Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Droid Applications Recommended

Discussion in 'MOTOROLA' started by MOTOhooligan, Nov 21, 2009.

1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I thought it might be nice to have a place to share the apps for Android we've found that are useful.

Here are some of the ones I've found most useful and the ones I use every day marked with an *.

Advanced Task Killer* (This should be the first app downloaded to any Android device, IMHO.)
    Allows you to kill any active apps. Very useful.

DockRunner**
    Only available for the Motorola Droid, this app allows you to put the Droid into "dock" mode, where it functions as a weather station, music player, alarm clock and photo frame. Probably my favorite app so far since it meant I didn't have to spend money on the docking station.

Android LightSaber

Google Skymap
    A map...of the sky. More fun than useful but pretty cool, regardless.

Pandora*
    Music.

Slacker*
    More music.

Moov*
    Pretty cool, puts all your applications, etc. into scrollable list form.

Weatherbug*
    Weather.

Calvin and Hobbes*
    "New" Calvin and Hobbes comic each day. How could you not want this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  2. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    OK, some that I use and like

Bar Code Scanner - scan any bar code with the camera, then google it for description, and cost

Android Wallpaper - change your background

Free Caddie - for playing gold, uses GPS to show distance from the hole,

Documents to go - free version (you can upgrade to full version)

Mabilo - preview and down load ringtones and other sounds

The Weather Channel - name says it all, nice widget too

Steamy Window - allows you to fog the screen, and use your finger to write in the steam. Then blow into the microphone hole to re-steam. Fun little app

Visual Voice mail - self explanitory

Handcent SMS - allows you to customize the look and sound of sms messaging, many options

Astro File Manager - is what it says

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YelloMunky

YelloMunky Old Fart

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    GDE Home-changes the theme of your phone, can have up to 7 pages of apps

Gdocs-memopad app that syncs with your google acct

Droid coupons-scan a barcode and find out if your product has a coupon for it

iMusic-free mp3 downloads to your phone

Jetflicks-watch TV shows on your phone

Magic 8 Ball-three guesses and the first two don't count

Mototorch LED-flashlight app that works pretty well, but don't expect a Surefire...

NYC Subway Map-for us Gothamites

Schottgun-for coworkers

4. ctx89

ctx89 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    are there apps to view and create my MS Office docs? How about a MS Outlook app?

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow! Yello, how have you been?

6. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My droid has outlook, you can create and view MS Office docs with documents to go.

7. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I thought I'd jump in here too. I've had the Droid since 11/6 and I love the functionality of this phone/machine!

Here are the apps I've downloaded:

Shazam -- great app for identifying music realtime. Want to know the name of a song or an artist? Hold the Droid up to the speaker and it'll identify it for you! Pretty accurate for the most part... tried it on 10 different songs...could identify 8 of them.

DockRunner -- explained in the OP
    Handcent -- great, customizable IM client
    Twidroid for Twitter -- decent Twitter app

ShopSavvy -- I find I like this better than BarCode Scanner. More accurate and you can create lists and the like. A little more functionality and options.

Google Voice -- enough said! I love that you can also do SMS on this via the Droid and it won't count against your text messaging (I don't have unlimited texts...)

Google Sky Map -- a fun app

Wifi OnOff widget -- to turn on/off Wifi in the blink of an eye from the Home screen

Bluetooth Toggle widget -- to turn on/off Bluetooth from the Home screen

Pandora - music radio

Backgrounds -- lots of options to change the background picture... I'm changing mine about 2-3 times/week and they're always coming up with new pix!

The Weather Channel -- great weather app

I've been a part of the droidforums.net and found that the App Killer isn't really necessary as the Android system really does a great job of monitoring/managing it's own OS... I haven't downloaded it and so far, don't see the need to... but that's just me.

Hope this helps!

8. bojana

bojana New Member

Great list of apps, i would only add Sportypal - for mapping my cycling routes and runs. Workout Details | SportyPal

9. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    wave secure. it won this year's ADC award.

here's a blurb

Android Developer Challenge

"WaveSecure
    WaveSecure is the an innovative security product that provides users with complete mobile device and data protection. It enables users to remotely lock down and track down lost phones, get a copy of their data securely backed up, and remotely wipe data of the phone to protect user privacy. WaveSecure has been selected by leading Global brands such as Nokia as their preferred choice of mobile security service for premium S60 users in India and is one of the highest revenue generating Value-Added-Service (VAS) with the lowest churn in SingTel. tenCube has been selected as one of the Top 100 Tech startups in Asia by Red Herring and one of six Asian Innovators by Wall Street Journal; WaveSecure has also received numerous industrial recognition including the Mobile Monday Peer Awards in Singapore and is nominated a finalist in GSMA’s Asia Mobile Awards 2009."

It's in beta right now for Android, but its working pritty good already. There's normally a monthly subscription, but if you get it before Jan 31st, you can a free lifetime subscription....

#9 Stupiud, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  10. YelloMunky

YelloMunky Old Fart

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Doing good bud!

Couple more:

Battery Status-I chew through the battery every day...can't wait for the extended comes out

DC Metro Map-GF lives in the MD/DC area

Evernote-handy to upload files to my PC

NYC Subway Map-As a NY native, I still find this useful

PhoneMyPC-so I can control my home PC remotely from my phone

Where's My Droid-I have the tendency to lose remotes and occassionaly misplace my phone

ScreenModeWidget-turns off the autolock

Quick Profiles-set up ringer profiles like in the Blackberry

11. Jimmie the Mum

Jimmie the Mum New Member

These are all good. Thanks for posting them. I just got a Droid yesterday.

12. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    **HEADS UP**

Just got my bill for last month and I found out that the codes to remotely activate the various features for WaveSecure actually come in the form of a TXT message. Further, these messages are being billed as an INTERNATIONAL SMS message, so usage fees apply ($0.20 in this case per message).

I'm trying out another competing security program called "Mobile Defense" who's remote codes are considered domestic SMS (and thus no international usage fee for ppl with TXT plans). Mobile Defense's program has a nice 'stealth install' feature, where the program is not listed in the normal applications menu thru the phone's system, so install the unauthorized user must go thru the app store and uninstall thru there (wouldn't be the first place i'd check).

The remote connection and program itself for Mobile Defense (MD), however is not as robust as WaveSecure (WS) system. In fact you can actually bypass the Mobile Defense's remote lock feature simply by pressing the back key (a bug I'm sure will be addressed and seems to be only limited to Moto Droids). The MD defense website also is not as robust as the WS one, but I'm sure the MD website is still evolving as this is the company's first try. WS on the other hand already has up and running full featured subscription based security system available to other handsets (IE Symbian and WinMo).

$0.20 per message needs to be weighed against the cost of a new replacement phone and I suggest you try out both (as they are free for the time being) and weigh out the pros and cons.

As for me, I decided to keep both. :cool:

13. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Just downloaded Swype (a new keyboard) to my Droid...still learning how to use it, but preliminary feedback is this is a nice, new type of a virtual keyboard... worth looking into, but you cannot DL from the Market. You can DL from here: Swype keyboard preview for Droid leaked DroidMuff.in

14. LarryBrente

LarryBrente New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola WX260
    So I do not know how to use them all the functions