Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Droid questions

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by LonghornBob, Oct 22, 2009.

1. LonghornBob

LonghornBob Member

1. Will I be able to use my iTunes on it?

2. Will it be "better" than the iPhone?

3. When the hell can I get it?

Thanks in advance for any answers you might be able to give me. The Verizon people won't say squat...

2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    First & foremost the phone has not been released, anything right now is pure speculation.

1. Possibly, although this is not known yet.

2. That will be a matter of personal taste. Some will say yes some will say no. YOU will be the only person who can answer that for yourself.

3. All rumors point to the first part of November 2009. Personally I think that is about right. Although anything is possible.

The Verizon people have very good reason to not say anything. Chances are very high that they know about as much as you do. If they do have knowledge of it, they would be wise to keep quiet as they most likely could lose their jobs.

3. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

All we can say at VZW is that it is coming. It is based on the Android platform, an open source code platform. Android is a very robust code source. I've seen some demos of what it is capable of and it is amazing, and anybody can add to it. Open Source is great.

What will the implementation be? They haven't announced this, or the release date/pricing, yet. I've seen a picture of the phone but that's all.

4. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The leak yesterday showed 550MHz, which clocks it in a little slower than the iPhone 3GS and Palm Pre, which are using the same platform according to earlier rumors. The display is about 2x resolution, which will be nice for webpages and the 16x9 format nice for playing videos. The LED flash is going to attract a lot of people that want better pictures without a separate camera. SDCard slot is a big advantage (16GB listed as included). Video capture is limited to 24 FPS at DVD quality rather than 30 FPS.

Considering that 2.0 is a big release (and potentially exclusive to VZW for a while), its possible they are trying to target the 2 year anniversary of Android's release (Nov 5, 2007).

EngadgetMobile

5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. rschofield

rschofield New Member

I am drooling to get my hands on the Droid. I just hope that Verizon doesn't shoot itself in the foot by disabling/crippling features on the phone as they have with others in the past.

I'll read thorough reviews when the phone is released before I jump.

Dick

7. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

VZW can't cripple anything on the phone. It is fully Open Source meaning VZW won't have license to cripple anything. Oh, and anybody can write apps to it. You could, and market the app, if you obtain a copy of the Android Source Code and know how to program.

8. LeeInLA

LeeInLA New Member

Has anyone used a phone with an Android OS for push e-mail using a Yahoo e-mail account? If so, is the e-mail delivery reliable? I know that the Droid will be new to the Verizon network, so I am wondering about Android push e-mail reliability vs. my BlackBerry Thank you.

9. LonghornBob

LonghornBob Member

Thanks for the responses.

My hope is that someone programs/hacks/whatever, the Droid to enable iTunes. My biggest issue with Verizon is that I have to have two devices (phone and iTouch) and I'm about sick of it. Carrying two things in and out of the car and so forth is just wearing me out. I don't want to switch to AT&T, but if I can't use my iTunes on this Droid I'm gone to AT&T. I've waited patiently, but 6 of my 11 phones will be out from under the Verizon contract restriction on November 17th and when the 18th rolls around if there's no way to use my iTunes on a Verizon phone, I'm ghandi.

10. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I have yet to find a phone that can replace my iPod. Of course I have over 50GB of music on it and I"ve never seen a memory card that big.

11. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I know the feeling. My Alltel Diamond has not enough room for my music. lol