Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

DON'T GET SPRINT

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Gman

Gman Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Larry-

Thanks for the Welcome. Actually, I read about the 2255 group elsewhere and have joined already.

G.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Oh good to hear you already joined [​IMG] Hey stick around here for a while because most of the Sprint users on WA seem to just disappear after making only a couple of posts.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Look Larry, come here in NYC/Jersey City area and try sprint and then spout off about their oh-so-good service...if you honestly believe that just receiving the JD Powers award makes them the best in this area then you must be incredibly naive. They well and truly stink! Their customer service reps are clueless and I'm dropping Sprint ASAP!

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    It really annoys me when I read posts like above. Anonymous posters pop in and out of forums like these, making grandeous statements, attacking the regulars and then disappearing. Now, I don't like Sprint either, but at least I'm man enough to say without hiding behind the "anonymous" mask and then attacking others.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks Kevin. I think I'm entitled to my opinion. I don't think Anonymous posters should talk to us senior members that way.

Hey Anonymous why would I want to come out to NYC/Jersey? I'm getting great service here in So. Calif. and that's all I need. Why don't you come out here and try it?

6. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

I like sprint!

7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

I have had sprint for 1 year on the dot almost in the NY/NJ/CT area. I have had perfect coverage throughout the city (brooklyn and manhattan), all through northern nj and down to the jersey shore, and the few times i went to hartford, ct had digital coverage all the way. I have rarely had dropped calls, though i have had some; and since upgrading my phone to a 5150 ( FOR WHICH there was no charge, whoever said that is straight up lying through their teeth; i activated my new phone on the phone with a customer service rep) also I have never been overcharged on my bill. I have 1 close friend on sprint who has had the same experience as myself, in fact his raving about quality of calls and signal all over the same areas is what prompted me to try them out. One time due to a misinformed customer service rep. i payed $12 (to western union & a&p for service charges) to pay my bill via western union and when i called up sprint to get that money credited it took less than 2 minutes with no hassle at all from the rep. I have had some long hold times to get a rep sometimes, and sometimes short waits. Sometimes checking my minutes from my phone doesnt work but 95% of the time it does and is accurate to within calls ive made up to the 15 minutes prior. The mysprintpcs web page i get when i log in is free and is very informative. When i had at&t in the ny/nj area and went to a chinatown store to mod my nokia; they also sold cell phone service from at&t, verizon, nextel, and sprint and all of the guys in the store said sprint had the best service in the city, even though they were glad we had at&t cause they made a killing modding and selling accesories for nokias which sprint didnt really carry at all. Also I am giving my girlfriend my old sprint phone and after speaking to a rep when she activates we will both get a $30 credit on our bills (as larry posted). all these anonymous ****talkers I think are just here to spread misinformation.

TO THE GUY WHO SAID VOICESTREAM WORKED on 9/11... My girlfriend, 1 of my close friends, and 6 of my coworkers all had voicestream and their phones didnt work at all for 1 week during that time period, (in fact the customer service rep my friend spoke to tried to blame it on 9/11 saying voicestream was having problems, BUT i was getting strange error messages when calling my girlfriend and coworkers the DAY BEFORE 9/11) . I remember talking with my friends saying how messed up it was that the voicestream rep was using a national tragedy to blame things not workin when it was the DAY BEFORE that he started having the problems with the phone. while my sprint phone worked fine. We all live in North Jersey within 10 to 20 minutes from nycity.

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I agree about the anonymous posters. I wouldn't take what they say too seriously. Oh and that's cool that you got the $30/$30 for referring and giving your old phone. I just convinced another friend to switch to Sprint so that means I'll get another $20 credit and she'll get $10 in the regular referral program. [​IMG] I think this is the fifth time I've done this now.

9. vanessa

vanessa New Member

I like Sprint too![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Sprint is good, I do like making fun of them all of the time..............but being serouis for once.........Sprint is not a bas company. It is just small coverage right now.........which they are building up.[​IMG][​IMG]

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would have to say that their coverage is no longer small. Maybe it was a couple of years ago but they now cover over 85% of the US population and have really beefed up their existing covered areas this year.

12. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

What I was meaning was roaming agreement, rural, and off hwy coverage. Sprint is a hwy phone company.[​IMG]

13. IdiOTeQnoLogY

id say its a bit more than a highway company [​IMG] its digital coverage is a metropolitan thing not a highway thing. at least in my market sprint PCS service covers the ny metropolitan area with excellence (and yes as well as all the highways venturing from there)

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Same here in the West. Sprint covers more than just highways. They have extended coverage into places such as Lake Havasu, Parker, and Kingman Arizona. In N. California they even have coverage in Eureka where most carriers do not.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks for the link to that article! I especially liked the last segment where he spoke about Sprint wanting to offer unique phones instead of the way the European makers market their phones to just about everyone else. It's been a big advantage for Sprint in adding new customers.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I TEND TO ALWAYS GO WITH CUSTOMER EXPERIECE AND THIS CUSTOMER JUST SOLD ME ON NOT GOING WITH SPRINT. PHONE COMPANIES NEED TO KNOW WORD OF MOUTH IS THE BEST ADVERTISEMENT AND THEY NEED TO LEARN HOW TO DEAL WITH THEIR CUSTOMERS, SO AWARDS DO NOT MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO WORD OF MOUTH TOO BAD TOO BAD! IM NOT GOING WITH SPRINT BECAUSE OF WHAT WAS SAID.

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey man, why don't you turn the cap lock key off next time.

19. IdiOTeQnoLogY

I dont get it. I mean I get the parts about the Customer Service issues. I have definitely gotten some not so great CS reps. I also have gotten some that bent over backwards for me and made great suggestions. I can understand the bad CS issues; although part of the time it is irate customers callin up very hostile and setting reps off. I mean a rep's job is to remain calm under those situations but I guess they all dont.

The part I dont get is the coverage part. I mean first off no matter if your home is in the coverage map you should still check it out first either by having someone you know with a carriers phone spend time where you spend time; or using a trial period. Every carrier has its dead spots. Even Verizon who I'll give has the largest coverage due to its massive analog system working in tandem with its digital has its dead spots in the middle of its coverage areas. My parents home in NJ is SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE of a very populated NY metropolitan area totally covered by verizon but my sister had a hell of a time gettin a signal at their house which is not in a mountainous or backwoods location by any means. Or my coworker with Verizon who had problems as well right near a major highway. Both these places were within 2-3 miles of a Verizon wireless store. Sprint and all carriers have these problems. Some more than others.

I see posts from people that say there sprint phone didnt work at all or was always static laden or had no coverage here in NY area!! I have had sprint service travelled around north jersey, Manhattan & Brooklyn VERY OFTEN and to Connecticut a few times for a year now (I had a full signal inside a concert center in Hartford, CT to see TOOL) and barely found any dead spots; have had 1 network busy signal as well. A few of my fellow ex-coworkers (i dont work there anymore) had the same experience and a good friend of mine who turned me on to sprint also has had top notch service both here in NJ/NY/CT & Boston and when he travelled to Los Angeles. The only time he didnt get service was when he went to Vermont but since then they have added service in the city he was in Vermont, I dont remember the name.

I guess Sprint picked me and said; you know we like this guys name, he is going to get a signal in all these spots but these other customers WILL NOT! Sure in some areas sprint is not so good. If I was travelling to rural areas I would have gone with Verizon.

Just so everyone knows I am speaking of sprint service in the NY/NJ/CT areas if you havent figured it out already.

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I can also say that Sprint coverage here in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA is top notch. The service is also excellent in Las Vegas, Reno, and Phoenix. San Diego is fine in the heavily populated areas but in the outskirts of the county I have found some dead spots which are supposed to be improved very soon. Every time I travel around this area I'm constantly watching my signal and there are very weak spots left. This includes both outdoors and indoors at places like malls, restaurants, grocey stores, etc. I have watched many new cell sites go up in the past two years and just when I think the coverage can't get any better, I find out about yet another tower going up! I also like to personally take credit for some of the improvements which I wrote up trouble tickets for a few years back when Sprint was still small. I'm also amazed at all the new coverage Sprint has added in Arizona this year. Some of which is not even on their coverage map yet. Vermont has long been a state where most carriers had little or no presence in. Sprint now has added two key cities to their network in Vermont. Sprint also covers most of Mississippi where I don't think Verizon has much of a presence. So what I'm getting at is that Sprint has greatly expanded their nationwide network big time just this year alone.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

I live in suffield ct. I have tried Nextel, SNET, Verizon and now Sprint.

Coverage: Worst of all 4. I can 't even keep calls foing long enough to use up my minutes. Once in a while it switches into roam and I get a strong signal (who does Sprint have it's peering relation with...I need to swtich to that service).
    Customer Service: Painfull at best. Web based help just tell you to call their 800 number. The 800 number has so many prompts I can't keep the signal long enough and usually drop the call.

All I want is a cell service that works. Anyone know who covers suffield ct?

22. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    what was the problem with verizon?

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  23. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I wouldn't usually recommend Sprint in most of the New England states. Tough zoning restrictions and their 1900 Mhz frequency prevent them from establishing a solid network. This is an area where PCS 1900 has a disadvantage over cellular.

24. ruddy64

ruddy64 Member

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Whatever works for ME!!!
    I had the same bad expiriance with customer service of Sprint and Verizon. Firsts are icompitant (sp) and abnoxious (sp) and the seconds are liars. However if you go with ATT their CS will treat you like a king/queen. And their service is not that bad eather.

25. MaTTK

MaTTK Junior Member

I'm not a heavy user (avg. 60 minutes/mo.) but I've had a good experience with my 2+ years with Sprint PCS. I do a fair amount of travelling too and always have a good signal (except when driving between Chicago and Des Moines).
    Sure, the automated help service sucks but it's good for Sprint in being cheaper to run and to help keep the "pests" away.

Matt

26. bornbare

bornbare New Member

I just cancelled my Sprint PCS service because of the horrible reception and customer service that Sprint offers. Now, I can't comment on how Sprint is Nationwide, but on the Eastern seaboard its horrible. I live on Long Island, and I'm lucky my phone has service 1% of the time. I travel a lot and everywhere I go I encounter horrible service; dropped calls, signal fading, no voicemail notification. And what makes matters worse is the lack of intelligence Sprint representatives have! I have probably called Sprint close to 20 times trying to get questions resolved and all I have gotten is a run around from everyone, including managers!! Plus, they don't have a uniform way of dealing with problems. From one representative I couldn't get my cancellation fee waived, from another I was told I can get $50 off, and from a Manager I was told I didn't have to pay anything, although they couldn't cancel my service themselves. Sprint shouldn't even advertise coverage on Long Island until they figure out how to have more then a sliver of service. PLUS the nearest Sprint Store near me is 30 minutes away! I work full time and am a full time student, I really don't have time to treak out just to be told that they can't do anything for me. I wouldn't recommend Sprint at all due to all the problems I have had service wise and customer service wise. If you live on the Eastern seaboard, go AT&T (what I'm probably going to next) great national plan, great customer service, no bull

27. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    [​IMG]I agree with you 100% Sprint cust.service reps are lucky if they know where they live.They have know clue about what is going on within the company.Go with AT&T.They are very good and their cust.service
    reps very polite,curtious.and professional.Their plans are very good and you can change plans at anytime
    without penalty.Good Luck!

28. ajulius

ajulius New Member

Alot of people I know have Sprint in the NY area. This is not because of coverage quality, but because the price initially was the cheapest, and now they are getting retention deals so the price is again cheaper for them. If Sprint PCS eliminated retention deals, the churn rate would be enormous. This is the only thing keeping their user base high. If you look at the current rate plans, Sprint is no longer the most competitive for new users and Sprint is now facing a lower growth rate. If you look at coverage improvement, Sprint PCS has enormously improved their coverage in Long Island, NY even though there are still plenty of dead spots that I still find. But these are usually off the beaten path such as on the smaller roads. In my area on the South Shore, my coverage used to be 3 or 4 bars at home and has gone down to 0 bars and it will connect, but not for long and I will get signal fade. So actually while in general coverage has improved, in a few areas coverage has actually got worse.

I happened to notice that Nextel appears to be the carrier adding the most antennas on Long Island. Nextel is finally paying off debt, and if you look at the listing of new permits going up from Newsday (Our local newspaper for those not in the area), the vast majority are for Nextel. Nextel appears to be gaining alot of momentum. I would say that Nextel coverage on Long Island is probably the weakest still and they have the most catching up to do. Most of their new antennas will be in areas already covered by other carriers. But they are indeed getting the permits for new antenna locations. Sprint PCS used to be adding alot of antennas on Long Island and that has slowed down somewhat. However there does still appear to be some new towers going up by looking at permit activity. I know that Verizon in my area added towers because of a May press release. But Verizon coverage generally is the biggest in this area to begin with. I dont really know anyone with AT&T currently on Long Island. But the licenses now owned by AT&T here used to be Cellular One during the analog days and when it was analog I knew people with Cellular One and the coverage was good then. And Voicestream/T-Mobile from what Ive read the coverage is probably worse than Sprint but better than Nextel here.

In terms of coverage in all areas, its all dependent on the providers themselves. Use the 14 day trial period and test the phone. If its not good, cancel and try another. In terms of customer service, most of the providers have sales reps that will mislead you in order for them to make additional revenue. Get all details IN WRITING. If they will refuse, then dont use them. In terms of regular customer service issues like billing problems and the like, everyone has these problems and you just need to deal with them. Remember, choose coverage first then price in your area. Dont do the reverse because then you will be extremely unsatisfied.

29. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

Saying sprint sucks in NYC is just ignorant. You should go get your defective phone checked out, and not blame the service there. Ill give you an example of what i have to deal with. The samsung 3500 (1 of sprints most sold phones)is notorious for their broken earpieces. If you move the flip up and down, you will hear crackling sounds. That is just the first sign of trouble. Most people think that crackling sound is "static" and will go around saying sprints sound quality sucks. Thats just ONE example! I am born/raised in NYC, and have lived in many parts of it. Sprint has incredible coverage in NYC.

30. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    " If Sprint PCS eliminated retention deals, the churn rate would be enormous. This is the only thing keeping their user base high."

What percentage of users do you assume know about the retention deals? If would have to be enormous to make your statement true.

"And Voicestream/T-Mobile from what Ive read the coverage is probably worse than Sprint but better than Nextel here"

Are you basing your knowledge of Voicestream's coverage on forum posts? What about your knowledge of Nextel's coverage? If you don't provide current, specific first-hand information instead of second-hand , third-hand or conjecture based info , it carries no weight for the discerning wireless user.

G.