Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WEST U.S. -- Dropping Data, Text & Dumbing Down Phone

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by R32VW, Jul 20, 2011.

1. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I am thinking about dropping my 200 mb ($15 with employer discount) data plan b/c my current use is 58.78 mb and I honestly rarely use it. I'm dropping text messaging (I used to have the $5/200 plan) b/c I just don't need and don't want the temptation to reply to someone else's text (I plan to have at&t disable texting). I think that if I drop the data plan at&t will "force" me to choose a dumbphone - no problem there as I still have my trusty Nokia 6126. My Captivate will probably revert to brick status. I will also drop the $4.99 insurance.

My voice plan is Nation 450 Rollover & 5000 Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes and this works well for me. I plan to go to the Lynnwood, WA at&t company store for all of these changes. Can the just re-use the SIM card from my Captivate? I read on the at&t forum that if a smartphone's sim card is used in a dumbphone then I may still be charged for a data plan (the one that I used to have). My contract is up Jan. 2012 but I honestly don't mind paying the ETF if these changes will be a hassle. Maybe I'll check out a Boost Mobile's phones and plans............. (I live near Seattle, zip 98028, and have great coverage with at&t; also, I rarely get out of Western WA).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    You have to change the phone before you can cancel the smartphone data plan. You can put the SIM card into the phone you are going to use. The changes you propose have no effect upon your phone number. You do not even have to go to a store. You can do it through Customer Service after you switch phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R32VW

R32VW Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Captivate
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks, Earl. I may just drop at&t entirely and go with TracFone or Virgin prepaid or something. It would be nice to have texting at times..........