his phone does not work in the subway tunnel. I think none of those people even have a cellphone and write their "opinions" just to get paid. They claim that AT&T does not work by the big body of water or in Midtown Manhatan. I live in Brighton Beach which is right by the ocean and work in Midtown and my phone works just fine. So for all people who rely on epinions.com for advise please don't. Find out for yourself. Each company gives you between two to four weeks grace period so you can decide on your own.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I agree with you on the epinions.com thing. In general I have read many exaggerations and ureasonable attitudes from disgruntled customers and ex-customers regarding wireless phones and service from all carriers. A lot of it comes from people who have expectations that are too high and don't really understand the wireless industry. Many of the complaints are simply the result of people not doing their homework and reading the details of their contracts carefully. I would not base any decision by the stories that are submitted on that site.

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I agree its not 100% accurate and sometimes the opinions are pretty old. However I've noticed that many times epinions.com users and the JD Powers award seem to agree with each other. I think it can help you out a little in deciding. On the AT&T note, AT&T is known to be horrible in NYC. That's why they have such a horrible rating for that area on epinions.com, in other areas AT&T is ranked quite high.

4. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    Like I said I work in Midtown and spend most of my day in the City and my phone works just fine. I don't have any dropped calls or voicemail been delivered in "three days" like someone on epinions posted. As far as JD Powers is concern i wouldn't put too much trust into them, they gave awords to Sprint yet according to many people here Verizon is the BEST.

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    With anything you need to take someones opinions and then form your own conclusion. Take the trial period once you decide what provider to choose.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Since I use Cingular TDMA I roam on AT&T in this area, so from my own experience I can tell you that AT&T either has improved in NYC or I got a better phone now. I used to get dropped calls all the time while driving in the city and now they are rare. I remember a few years ago people were talking about AT&T dropped calls all over, even on the morning radio shows. The article "We Drop Calls" from News.com states clearly "New York continues to be a challenge". However, I don't have any problems in NJ. AT&T works fine in Manhattan but need to improve lots of weak areas in Queens and Brooklyn. You just need to get away from the highways to notice the problem. In conclusion, AT&T still has to do some work in NYC. I can pinpoint places where I always dropped calls and now I don't:

For those of you in this area: 158th st. near the Henry Hudson where there was just no service at all but this got solved about a year ago, also at the end of the Triborough Bridge entering the Grand Central Parkway I dropped calls 100% of the times but they fixed this about 2 years ago, and also on the FDR around 125th St. calls dropped constantly, among other points.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    I agree. About two years ago my phone used to ROAM inthe area where I live (Brighton Beach). But since then they improved greatly in that and many other areas troughout the city. They still have to do more but like I said no provider is perfect. That just does not happen (yet) in Wireless industry.