Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Download Froyo (2.2) for Your Motorola Droid ! ! !

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by Stupiud, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
  2. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No thanks, I will wait a bit and see how this goes with other people first. My phone is rooted, and I have tried a few ROMs and overclocked it, so far so good. I also think some of the people building 2.1 ROMs will get a hold of 2.2 and start putting together ROMs with 2.2 as the base. So I might wait till then. But if I take the plunge will let you know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I saw a thread on one of the forums where the poster put Froyo on his droid. Then he posted his Quadrant benchmarks. They put him over the N1.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Stupiud

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Don't blame ya, I'm waiting too.

5. Stupiud

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The whole 1ghz 'snapdragon' processor is misleading... I think I'll stick with arm cortex processors for the near future... I think that guy was overclocked past 1.1ghz.

6. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well I tried it, I was less than impressed. In all fairness, I don't believe this 2.2 is ready for prime time yet. If you watch the video as he installs the ROM there is an error that comes up something like "no App 2sd partition found skipping format of sd-ext, can't mount dev/block/mmcblkg2". He just continues, which I did too when I tried it. I have never had a ROM give an error during loading that turned out to be any good, and this is no exception. I found it to be slow and clunky. I also found some apps like Helix launcher that would not work with the new 2.2 ROM. So for now I re-did my Droid from a backup I had done before trying 2.2.

7. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Lets call this Froyo 2.2, version 2 :D

I did a little research on version 2.2 an decided to give it another go. And things were much better the 2nd time. The first time I was in an area with weak signal, and since 2.2 once you sign in downloads your contacts, and apps, it was taking a while which might explain why things were slow, and clunky. It was still probably downloading apps in the background. I re-did it today and this time I got all my apps back in about 20 minutes, sometimes 4-5 were downloading and installing at once (try that i-phone). Once everything synchronized I was pleasantly surprised.

Pros - runs smooth and stable, no force closes,
    Cons - some apps not 2.2 compatable (yet).

Over all I liked it. And considering this is still beta looks very promising. Some of the ROM developers are already working on new ROMs built on 2.2 so I can't wait to get my hands on some of those.

1 person likes this.
  8. Stupiud

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Do you have root? If so, did the WiFi tethering work for you?

9. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    yes i rooted my phone, never tried wifi tethering

10. Stupiud

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    The reason I ask is due to some reports that the new update broke wifi tethering (ie directed users to the Verizon website to add the feature at an additional monthly fee)

When you get the chance, do you think you can test it out for me (the broken tethering is my biggest concern that prevents me from taking the leap)?

I use this program to tether (there is a QR code for the market): android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

TIA!

11. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well I am no longer using the stock 2.2 Froyo, I am using a ROM by Chevyno1 called Simply Stunning 4.3, he claims the tethering works in his ROM. I find this ROM to be extremly fast and stable. Here is the link with more info.

Froyo Source-Built SS 4.3 [7/1/2010] - 360 Degree Desktop/Launcher/Phone - New Icons! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum