Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

DPI prevent tether?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by unc417, May 25, 2011.

1. unc417

unc417 New Member

My carrier is finally getting ready to release froyo for the desire. I was hoping that the android tethering would be left in, but I don't mind using something like pdanet if I have to. My question is, I found a press release from my carrier that they are starting to use Sandvine DPI tethering discovery technology, probably to do tiered data plans with extra charges for tethering. Based on what I know of DPI, since they are looking at your traffic they will be able to tell if I'm tethering regardless of how I do it? This is the response I got from pdanet for how to go around this

Try to install PdaNet 3.0 from
    Download PdaNet

Then enable Settings->Hide Tether Usage->Level I

Also uncheck Settings->Use Google DNS

Will this work? I only need to tether occasionally and I think it would be ridiculous for me to have to pay extra to tether when I hardly use any data (outside of wifi) anyway.
    thanks