Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Enhanced Radio Sensitivity (ERS)/Antennas

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by bluechip, Mar 7, 2002.

1. bluechip

bluechip New Member

I'm interested in learning about wireless phones with ERSTM or ERS (enhanced radio sensitivity). I read a NASA article regarding antenna studies and emailed a scientist. I know Ericsson uses it, but their phones aren't compatible with my carrier. I did read where someone said the SIM chip is portable to other GSM phones however, do you agree? Thanx in advance.

Here's the article (you need acrobat reader): http://technology.grc.nasa.gov/tech/tops/cc/CC0131.PDF

2. Guest

Guest Guest

There is a lot and continuing research on better antennas. Doubtless some will find its way into cell phones and similar devices. ERS is one of many technologies. And I'm not surprised that NASA is leading the way on this. After all, they need to be able to pick up weak radio signals from *way* beyond Pluto while a thunderstorm is raging outside -- and they only get one shot at it. None of this retransmission BS that you can do on earth.....

Yes! You can move the SIM chip between different GSM phones. That is one -- perhaps the ONLY one -- of its virtues. But it shouldn't be necessary to move a chip just so you can change carriers. You will still be a subscriber to whichever carrier issued you the original chip. Putting it into another phone is not going to change the carrier you are with, only the phone in your hand.
    But if your idea is to buy a cheap phone from say PacBell and then get a better phone from say VoiceStream and keep using it on the PacBell network by switching your SIM card, go ahead.... WHY? Is another question, but go right ahead.....

3. bluechip

bluechip New Member

4. bluechip

bluechip New Member

Oops! Anyway, I want better reception as I stated earlier. The Ericcson phone is of special interest to me because of the ERS. I won't be changing carriers, just phones.

And Now...