Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

DON'T GET SPRINT

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Oct 4, 2001.

1. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Well I myself work for the cellular carriers and the Sprint service is one of the worst minus MCI Worldcom. I live in the NYC area and there are a far too many of fellow colleagues that I work with who believe they shouldn't have one that JD power award. They are obviously in some politicians pocket in the city and probably lobby into this persons campaign. But all the dealers really can't stand them and I speak for the majority of the metro area. Most who carry the service are primarily desperate for business or like my company have been carrying them all along. This company (sprint) appeals more to the lower class buyer who does no research and just needs to get approved easily. In my opinion Sprint should pack it in.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Boy, you know, as much as I don't like Sprint either, your post makes so much sense. Ya, if I were Sprint I'd pay off a politian in a single market so that the politian would pay off JDPowers so that Sprint could win one award. Makes perfect sense to me. Can I have some of what you're smoking? :)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm here to say that unfortunately i have sprint service. I switched from AT@T to Sprint because their plans were so appealing. Now if I would have known that my phone was going to get turned off atleast once every month or that I would be getting billed for minutes I never used then I would have never switched. I have been screwed by them so many times that I should now be the mother of atleast 60 kids. I urge everyone out there to stay away from sprint unless you have several thousand dollars you don't mind giving them.

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey CellguyNY they won that award fair and square. Just accept it.

5. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Just to clarify to larry a little about sprint in NYC or just in NY State in general. The first company my company endorsed was Sprint PCS and to tell you the truth JD Power Award or not there are too many customers who complain about them in this state. People all the way from long island and from as far out as upstate Syracuse, are just not happy with that service, so wouldn't have it been a better idea for them to win a award in California (LA) perhaps because they should be better with there billing there service. There is a sprint bill atm machine at my store and i can vouch for several hundred customers who have done the billing process and have had there phone turned off the following week due to sprints billing process and i called up sprint customer service for a fellow customer wh siad they received a bill for over a thousand dollars due to the fact that they never received a bill from sprint since they began service with them back in the summer. I spoke to a representative by the name of Tom and he told me that a bill is a courtesy that should know when to pay there bill. So ever since that my store is considering dropping there service.

6. TeKola

TeKola New Member

Updated...Sprint Services still sucks....12/12/2001

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I believe those kinds of billing errors are very rare compared to the amount of subscribers they have. You only hear about them when people go looking for a place to complain such as this forum. I've talked to all of my friends and family members who have been long time Sprint customers and nothing like that has ever happened. I suppose they just have decided to single us out here in CA to be nice to right?

Larry

8. hobojim

hobojim New Member

I am a current and soon-to-be ex Sprint customer.
    Here is my two cents worth on this. Sprint is all
    right in terms of their ability to carry and connect
    calls. They are not the best and they are not the worst.

What Sprint has a problem with is customer service.
    I tried to pay my bill yesterday via their website and I
    got the message saying that the authorization system is
    current unavailable and call back in one hour. I then tried to pay it using my cell phone and I got the same message.

I then call customer service and told them this
    and the tone I got from the guys I spoke to is that I was either lying, have an IQ of 45 and using it wrong or smoking some weed and was hallucinating. I would rather he told me that outright but he was speaking in that insincere,fake-curtious tone which we've grown to love. He never bother to verify my claim and dismissed my request to do so. Basically he said that if it was down other customers would have called and since he did not get the calls I must be mistaken. This logic was so flawed I became speechless and dumbfounded.

Am I nuts or is this unacceptable?

Jim

9. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Hobo:
    Once again welcome to the forum and your not the only one here who is on bad terms with sprint as far as there customer service. I being a dealer in New York henceforth the name CellguyNy have seen there misdeeds more than enough times and usually when i have a customer who wants to return a phone up here its sprint because of there lack of service. You're in the terms that they are not the worst but they certainly are not getting any better with there service. There phone sales reps are simply horrible to the dealers and there not to much better with customers and some how they won the JD Power award up here and i've read more complaints about them than appraises. The only one who defends them well is larry on this forum and i give him all the respect in the world, but i would hope in the future that there service improves for there sake and my sanity as a dealer for them.

CellGuyNY

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well I think it's because I'm the only one who has the guts to defend them on this hostile forum. LOL There have been others but they just don't stick around and become regulars like I have. Sure there are problems with customer service but what I don't get is why anyone really needs to go thru them anyway. I never do. Just pay my bill the old fashioned way, by mailing a check and not having any need to talk to them. The online system is very good and usually works but of course there will always be certain times when it overcrowds, nothing's perfect. The real issue with CS is that Sprint is adding too many customers too fast and it's hard to keep up with.

Larry

11. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Dear Larry:

First off I would like to commend you for sticking to your guns with the sprint issue, but sprint is not the only one who is working too fast every company has this sort of problem and its usually the customers who get frustrated and angry when there wireless carrier does not pay attention to them it even gets worse when the dealer doesn't help them by at least letting them vent a little about there problems with there wireless carrier, But its not just Sprint everyone is having problems similar to this and each company has been trying to expand there customer service and occasionally with every job you have a few bad fruit who don't want to help the customer they just want there friday pay check and out thats why I think what Voicestream started (REP ID's with name) might help a little more I would like to see sprint and some of the other carriers utilize this method so we can keep future customers happy.

CellguyNY

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Another thing that's happening with Sprint is that they are adding plenty of new customer service reps and centers but then they keep adding an unexpectedly high number of new subscribers and so it offsets it. Other carriers might be in the same boat but Sprint is way ahead of the pack in adding new customers per quarter.

13. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Sprint may be ahead of the pack but for every customer they gain every quarter I wonder how many they lose in ratio to that, thats something i would like documented for all the carriers, Don't take offense larry its just something thats on my mind not just about sprint but with everyone else as well.

CellguyNY

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I took Sprint as my first ever cell phone here in upstate NY and expected reasonable coverage and quality. That same weekend I had gone to Conneticut. So I used it in all for just 3-4 days.

Her is waht I felt.
    1) It did not have good coverage at home. (very low maybe 1 points as shown by the phone)
    2) Had no coverage in Conneticut

And as it was not working at my home and Conneticut which is where I often go then I do not want this cell phone and returned it.

I hardly made any calls and used up around 30 minutes total (that were mainly when I was on the highway I-87) with a hissing noise though and finally ended up paying around 40$ but had to struggle with Customer service. as they had mentined that there are no connection fee and when I wanted to disconnect they wanted to bill me additinal 50$ for the same. And I remember I had made very sure that the saler reperesentative had mentined specifically that I do not have to pay any connection fees.

Finally had a bitter memory left with me and decided not to go whith Sprint.

Just one more thing around the same time one of my friend also had bought Sprint and recently I heard him saying he is having a lot of problems with the coverage while he is at home.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Did you check out their coverage maps first? Their maps clearly show that Connecticut is only partially covered. As for your home, it's impossible for carriers to provide good coverage in every residential area due to tough zoning restrictions so it's best that you move on and try another which might have had better luck serving your area.

16. Uwdsr

Uwdsr Member

I would have to agree with Larry. I had Sprint service about a year ago, then switched to Verizon because Sprint WAS horrible. However, I just switched back to Sprint because of appealing plans. I need a national plan, and Verizon's are not very cost-efficient. I have to say that currently, Sprint works extremely well, both in Philadelphia and in the Madison, Wis. markets. I have none of the dropped calls, random voicemails, or system outages that I had a year ago. Unfortunately, Sprint has a bad reputation, but it is not so bad anymore. I have also had Cingular in between, and they were MUCH worse than Sprint. The point in fact is that most people do not do their homework before purchasing phones. They expect to get a perfect bill, which will never happen. And in terms of "free and clear," Verizon and Sprint pretty much have the same DIGITAL footprint, it's just that Verizon has analog towers also. When analog is phased out in 5 years, the playing field will be equal. I laugh when people complain that their first bill is $120. When you buy a phone, they TELL YOU it will be that much due to pro-ration. Did you people just forget?

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Uwdsr,

Thanks for the support. There are some who say that I'm the only one here who has had success with Sprint. Now I have someone who agrees that the service is much improved and it is. Yes not everyone does their homework before purchasing a phone and because of it have too high of expectations. I would even bet that some of the claims I've seen of overbilling may not even be true.

Larry

18. TeKola

TeKola New Member

Coverage maps are also a lie from Sprint. My home is clearly within Sprint coverage maps (South of the LIE in Syosset), but there is no signal, weak or dropped signals there. Sprint says I am in a fringe area. I am about 2 miles below there coverage limit in their brochure.
    Absolute BULL___!

19. Uwdsr

Uwdsr Member

Another great thing about Sprint is that you can change phones WHENEVER you want without signing a new contract. For example, if you've had a phone for two months, and are tired of it, just go to any electronics store and buy a new one. It's true you won't get the mail-in rebates on these phones, but places like Amazon.com always have $50 off all wireless phones, and even Best Buy sometimes has $30 instant rebates. These rebates don't require new service agreements. This sure beat Verizon, Cingular, and AT&T, who will charge you ridiculous prices if you are an exisiting customer. This is especially important as the 3G network is introduced, and old phones are incompatible.

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    At least Sprint provides coverage maps which are more detailed than anyone elses. Most carriers just claim to cover everything. Sure the maps are not always going to be completely accurate and they even state on there that they don't guarantee coverage in all of the covered areas shown. There are pockets that are just too small to be seen on the maps.

Uwdsr is right about being able to switch phones whenever you want. A very good feature with 3G just around the corner. This is one advantage that Sprint has over others that no one ever seems to point out on this forum. The best way to go about doing this to activate your new phone online and the activation fee is waived. I'm still on a rate plan that doesn't even require a contract and can keep the plan for as long as I want.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

I have had a great experience with Sprint. Customer service has usually been prompt, and have credited large amounts me several times when I had problems. I do alot of travelling, and like the fact that they cover so much of the country for what some companies charge for their local or regional service. I even was given credit on my bill for recommending a friend. If you keep in mind that cell phones are a little unreliable no matter who you are with, and can handle a dropped call from time to time without having a heart attack, then you won't spend so much of your time ranting here!! :)

22. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey anonymous,

I agree with you. I also received a $30 credit for referring a friend and having them activate my old phone and they also received the same $30 credit. Worked out great for both of us.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks to Anon about the Northeast thing. I got on to check about service: kudos or complaints in NW RI and all I got to read about was CA, etc. So, if anyone has recommendations for that area, let me know.

24. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have read all the comments being mentioned about sprint.I
    know how happy and how upset all of you are,however no one is
    forcing anybody to stay with the carrier.If you are not happy
    then just get service with another carrier.I have been a sprint pcs customer since the company first launched service.
    For(6)years now i have had nothing but good&bad experience
    with the company.With all wireless carriers,everyone has some sort of problems.I drive a limousine here in nyc.Since i travel all over the tri-state area,i need a carrier that is going to give me what i want&need.That is coverage.Over the
    last (2)years,sprint has increased their coverage all over the
    U.S.The only thing that i do not like about sprint is that if
    the weather is bad,their towers seem to fade out.My calls will go directly to voice mail even though the phone is ringing on the callers end.I Complained many many times to
    customer service and each time they will tell me that there
    is a service alert out in the ny area.I finally put an end to
    this problem.I decided to go with voicestream on a full-time
    basis.I had omnipoint which is now voicestream also for (6)yrs
    They started (3)months earlier than sprint.Out of all the
    carriers in the NYC area,voicestream happens to be the best.
    The best thing for unhappy to do is drop their sprint plan down to the $19.99 plan and just pay the small amount of
    $24.00(tax incld)until the contract ends.At the same time,get
    service with another carrier.I have been using cell phones
    for (18)years now back when there were only (2)carriers in the
    area.They were cellular one and nynex mobile communications.
    Everyone has different way's of looking at things.I try not to
    let it get to me.Again,every carrier is going to have drop calls.Also,on 911,all the carriers had lost their service
    except voicestream.I was to call my office to let them know
    that i was alright since i was in front of tower2.I even sent
    my wife an e-mail from the phone.Voicestream is the way to go.
    The coverage ,plans,& cust.service are very,very good.It is
    worth trying it out.

<< Text >>

Text

25. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have been with sprint for (6)years when they had first
    started service in NYC.Except for minor problems,i have not
    had nor experienced any of the problems that everyone is
    complaining about.Sprint happens to be an excellent carrier
    however it is very hard to please everybody.I am one person
    who is very hard to please.I had used AT&amp;T,VERIZON&amp;VOICESTREAM
    in the past.Verizon may be the #1 carrier in the USA but sprint is not far behind them.I bet that if sprint had analog
    service just like verizon,there will not be as many complaints
    as there is.Just think about it for a moment.All carriers have
    their share of problems,and no one is perfect.I travel all
    over the USA,and i rarely have any trouble.NYC has very good
    coverage,however with all the tall buildings around sometimes
    it blocks the signal from the towers.This was a huge problem
    that i had with verizon.

26. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I take back what i said about voicestream.The company is not as good as i
    had first thought.If you stay within the perimiter of major hiways,then there will be no problems.Otherwise,good luck!

27. ayeshaq

ayeshaq New Member

That's not true. Sprint charges you to activate your new phone. I know b/c I've been with sprint for 3 yrs or so now and last year I upgraded my phone. Had to pay around $30 activation fee.

I've been reading this forum to try to figure out who I should switch to b/c I've had it with the dropped calls, no or weak signal, calls going straight to voicemail and never ringing, etc. I agree with the person who says sprint's service has improved in the last year or so (at least people get through to voicemail now and it doesn't take 2 days for your message to show up!) but over the 3 years I've had Sprint their service has gone way down. I did a lot of research before I signed up and back then Sprint was the way to go for me (live in NYC, travel a lot on the east coast, make a lot of long distance calls). Not anymore. Other companies offer similar features on their plans with a lot more reliable service.

Just to be fair, I have to say I haven't had too many problems with the customer service people. I've been able to get through to a human who was pleasant and helpful (although a year ago things were very different -- the customer service # was always busy and if you actually got connected it was a very long wait to talk to someone who basically couldn't help you!) I haven't had problems with my bills (although that may be b/c I never come close to using up all my minutes). I've paid bills online a few times and never had a problem getting it through.

But the actual service sucks. What's the point of having the great plan if you can never use it when you need it?? My plan expires soon and it's adios amigo. Time to move on to a company that understands that the reason people have cell phones is to make and receive calls!!

28. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint does not charge you to activate a new phone if you're an existing customer and you do it online. I activated my Kyocera 2255 online in December and was not charged. It's also a very quick and easy process.

29. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Some of these threads are pointless. You have 'experts' (that use another service) flaming other services layered upon misinformation. Commenting on particular services should be constrained to that which you know. It's great to hear from people that are in the know about providers but hopping on a bandwagon to flame another provider is not appropriate.

The opinions of disgruntled users (ie venters) are irrelevent to others. If someone is considering a carrier, simply use it where YOU need it during the trial period and make your own decision.

GW

30. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Gman,

Welcome to the group. How do you like the Kyocera 2255? I have a user group for this phone if you want to join at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sprintusers/

I agree with you. There seems to be a lot of posters here that like to hop on the "anti-Sprint" bandwagon even though they don't even use the service themselves. However the number of them has greatly decreased this year. I have also seen a lot of misinformation on this site such as the time when someone started a rumor that Sprint was charging a $3 fee to everyone to talk to a rep. LOL But there are also many good ones here who don't resort to those kinds of tactics.

-Larry