Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

downloading files (custom ringers)

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by tacomalo, May 23, 2006.

1. tacomalo

tacomalo New Member

i have a samsung a900 phone.
    i created a website over at tagtag.com so i could upload a custom ringer.
    when i navigate to the file using the web browser on my phone, it wants to open the file rather than download it to my phone (same goes for pictures i've uploaded to the same site... the borwser opens the image instead of downloading it).

i read through the manual, and went through every menu i could find, but could not find a way to save the files onto my phone.

i saved the ringer in the .mmf format and created it using some info i found on this page.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=332857

2. RoyalFlush

RoyalFlush New Member

My Phone:
    MM-9000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Nextel, Verizon
    i use to have the a900, now i have the mm-9000, anyways on both phones i use or used funformobile.com and they work perfectly, just upload and they text it to you, and i used this with the a900 with no problems let me know if it works for you

3. tacomalo

tacomalo New Member

i uploaded the ringer to funformobile.com and sent it to my phone, i followed the link and downloaded the ringer, however, it still doesn't show up as a valid ringer.

when the file was downloaded, my phone told me the file would be would be placed in View and Shop and it also told me i needed a handler to use the file.

i don't know where thr file was saved to, it doesn't appear under my content or in the media player.

thanks for the help, but i'm stilling missing some step.

also, browsing on funformobile.com it doesn't list the .mmf format as a valid ringtone format the a900, it lists mp3, acc, midi and qcp.

4. kwayit

kwayit New Member

Did you convert to .mmf format?

One of the links here, not sure which, led to a tool to convert wav or mp3 to mmf for ringers. I'm getting ready to try it myself.

5. kwayit

kwayit New Member

.mmf went to Applications. No good.

.mp3 went to ringers and I was able to associate it. But, it doesn't make sound when my phone rings.

samsung a900

6. tacomalo

tacomalo New Member

i got it to work by converting the .WAV to a MP3
    i tried a very low quality setting initially, i had the same problem, the phone recognized it and associated it with the ringer, but no sound.

i ended up using CD quality for a 10 sec clip, came out to 120kb and worked fine.

i wonder what the limit is on the length of a ringer? is it possible to use an entire song as a ringer?

7. kwayit

kwayit New Member

hmmm, Ok.
    This I'll have to figure out because the wav files that I have and converted to mp3 are in the quality that they are in, I can't control that.

I'm not sure about the length. One of the links in this forum led to a demo of Sony sounds software. I added .8 seconds of silence to the end of my ma bell old style ringer to give it a silence between and saved it in a loop.

Its good news that you got it to work. If I can get to that point I'll make quite a few ringers before the 30 day software demo expires.

8. tacomalo

tacomalo New Member

i used the demo version of Sony's Soundforge to convert my original MP3 of the song into a 10 second clip and saved it out using the options of Soundforge's MP3 save dialog.

apparently the newer samsung phones don't support the MMF file format anymore.

i'll try making a new ringer from scratch, just in case i missed a step

9. kwayit

kwayit New Member

Soundforge and saving as CD quality is the solution!

Thanks for your help, I got the ringtone that I wanted.

10. tacomalo

tacomalo New Member

i'm having troubles now with the ringtone skipping when someone calls...
    the ringtone plays back fine when i'm scrolling through ringtones, but skips when someone calls...
    maybe the phone is trying to play back the ringtone before the ringtone has been fully loaded?

11. kwayit

kwayit New Member

Do you think that you might be running into a time limit? I added silence to the end before the loop but now wish that I had not because the phone has a pause as well.
    That pause may be what is clipping you.... sounds like a time limit to me.

I'm saving my file again at a higher volume, it was too quiet. None of this is intuitive or easy.

12. tacomalo

tacomalo New Member

it was skipping at the beginning of the ringer clip, as if it was stalling the playback because it hadn't finished loading the entire clip. when the ringer looped back to play a second time, there was no skipping, which makes me think the ringer isn't being loaded fast enough for playback.

i saved out the ringer at a lower quality, using the FM quality preset for MP3s in soundforge and the skipping went away.

its a 10 second clip 80kb in size.

13. kwayit

kwayit New Member

How is the volume for you? My custom ringers seem to be 2/3's as loud as the factory ones. Annoying. I've even increased the volume in the Sony software and saved it for a second time.