Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

E815 EVDO tether to MacBook not going well (please help)

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by ccmac, Sep 2, 2008.

1. ccmac

ccmac New Member

I've spent many hours trolling through the forums and Googling and have yet to find a solution that works to allow tethering to the Alltel EVDO network. I am very fond of my E815 and have no issues with Alltel and very much want to tether to my MacBook for mobile Internet accesses. After spending 20 hours over the last few days on this I've still not been able to get it to work. I've tried to clearly note my efforts below in the hopes that someone will be able to spot the issue and advise me on how to get this working. Please read below and advise.

Equipment and software

Service Provider - Alltel
    Phone - Motorola E815 (CDMA)
    Laptop - Apple MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Operating System - OS 10.5.4

What is working

Successfully paired phone and laptop via Bluetooth
    OBEX working correctly
    Established a dial-up networking (DUN) connection to my ISP at 14.4 Kbps using Apple Generic Dial Up modem script
    I can also use the phone (not tethered) to access Alltel's Mobile Web Service

Here's the info for how the serial port is setup
    Name - Motorola Phone-Dial Up Ne-1
    Protocol Modem
    Service - DIal-Up Networking Gateway

Require Pairing for security checked
    Show in network preferences checked.

How I've set up to connect to Alltel's EVDO network

(E815 showing several bars and EV)
    Selected from Apple modem scripts - Vendor Sprint / Model PCS VIsion
    Select Motorola Phone-Dial Up Ne-1 from the in service pane In Network Preference. Airport is turned off.

Telephone Number - #777
    Account Name - myphonenumber@alltel.net (my phone number is being entered as a 10 digit number without any dashes)
    Password - Alltel

When I hit connect there is a beep from the phone (indicates Bluetooth connecting) and the backlight comes on. There is nothing happening on the cell phone display though. After 10 or 15 seconds I get an error message on the MacBook

A modem error occurred. Please verify your setting and try again.

Here's what the Console states
    Mon Sep 1 10:50:24 2008 : setting the port speed to 230K
    Mon Sep 1 10:50:24 2008 : Dialing without tone
    Mon Sep 1 10:50:24 2008 : Dialing #777
    Mon Sep 1 10:51:34 2008 : CCLExit: -6019 (Modem error, modem not responding.)
    Mon Sep 1 10:51:34 2008 : Connect script failed

I also tried to connect after choosing and applying the Generic Dial Up Modem which behaved differently. When I hit connect the phone beeped and then beeped again a second later

No carrier detected. Please check phone connection and try again.

Console info
    Mon Sep 1 11:03:08 2008 : No carrier.
    Mon Sep 1 11:03:08 2008 : CCLExit: -6021 (No carrier.)
    Mon Sep 1 11:03:08 2008 : Connect script failed

I downloaded and installed (put in Modem Scripts folder in Library ) 3 other scripts that reportedly should work but didn't. All three scripts show up under "Other " in my modem choices as three different models. I selected and applied each separately with unsuccessful results. Please see the details for each as they differ from one another.

PC Intel EV-DO 1.0
    When I hit connect there is a beep from the phone (indicates Bluetooth connecting) and the backlight comes on. There is nothing happening on the cell phone display though. After 10 or 15 seconds I get an error message on the MacBook

A modem error occurred. Please verify your setting and try again.
    From the console
    Mon Sep 1 11:06:09 2008 : setting the port speed to 921K
    Mon Sep 1 11:06:09 2008 : Dialing without tone
    Mon Sep 1 11:06:09 2008 : Dialing #777
    Mon Sep 1 11:07:19 2008 : CCLExit: -6019 (Modem error, modem not responding.)
    Mon Sep 1 11:07:19 2008 : Connect script failed

SprintPCS
    When I hit connect the phone beeped and then beeped again a second later
    From the console
    Mon Sep 1 11:09:15 2008 : Dialing without tone
    Mon Sep 1 11:09:15 2008 : Dialing #777
    Mon Sep 1 11:09:15 2008 : CCLExit: -6021 (No carrier.)
    Mon Sep 1 11:09:15 2008 : Connect script failed

Verizon Support (PC5220)
    When I hit connect the phone beeped and then beeped again a second later
    From the console
    Mon Sep 1 11:11:19 2008 : Starting Apple Verizon Support CCL
    Mon Sep 1 11:11:19 2008 : Connecting to Network
    Mon Sep 1 11:11:19 2008 : CCLExit: -6021 (No carrier.)
    Mon Sep 1 11:11:19 2008 : Connect script failed

I'd be glad to see any discussion and take advice on how to get my MacBook and E815 successfully tethered to Access the Alltel EVDO network.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

The password is alltel for one, not Alltel.

3. cvicu1972

cvicu1972 New Member

Hey Chris. I had issues getting my pismo up and running with my cell phone too. Customer service was worthless. Yes, they know jack*** about apple. I ended up getting the bluetooth working after I looked at the modem script and selected the bluetooth adapter option. (I have a bluetooth adapter since the pismo doesn't have that bluetooth built in, so I don't know if your modem script reads blue tooth.)
    I found that I actually get faster download speeds (600-800 kb/s) using the usb data cable, versus 200-300 w/Blutooth, so, selecting modem scripts, select the one that says something about usb cable sony or something like that. I am away from my computer for a few hours, I can check later.

I have the samsung hue, and there is an option on the settings>phone settings>PC connection, using the phone as usb mass storage, usb modem, bluetooth, no connection. Depending on how you want to connect to your book, usb or bluetooth, select the corresponding option. Of course, your phone options may be different than mine...

Good luck.
    Jason

4. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

You're quite right that CS couldn't help - because this is a SOFTWARE issue and not hardware (at least not the phone). Explain again how Alltel should support the software that somebody else manufactures? They shouldn't. If I have a problem with a program on my computer I don't blame MS; I talk to the support for the company that wrote that program.

5. ccmac

ccmac New Member

I posted to several forums but didn't receive any replies that led to an immediate answer. I decided to try the data cable method of tethering with a Dell laptop running XP SP2. Immediately the phone showed up. I installed the Alltel provided drivers and set up the connection. I ran into the same issues as with the OS 10.5.4 on the Intel Duo Macbook. I tried another XP machine with not luck. I decided to try my wife's old Moto V26x and it worked at 1X speeds on the Dell. I then tethered the V26x to the Macbook thusly

Once phone was connected via the cable
    -check hardware profile to make sure it's recognized
    -open network preferences
    -click the + (plus sign) at the bottom of the network preference pane
    -a popup will open and click the drop-down and select the phone that now appears at the bottom of the list and add it.
    -setup up as such

telephone number - #777
    account - name xxxxxxxxx@alltel.net (xs = 10 digit phone number for your cell phone
    password - alltel

click the advanced button
    select "generic " from modem list and "dial-up" device from model (Sprint PCS also works as may others)
    dial mode is - ignore dial tone when dialing

select PPP tab and switch to configuration and uncheck echo packets (seems to go much faster this way)
    click OK to go back to net prefs and select apply
    make sure AIrport or any other connection is inactive

hit connect and the phone will flash and read "packet data' and the connection is made

Speeds were slow on the Moto V26x but it did work - around 100k

I concluded that my 2.5 year old E815 had some sort of hardware issue - most likely the data port so is I went out locally and bought a refurbed Motorola V3m did the setup as above and it worked immediately. Speeds have varied depending on location. Very close to a tower I was getting ( I still can't believe this)1200 kbps. At home, I get about 500 kpbs. Other parts of town between 100 and 250 kbps.

Overall I am very pleased with the set up using the V3m.
    -the phone charges via USB cable while connected
    -I've got the Alltel $25 unlimited data plan so I am not worried about usage.
    -In the places that I know I"ll be using, connection speeds are acceptable for my needs.

6. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

You should find a device with Rev. A capabilities for more speed. One time I got 2400 kbps down and 412kbps up or something like that being by a tower in Wichita tethering my 6800 to my laptop. That makes it faster yet. You could find an older 6800 for Alltel probably on eBay or something and just switch to the Smart Choice for 69.99/mo. and get unlimited data that way. I use the 89 package for texting.

7. cvicu1972

cvicu1972 New Member

I'm glad you were able to get hooked up! Congratulations! Check www.evdoforums.com as they have a lot of information on using your cell phone as a modem. I guess there's a forum for almost everything out there...

Jason