Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Dropped iPhone 6

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by viewfly, Apr 5, 2015.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    its been a bad week.

My phone is always, always in some case when I'm out of the house. But one night we were going out. I wore dress pants and had no plans to use my phone. So, hey let's go naked, without the case! I didn't want the weight in my pocket.

It was fine. Driving home, since the phone felt so thin and light I didn't do what is normal for me— take the phone out and placing it in the car somewhere.

Got home, exited the car and heard a thud, scrape and sliding sound. The phone had slipped out of my pocket partly, and then with some force fell from car seat height and forward onto the garage concrete. Back down, but slid a good 4 feet. I think it must have flipped once too, but I can't say for certain.

I should have know better. I almost lost an iPhone 3GS when it slid out of my pocket, again naked, onto a taxi seat. Another story. Cases are good for keeping phones in men's pants it seems too!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    No broken screen, hit the corners and the camera ring, but the camera glass is fine. The back has minor pits in it. Heartbroken though and I spent a few hours cursing Joni Ives for his stupid adherence to soft aluminum and impractical designs that look nice but require a case.

Anyhow what to do? Any of my cases would have protected the camera and corners, but the case would have been scratched or torn. So buy cheaper cases if that is your worry.

If I make use of ATT NEXT, I will need to replace under AppleCare. But it needs to be more damaged than this. So what to do? Go naked and see how I fair? (I'm convinced that a never drop phones in cases. Maybe I need to recalibrate my hands for naked phones?). OR do I experiment with different cases to see how they good they are for protection, you know what I mean? Any suggestions. Or do I just keep the phone, like a scratched new car, and live with it as normal. The cases, any cases cover all the damage.

Some photos. The corner gouges are deeper than the photo can show. Also the rubber seal is pushed in somewhat.

#1 viewfly, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    If I could add, I work new construction and once thinner, more fragile phones with 5" screens came out, I've lost track of how many cracked screens I've seen at work.

Carrying a phone in your pocket has always been a popular way to carry your phone, but it can put a lot of pressure on a phone. You don't need to have tight pants to put a lot of pressure on your phone.

Put a CD in your pocket and sit down or squat down, then look at how much the CD is bending in your pocket.

When I switched from a Nokia N8 to Samsung Galaxy 2, I switched to a belt clip to avoid a cracked screen caused by my pocket.

3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I had belt clips for my Nokia's and some iPhone phones. However I am a klutz with them. If there is a doorway I will get the door jam nearly all the time.

I have had good luck with the pocket in my front pocket. Never broke it bent a phone in a pocket yet!

palandri likes this.
  4. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Wasn't there a few reports of people with a bent iPhone 6? or was that a hoax?

5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    There were a few, only on the 6plus, not the 6. But they died down.

But they were always odd— it took white fingered pressure to deform it a bit, something that I wouldn't expect to happen in a pocket, without the owner realizing it. People who actually measured the force, said it took over a 100 pounds of pressure to do that.

There were some rumors that Samsung hired people to bent the phones and post. Indeed many were first time posters. If that were true, now Samsung is paying the price- there new S6 bends at the same force, AND the glass breaks. So they are having their bad PR time now.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...edge-just-as-bendable-as-apples-iphone-6-plus

No doubt one can bend any large metal phone with enough force. Apple was replacing them at first, but, I believe stopped. The numbers were very small, and maybe it was a defect that passed through, or they were suspicious.

I really don't know. Certainly my 6 never bent and it is always in my front pocket. But I'm smart enough to feel that the phone is under stress and remove it, just like any item in my pocket.

6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    viewfly likes this.
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    That must be the Samsung model. They always lead the way with the big Phones!

charlyee and KevinJames like this.
  8. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    touche!

viewfly likes this.
  9. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Are there any tools to smooth or sand (for lack of a better word) out dings like that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It's a gouge. There are some aluminum fillers but I can't image the finished product would look better.