Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

DON'T GET SPRINT

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Oct 4, 2001.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    G,

Good point. Hardly anyone will know about the retention deals. The only ones that do are the wireless internet junkies that go around reading the newsgroups and that sort of thing. It's a VERY small percentage of users.

2. ajulius

ajulius New Member

My post said that coverage area is in the eye of the beholder. In my area where I travel, its in that order. But for any person looking for coverage, they need to TEST USING TRIAL PERIOD. End of discussion. Coverage is always different because 2 people in the same area travel different routes. So even though it could even be the same town, its different parts of town. What I was saying was just the order it was for me. For a customer looking for information, your right its not that relevant, but nevertheless that was my experiences from what I have used or heard.

In terms of the retention deals. That indeed is the only thing keeping existing customer. Everyone I know knows about them. Not because they knew what a retention deal was initially, but alot of people wanted to cancel, and they only stayed because of the retention deals. They knew people for example who had Verizon in my area which had alot better coverage and the America Choice network plan. Its a more competitive plan in the NY area. But with the retention deals, Sprint PCS is back in the value seat.

Only SprintPCS gives out retention deals currently to my knowledge. They do this because they know it keeps their position as the #4 carrier in terms of customers. If they didnt need to do it, then why do it? Because they have the choice of becoming #5 or further down the line, or creating debt just to keep the subscriber base active. On the retention deals they do not make money. They lose money on these people. It is the only reason I am still a Sprint PCS customer. As well as alot of people I know. Everywhere I look this is the same case. This can not last forever, as Sprint PCS is burning funds up too quickly.

I am not saying Sprint is the worst or the best. I am merely saying that the retention deals are keeping their subscriber base in tact.

3. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

yes sprint has retention, but its only a small fraction of the consumers. You kinda exaggerated a lot

4. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So, on the contralateral side of that argument, I know no one on a retention deal. To me, retention deals have nothing to do with retaining their customer base.

As far as why Sprint provides retention deals- I think it's smart. The other carriers would be smart to do the same. Remember that a new customer is not profitable for several months depending on their plan/phone subsidy. To keep a customer that has become profitable (even at the expense drastically reducing their profit) is better than spending the money to get a new customer. It is also one less customer that will go to the competition. Of course Sprint would like to keep a major analyst indicator , churn, to the minimum also. I think the average cost of attracting a new customer is between 400-500 dollars per customer.

I wholeheartedly agree that people should use the trial periods given by the carriers to test them out. It is the only advice I'll give out to someone unless I have direct first hang experience in the area being asked about.

G.

5. Nick22182

Nick22182 New Member

Larry are you assosiated with Sprint in any way?

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    No I'm not. I'm not associated with any provider except being a customer. Why do you ask?

7. skyhawk

skyhawk New Member

I can't agree more. I tried Sprint about 2 years ago. The offer was fantastic - loads of minutes. The phones were sleek, sexy and cool. By the end of the 2 week trial I was given, both my wife and I were so disappointed with all the dropped calls, lack of service and the not even being able to make a call from our house (Central NJ). In NYC, you could walk from one corner to another and go from a full signal to a dropped call that looked for a roaming analog signal. After waiting over 45 minutes (yes I swear it's true), finally a customer service idiot told me that the phones were not guaranteed to work IN YOUR HOUSE. Funny, the commercials all showed the Sgt. Friday clone sitting in someone's living room and showing how nice the service works. Several calls to customer service later (every one of them kept me on hold for well over half an hour before a live person came on, and some of them just transferred me to a busy signal or hung up on me altogether) When I said I wanted to cancel, they offered me free roaming for another 6 months. My reply was that if I wanted to be stuck with a 2 year committment to a plan that drops calls and doesn't work half the time in the NYC, NJ area. (Even the guy in the store in the Flatiron Bldg on 23rd. St said it might now work there in by the store) I'd have to be an idiot. Fortunately, I was within my 2 weeks to cancel, so there was no argument, but I was getting bills for MONTHS after for calls I was not responisble for! Finally, it got resolved, but man what a bad taste it left in my mouth and I caution anyone thinking about it DO NOT GET SPRINT!

My recommendations for the NY/NJ area are Voicestream and Verizon. I have just left Voicestream, although I was very pleased with the service where it was available, I need a phone that works in the boonies as well. I just started with Verizion and so far I am very happy with the AC Family share plan. I got 2 LG VX1's for $100 bucks each from a vendor. The price in the Verizon store was $150 each.

Your mileage may vary, but Sprint should be everyone's absolute last choice as far as I am concerned, and I gave them a very fair try.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think an experience you had two years ago has any bearing on today's service. A lot can and does change over two years time. Sprint won a JD Power award for NYC last year and many say they are in the top two carriers for NYC and I believe it. And by the way no carrier can or will guarantee a phone will work inside your home. That's what the 14 day trial period is for.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

2 years ago is VERY long in terms of wireless coverage. Maybe its about time you moved on and stopped your whining.

10. bornbare

bornbare New Member

JD powers award or not, Sprint either has the greatest service ever, or the worst service possible. Customer Service for Sprint will leave the impression that Sprint is run by unintelligent, rude people who can care less about you as a customer. I have been dealing with Sprint reps for almost a year, and each person had a different answer, or no answer at all! Even if Sprint became the best wireless company around, I still wouldn't go back to them because of their lack of concern for their consumers. And I do agree with everyone when they say to try out the trial period. My mistake was not cancelling with Sprint during that time...I don't recommend Sprint in the NY area at all, the hassel isn't worth the great minutes, especially when you can't use your minutes because of no signal! But again, every opinion is just that, AN OPINION! take everyones advice, but don't just follow it blindly! Try everything out before you make a commitment!

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I totally agree. [​IMG] I had a bad experience with another provider way back but I'm over it and haven't mentioned it in years.

12. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

I agree with you that sprints customer service is horrible. I called them myself a few times, and had them make up stuff when they didnt know what to say. They felt kinda stupid when i told them i am a sprint employee. I guess they dont have very high criteria for hiring people. But I seriously disagree with you that sprint has bad coverage in NY. And that is a combo of my oppinion and fact ...........more fact. And I also disagree with you discrediting awards....they dont just hand them out to anyone who comes along. Sprint has to have done something good to get it.

As for your bad experience with sprints service, are you sure it wasnt your phone? you wouldnt believe how many people mistakenly blame sprints service for bad or defective handsets. Ive had people scream at me "sprint sucks" because they couldnt use it in their basement. Also had someone threaten me because he claims he should be able to use his handset out in the rain if he wanted too. Again another person who thinks "sprint sucks"

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    lol. I guess some people have expectations that are too high these days.

14. bornbare

bornbare New Member

nah, I got my phone looked at 3 times, had software upgrades, and still had bad service, and as for poor service in NY, I have to still go with my claim that Sprint doesn't offer the best....I live on the island and I would get no service, inside or outside my home, plus I used to goto school upstate and visit friends upstate, and still, no service, even in the city I would encounter dead zones. I'm just going on personal experience. Sprint would give me months of free serivce, but it wouldn't do any good when I couldn't use my phone in the first place. Maybe I was one of those unlucky customers that couldn't get a break no matter what, but here on the island, there has been nothing but unhappy campers (at least from who I know) and you know its bad when you walk into a radio shack or best buy and they advise you to go with another service, but again, USE THE TRAIL PERIOD!

15. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Ok this thread has gone on for wayyyy to long. I think it's about time somebody ended it.

Can anybody close this one out?

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I totally agree but can't do it myself. IdiOTeQnLogY if you're listening pleeease end this one. [​IMG]