Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Edge-to-Edge displays. What's your take?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Feb 10, 2016.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Seeing as most people hold their phones with the fingers wrapped around the left and right edges, for those that actually use edge-to-edge devices, do you find it frustrating? Do your edge-of-screen accidental touches cause more irritation than anything? I've handled the phones in the stores and it seems that edge-to-edge is actually not a good thing.

2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Intriguing question. Sorry I don't have an edge-to-edge to offer an opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Not sure whether my Note 5 qualifies, but there is less bezel on the sides and sometimes it is a pain when I'm using the camera. Outside of that, no complaints.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Good question. I wondered about this too. Certainly rules out some cases too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S20
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    My wife has an S6 Edge and had never mentioned any problems. Seems to be good on that phone.

6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I'd like to see one in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Just got the Galaxy S7 Edge and I very much LOVE the edge to edge display. Spent most of the afternoon setting up the phone. It's awesome, though my iPhone 6 Plus is still #1 for me.

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @M in LA: I am glad you like the phone, but I am specifically interested in holding the phone. Do you find that you have to be more careful in touching the edges of the phone and inadvertently activate an action? Or can you get a firm grip on the phone's left/right sides without launching something?

9. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I have the S-View case from Samsung, which is a flip case (like those wallet cases). So I haven't directly held the phone in my hand. Because it is a mad fingerprint magnet, I put the case on it as soon as it arrived.

What I can say is I have accidentally activated the edge options while swiping/touching the phone in other apps or displays. It is sensitive, but not horribly so. As I am still working with the phone (in getting it the way I want it), I can't give a more specific answer. As I use it more, I will return here and give an update. The phone's display is incredible.

KevinJames likes this.
  10. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  11. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I have experienced the sensitivity of the edge display. Sometimes I go into something on the phone I didn't intend. I haven't noticed the camera issues, but then again, I don't use the camera much anyway. So far, I love the phone. The battery is OK, but no match for the iPhone 6 Plus, considering the S7 Edge has a significantly larger battery.

I will do a review of the S7 Edge in a couple of weeks.

QLR and KevinJames like this.
  12. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I can say, after having the S7 Edge for over 3 weeks, the sensitivity issue affects the entire display. The edges just add more to accidentally touch. When the phone goes into something I didn't intend, it drives me crazy, but the phone is too good for this to be a deal-breaker. I can live with it.

KevinJames likes this.
  13. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @M in LA: Thanks for your candid and frank assessment. I'm also glad that overall you are pleased with the device. I still have another 5 months before the Note6 comes out.

14. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    You are welcome. I used to hate Samsung with a passion (after their horrible SCH-a790 World Phone for Verizon, back in 2004), but not anymore. I really love the S7 Edge. It is an exceptional device and it truly lives up to the reviews it's received, IMO. I can see myself using this phone for the next few years. If the S7/S7 Edge series is THIS good, you can bet the Note 6 will be as well. You are in for quite a treat!

15. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @M in LA: Just one itsy bitsy little note: I've had 3 Samsung smartphones and my wife has had 2 or 3. So total 5 or 6. After two years, they all tend to get a little "buggy." My Note3 will be 3 years old by the time I upgrade and it has been having some issues. I will however say that my wife S5 (now 2 years old) is holding up excellently. I even offered her to upgrade to the S7 and she flatly refused. So maybe Samsung's quality has improved. So if you only keep your phones 2 years, you will actually never experience what I have with the bugginess.

JFB likes this.