Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

"EDGE" Speed???

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Jordan2005, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint PCS, Nextel,
    I know that i have asked like 500 q's about EDGE but here is 1 more, Last 1 promise!!!!! Is this an EDGE speed????

69.9kbps???????

IDK..... i did this test when my phone has the "E" symbol on it. Then i did it with the "G" i got

25.6kbps..........

Whats this diff and how do you tell if its "EDGE" or "GPRS" or "E-EDGE"?????
    speeds????? Thanks!!!! Also what does "GPRS" peak at and "EDGE" peak at as well as "E-EDGE" What is the fastest they can go?????

What is kbps as well????? is it kilobits per second? Thanks!

T-Mobile says that my area is VERY spotty, Almost none they said...... Does ne1 know if they will be expanding it to my area soon?????
    If so, when maybe????? They have already 24 towers in my area (from sac all the way 2 Chico) I'm in the middle. so does that mean me 2????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ok, let me see if I can describe it, basically EDGE stands for Enhanced Data Rates for GRPS Evolution, it's a upgrade of GPRS technologies allowing for more timeslots per user.

Here's a cut and paste of Wikipedia on Edge:

Technology
    EDGE/EGPRS is implemented as a bolt-on enhancement to 2G and 2.5G GSM and GPRS networks, making it easier for existing GSM carriers to upgrade to it. EDGE/EGPRS is a superset to GPRS and can function on any network with GPRS deployed on it, provided the carrier implements the necessary upgrades.

Although EDGE requires no hardware changes to be made in GSM core networks, base stations must be modified. EDGE compatible transceiver units must be installed and the base station subsystem (BSS) needs to be upgraded to support EDGE. New mobile terminal hardware and software is also required to decode/encode the new modulation and coding schemes and carry the higher user data rates to implement new services.

[edit] Transmission techniques
    In addition to Gaussian minimum shift keying (GMSK), EDGE uses 8 phase shift keying (8PSK) for the upper five of its nine modulation and coding schemes. EDGE produces a 3-bit word for every change in carrier phase. This effectively triples the gross data rate offered by GSM. EDGE, like GPRS, uses a rate adaptation algorithm that adapts the modulation and coding scheme (MCS) according to the quality of the radio channel, and thus the bit rate and robustness of data transmission. It introduces a new technology not found in GPRS, Incremental Redundancy, which, instead of retransmitting disturbed packets, sends more redundancy information to be combined in the receiver. This increases the probability of correct decoding.

EDGE can carry data speeds up to 236.8 kbit/s for 4 timeslots (theoretical maximum is 473.6 kbit/s for 8 timeslots) in packet mode and will therefore meet the International Telecommunications Union's requirement for a 3G network, and has been accepted by the ITU as part of the IMT-2000 family of 3G standards. It also enhances the circuit data mode called HSCSD, increasing the data rate of this service.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

GPRS:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPRS

On to your other questions, kbps/Kbps is distinguished from KBps, that capitalization is very important. I'm not sure if you recall the difference between bits and bytes, a capital B generally symbolizes bytes (8 bits = 1 Byte.) Normally when we're talking connection rates we're talking Bits not Bytes, that's why a 1.5 megabit connection only equals out to roughly 140 kilobytes/sec download.

Tmobile is slightly behind on the edge upgrades so if you're bouncing between gprs and edge, then edge is probably you roaming off of Cingular while GPRS is probably Tmobile native coverage.

Got so far ahead of myself that I forgot to mention general Edge vs. GPRS speeds

Generally GPRS maxes at around 60Kbps, Edge at around 150Kbps, all depends on what class you have on your phone and what's around you, how many users are on the network, etc etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ive had bursts up to about 280Kbps on EDGE, but you should see an average of about 150K when youve got that E on your phone.

4. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    so I am sitting right under a tower right now and getting a slower speed than I get at my house!!! when my icon switches from G to E my signal drops WAY down..... like to 1 or 2 bars. then back to 4 or 5 with G..... why is this?

5. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Your area must currently be during the period of an integration, a cell that you're not directly in has been upgraded, yours hasn't yet. Give it another week or two and you should be ok.

6. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):

Thats what i thought too..... But it has been doing this for at least 5-6 weeks now. I wish there was an EDGE map i could look at or at least force roam off of Cingular to use their EDGE. Its much faster......... Today i peaked at 98.6kbps!!!! I was so happy!!!!! And i only had 1 bar of reception!!!!! but then it switched back to GPRS....... How dews every1 else test their speeds???? i go to CNET and do their test..... How bout u?

7. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    98k? Wow man, you need to hop on an EVDO connection. I'm on one bar right now and downloading at around 270kbps.

8. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hah forget it, UMTS is the way to go :p

9. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I 2nd that!!!!! UMTS is gonna be so fast when i get it!!!!! guess what, i woke u this morning and my MDA had a full EDGE reception!!!!! Its running faster than ever at around 150-198kbps!!!!!! I maxed out at 276kbps...... but this is only my first day with it!!!!!

10. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Heh congrats, I'm fixing to head to Germany, so UMTS here I come, gotta get rid of my MDA though and get a TyTN yay. Will let you know what the end result is.

11. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wats the TyTN for all of those not in with it? :browani:

12. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The TyTN is the new MDA/8125 also known as the Cingular 8525 and T-Mobil (european Tmobile) MDA Vario II. It has a faster proccessor, is UTMS/W-CDMA capable, better camera, and several other hardware improvements over the Wizard/MDA/8125.