Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Edge?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Jordan2005, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint PCS, Nextel,
    How hard is it to overlay EDGE over a GSM/GPRS network? And how long does it usually take? Only reason y I ask is because in my area there is no EDGE yet and I was just wondering how long it would take them to to do a complete overlay on their network??? My zips are 95991, 95993, 95901, and 95437. I am in these areas most and I would like to know when EDGE might b turned on in these areas?...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well i can tell you right now that in 95437 they dont even have any coverage yet.......its all T-Mobile 1900 roaming..........so that site is out of the question........

an answer to your question:

the time at which you will get EDGE depends on if your are located near a major metro area........i live about 1 1/2 hours west of Philly............chances are i will get it sooner than someone who lives in Kansas...........your north of Sacramento and i dont know if T-Mobile will consider them a major metro

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    But if the OP is roaming in that location wouldn't that increase the likelihood of finding EDGE there? Isn't Cingular's GSM network almost 100% EDGE capable?

-Jay

4. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):

Well according to T-Mobile, they already have EDGE in Sacramento... Just not 50 miles north... GPRS is ok, but since i am getting the MDA, i would just like to have it run off of EDGE, just because the phone is so advanced...

5. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Edge overlay is quickly sweeping, I recently got upgraded in rural indiana so I know they are working on it, give it some time and read the cingular news announcements.

6. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I already use Cingular EDGE... But i am waiting for T-Mobile to get it in my area...

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well i know that cingular and tmobile do have agreements in some of the 1900 roaming areas for GPRS but does cingular share its EDGE network as well?

8. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I would think its an all or nothing thing. If you are allowed to use the tower you should be allowed to use any service available on it. I think it would be complicating matters to make the tower slow down the data rate for roaming customers.

-Jay

9. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    According to the map below, It looks as though Cingular has overlayed EDGE over their entire network, So this means that when i roam on cingular, i can use their EDGE network right??? This goes the same for Edge Wireless as well (map below) right?

Attached Files:

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    notice that the first thunbnail that you attached says EDGE/GPRS Coverage.........this means that Cingular has data on all of their network but doesnt necessarily mean that the whole network is EDGE-Capable......

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    no i no that a lot of the time when i had tmobile i would roam on local carriers especially when i went down to the outer banks i would roam on suncom and i couldnt get any data access there

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I think its in the FCC rules that a carrier must offer roaming users the same services it has available for its own customers. It is possible that TMO barred you from data access though, to avoid high data roaming rates.

-Jay

13. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    its possible........they mentinoed in the COverage section of their website that T-Mobile is allowing data roaming on certain carriers......there is a short list of about 7-10 carriers at least last time i saw it.........it included CIngular and Centennial Wireless and others

14. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I read somewhere that T-Mobile's Boston network has EDGE, but my Nokia 6101 flip phone (which has EDGE) still connects to T-Zones (the Internet) via GPRS. The [G] is displayed upon a successful connection.

15. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    thats odd........i know that sometimes it can be only on certain towers.......youve never seen EDGE at all on your phone........i think there is a setting that allow you to keep data attachment always on then it will basically display the icon that the tower supports all of the time.....

it will display a "G" or and "E" outside of the box at all times then will show the "G" or the "E" inside the box when you send a pic message or access t-zones

EDIT: i.e. my area only has Sprint EV-DO inside a 10 to 15 mile range right on top of the city....as in it doesnt even hand off until you get to the actual city borders

16. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Could also be that the phone doesn't differentiate icons between the two, mobilespeedtest.com ;) 115k means you got edge, 50 k means gprs check it.

17. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I have never seen the E displayed, only the G in brackets.

Also, mobilespeedtest.com is not a valid host (not found).

18. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  19. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've heard varying reports that for a time TM suppressed the E from appearing, whiy I have no idea. I have EDGE in my area, and I'm almost in the boonies now :D so I see no reason why it wouldn't be available in Boston. Perhaps visit a local store and compare with an employee's phone? Never devices like the Pearl display "EDGE".

20. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah but i had the Nokia 6103 and I called T-Mobile to see if they had EDGE in Spokane, WA and they said yes and that when i turn my phone on it should show an E instead of a G......

EDIT: went there for vacation.....very nice serene place.........you should all go there sometime!!! :D

21. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It would be nice if I could even use my "G" for some odd reason I cant even use the mobile web in my area. as of recently. I've called T-M0 and they've ran tests and what not and cant figure out whats wrong with it..maybe someone out there has an asnswer..thanks

22. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    99% chance, bad phone or settings, at least if other people with the same model and the same service can access gprs/edge in your area.

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah if their tests show that there is nothing wrong with the towers then chances are that you need to have your phone reconfigured or replaced....

try this website to reconfigure it....the site will send the settings right to your phone and the site will then give you direction on how to save the settings:

http://tmobileus.wdsglobal.com/phonefirst

it will ask for the brand model then your phone number and maybe a random PIN.....try it then post back

24. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    They definately do have EDGE in Boston. Ive had it while serving on t-zones. I used a notebook card for a few days, and was able to get EDGE.

25. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    thanks nkrypte and smartestchild..it's working now though!! Thanks anyway!!

26. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If I may ask, what changed to make it work?

27. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah thats kinda odd.........your phone sensed that you were getting pissed and Tmobile told it to start working....or else.....haha

28. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's it my man :p chances are if you did nothing with the phone/line, perhaps there were some provisioning issues or a issue with the tower serving your specific locality, but hey it works now so I'm glad it worked out in the end.

29. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    haha alright......sometimes the cellular networks are a mystery and its best to not ask questions....glad your problem got solved :biggrin:

30. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re: Edge? Maybe!!!!

I think T-Mobile is overlaying EDGE in my City!!! Because, My thing at the top has been saying "E" alot and it says that is is on the EDGE system! However, it only stays on it for a few mins, then it changes back to "G". But when i look at what i am connected to it in the connections menu is says GPRS. But my browser is faster when the "E" is displayed... What does that mean, am i using EDGE or not? This just started to happen 2day after i updated my ROM it is now;
    2.26.10.2WWE and my ExtROM is; 2.26.10.105, Radio Version; 02.25.11 and Protocol version is; 4.1.13.12. Is this good and up to date??? And am i really using EDGE or is my phone just saying it is??? Also, how do u get into the files to do all of those edits?