Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

DON'T GET SPRINT

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

The fact of the matter is that Sprint is notorious for bad customer service nationwide as well as bad reception in the New York City Metro area, and it just goes to show the failure of these awards. If you want poor customer service and bad reception, yeah, by all means get Sprint PCS. Remember this, those what may seem as great package that offer an abundance of calling minutes may seem a deal at first. But, if you can't use your phone because your provider doesn't have good reception capablilities in the area, what good are all those minutes to you now? I've had Sprint service for 3 years, and just recently ended my contract with them. Over the years, their services has gotten worse and worse. They have done nothing to improve their services, they like to entice new customers into the program with great calling plans, however, once you are bound by that contract, look out!

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well Anonymous, the fact of the matter is that they have won the JD Powers award for the NYC area so there are MANY people who disagree with you. A carrier cannot win that and provide poor service. I would be much more willing to believe the JD Powers study then from what you say.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Stay tuned folks. We're just getting warmed up.

I was just teasing the other day that I should start the first "Sprint sucks" post. But alas, I've been beaten to the punch.

Prior to the overhaul here on WA, rant and rave discussions had proliferated--for and against all carriers. If you have a legitimate issue with any carrier that is unresolved, we want to hear it. If we can, we want to help.

If all you want to do is "vent," we understand that because most of have done that in the past. However, anger without resolution is not good for anyone. (It has been associated with various physical ills.)

Though neither Larry nor I work for a wireless carrier, we have consumer experience and know some ins and outs. Both of us have willingly posted our emails (see our profiles) and both of us are regular posters here.

Beyond that, I know of at least two who do work for carriers and have openly and willingly offered their help on this forum. I have yet to see them post here since the reopening, but I know that Leah is out there, I saw her registration.

Oh ya, just for the record, I am very anti-Sprint for the same reason as the annonymous poster. However, Larry has a point. J.D.Powers indeed does not take lightly the matter of these industry-respected and coveted awards.

Kev

4. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Whats up!!!!!!!!!!??

Yep, Im here Kevin....just been busy selling. =) (Woo-hoo, whats up w/ my picture??!!)

Maybe Ill have to go post a "Sprint Sucks" thread in another Region's Forum...you know I dont even belong in this one anyway. I should be in the RedNeck, Backwoods forum......but anyway. (Tennessee)(Oh, and Im kidding about the sucks thing Larry...for now anyway =)

But can I please hang out w/ yall?? lol My region is boring...guess I better go post, huh?

Well, I HATE to admit it, but I guess Larry's right, Sprint must be doing something right in NYC...cant argue w/him on that one....there OK, (choke) I said it.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Leah,

Good to see you back. I expect to see a lot Sprint haters coming on here and trying to put down the fact that they've won the NYC award as well as St. Louis. Those awards are considered to be the most reliable in the industry. Notice how AT&T walked away with the most and I'll admit that they probably deserve them all even though they are really falling behind the other companies in bringing on new customers. Maybe that's one reason why they've been winning?? Also notice that Cingular only won one award this year which was a tie with Verizon in Houston. Not very good I think for such a large company with established networks.

Anyway I thought I would mention that Sprint just opened their first store in your area of Clarksville, TN last week so there will be new competition for you.

By the way, anyone else hate this new assigned password system?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Larry,

Funny you should mention the new store...they are DIRECTLY across the street from us!! LOL....I havent gotten a chance to go over there yet, Ill probably do that this weekend. Our Indirect Account Exec went over and introduced herself.....the sales reps told her they were not wanting to actually activate customers for 2 more months, UNLESS somebody REALLY REALLY wants the service. (?) I guess maybe until they get their towers in full swing??? I dunno..
    maybe you do???

I have to agree w/ you on the password thingy...I cant remember mine for anything. I think that it will encourage a lot of "Anonymous" users as well, because you do have to "register" now. Oh well, cant please all of the people all of the time.....

7. np

np New Member

Yiu can change your password any time you want.

8. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Ok,,,,i screwed up already, I replied to the email that was sent to me....the anonymous above is LEAH. My bad.

9. np

np New Member

10. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Thank you NP, that helps...guess you have to be smarter than the average computer huh?

11. Liana

Liana New Member

It appears that I agree with JD Powers about as much as I do the movie critics! If they like a movie, it usually sucks, and Sprint sucks. I've recently tried AT&T, Verizon, & Sprint in Manhattan after relocating from California. AT&T worked fine in the Bay Area, but has limited service areas in NYC.

Verizon worked much better than AT&T, but WATCH OUT--you have to read all the fine print and check your bills. I trusted the sales person; my mistake. I was lied to about many things including the phone's features, he also snuck in a 2 year contract despite the 1 year we had discussed, he neglected to tell me that the "2000 Free Night & Weekend Minutes for Life" were only for WEEKENDS on the National Plan, and he didn't bother to tell me that my billing cycle would not begin the day the phone was activated, but would begin again at the end of the week. I think it is typical that a buyer uses their new phone more than usual for the first few days, and in addition, I had a lot of calls to make due to my relocation. I simply figured that I would taper off towards the end of the month so as to not exceed my minutes. I can't even tell you without choking how much this "proration scam" cost me... Many people I have spoken with have agreed that Verizon is dishonest--in fact, I am told that if you want Verizon's DSL service in Manhattan, to expect the same treatment. If you choose to have an alternate provider's DSL line in your home, Verizon still has to prepare the lines for you--expect to go through sheer hell.

Sprint. First, I want to kill "Claire." At the very least, strong magnet therapy might be good for "Claire." "She" is the mutant, patronizing, scolding, spinster elementary teacher-style,computerized Customer Service interactive voice menu that you must "speak" with upon entering the system. Do you want to be spoken to as if you are some sort of blithering idiot, and then duly chastized for not exactly repeating one of the limited options that "Claire" gives you? If so, then go with Sprint. I finally discovered that if I used four letter words, after just 3-4 condescending interactions "Claire" would sadly inform me that I needed help, and she would transfer me to somebody else. I would then be connected with a Customer Service(?) Rep, that was human, if not humane.. Now these Reps are the sort of people that need to learn from somebody like "Claire!" Sprint has attempted to train incompetents to be manipulative swindlers, but they simply aren't smart enough to keep their stories straight. Perhaps they could learn by rote, given some time, though.

I finally to a manager who at least feigned shock at the mess I was in, and agreed that I'd been through hell (some of it was noted on their computer--including their screw-ups.) He immediately gave me his best, and final offer; $80.00 for the 5 hours (yes, FIVE hours) that I had been on the phone with Spring that day--nevermind the previous 10-15 hours in the two weeks prior to that. I can't even begin to tell you every ridiculous thing he said--the best examples are so irrational they would require lengthy explanations. I told him that I didn't want the $80.00--I just wanted my phones to be set up and work as was promised.

Since it was documented on their computer system that I had been cut off and not called back at least twice, amongst numerous other absolute screw-ups, and I also couldn't get through on numerous occasions, or their system was down both on the phone and on-line, all I asked for was a short extension on the 13 day trial period so that we could set the phones up correctly, and I could make sure the phones worked. He refused and practically taunted me since my trial period had ended just the day before. I told him that I WANTED to use Sprint's service because I don't like supporting a monopoly (Verizon,) so he had nothing to lose by fixing my phones and extending this courtesy. He said that he couldn't, but paused, and then rephrased his remark and said in a ____y voice that he WOULDN'T. He told me he and his wife had the same phone, but one got reception in the house and the other didn't--he also later said that they could test whether one of my phones had really not had service by sending a technician out with the same model of phone. I had to deal with other similar contradictions, and was constantly attempting to redirect the conversation back to solving my problem.

My efforts were obviously futile, so I finally just tried to explain to him the concept of customer service, word of mouth, and goodwill to no avail. He told me that for every customer that is unhappy, they have a customer that is satisfied, and they don't need to be number one to make a profit. He then began to rhetorically ask what it really meant to be "rich," and began a monologue regarding the meaning of true wealth! I'm afraid I "rudely" interrupted him to ask him exactly what his point was and then he went off on something else.

Okay, I was admittedly mad by then and informed him that I did not want to have a philosophical discussion. I said I wanted to talk about customer service, or the lack thereof, and reminded him that I was the CUSTOMER and that Sprint apparently didn't have and damned SERVICE! I tell you, the guy was a nut, even admitting that the employees all would give different answers to questions, because they all didn't have the same knowledge--but that Sprint would not be accountable for the misinformation that I had spent hours verifying. He didn't know CDMA from TDMA from a hole in the ground, either.

It ended with me telling him that as Sprint had not delivered what they promised, I would not be bound to their contract even if threatened with collections. However, if I had been given the small courtesy requested, even if the phones had not worked out, I still could have recommended Sprint for their customer service.

So, it looks like there is only a choice between the lesser of the evils in Manhattan. I'll be going to another Verizon store, however, I'll read every word of the contract while I'm there and try to keep track of my calls knowing that I will inevitably have something to dispute on the bill each month. At least you can get a hold of Verizon's customer service, although, it may take several times for them to effect a change. I'm finding that more and more companies are learning that, if they add a few dollars to each customer's bill, they will make millions because most people won't spend hours disputing a few dollars.

Something needs to be done about these corporate terrorists, and I suppose it needs to begin with us all taking the time to insure that such scams are not a cost effective tactic for them anymore.

12. nomeD

nomeD New Member

Hi Kevin and others,

I believe I was one of the employees of a wireless carrier you referred to, I am with VZW and I will always try to offer accurate info to the best of my ability.
    I think I like this new format although it seems a bit more "labor intensive" to get in and post.
    I trust you are well and have had a great day!!

Funny though, I rarely hear anything positive about Sprint, maybe it is because they are not a major player either nationwide or in the two locales I've been, Central PA and now MD.

13. nomeD

nomeD New Member

Liana,
    As I am with VZW I just want to take a sec to respond to the issues you had with VZW.

#1. Misinformation from the sales channel is my biggest peeve also, lying, I wouldn't say that, I would say that the motivation of a sales rep is to complete a sale and they may very well be obtuse when discussing the plan and conditions, to reassure you though internal education programs are always taking place and we try to be a very ethical company at all times.

#2. Phone features, I just want to make a distinction here, are you referring to equipment features or network features? If you were curious about equipment features the owners manual would be your first and best source of information or a call to the equipment manufacturer. Network features?, well a sales rep will review them with you or a call to CS can aid in educating you, also whatever price plan you select will detail what network features are included.

#3. The 2000 minute promo caused tremendous headaches to customers and customer service as many customers saw the promo and interpreted it as 2k N/W instead of 2k Wknd only also many many sales people made that same communication error. When now offer a 3k N/W option on all of our plans with the exception of the national plans, the promo mins. there are still weekend only, the hours being 12:01am Saturday until 11:59pm Sunday.

#4. PRORATES- Probably the biggest issue out there in reference to billing, We have come up with what we believe to be a great solution, when a phone is activated now a document will be printed and given to the customer explaining what they will have as charges on their first bill, i.e.; the prorated access chrg which will be from the date of activation to the bill cycle date and for 30 days in advance(the regular mnthly access chrg) and most importantly the prorated allowance minutes p/op for that initial period of prorated access be it for a day or 29 days.

#5. As to the contract term, In my personal experience I have and will never put my name on any contract until I've read it throughly and I am perfectly clear on what I am signing and for how long. As consumers I feel we have a serious responsibility to take ownership for the decisions we make, when in doubt or unclear seek answers.

I offer this information and my opinions to you with only the greatest respect please don't interpret otherwise.

Make it a great day!!

14. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    NomeD ("Demon" spelled backwards, huh)

Well I certainly hope Verizon is not a Demon in disguise. I plan on starting service with them as soon as LG releases the new TM520.

Wonderful reply. I hope she reads it. She hasn't shown up here since the post.

Regarding Prorated bills. I'm glad you brought it up. I seen this complaint more than once. I've even written:

http://whitehare.topcities.com/ProRated.htm

15. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

I can't personally say how good or bad Sprint PCS is(I admit it now Larry lol) since they don't have service in Ukiah, CA but I have heard mostly positive things about them with friends who have Sprint in Santa Rosa and SF just to the south of me. I can say though that my experience with Verizon has been the best of any wireless company I've ever had, and I've had several in California and Idaho(GTE, Contel, US Cellular, Commnet, PacBell PCS) Maybe when Sprint comes up here I'll give them a try, but I plan on moving to Sacramento or Los Angeles in the next year or two, and I have a feeling I will beat their deployment schedule here. And Leah, you'd have to put me in your boondocks forum too lol, it looks a lot like Tennessee around here, except we have a lot of Vineyards and higher Mountains ;)

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Mike,

Sprint has been rapidly expanding their system in California probably more than any other carrier in the past year, especially in the Bay area, sacramento, and LA. I haven't seen too many complaints from the golden state lately. Now if they can work to get Santa Barbara and north along the 101 up and running they'll be in business. I've heard some sites are on air already for travelers but service won't be offered until 2002.

17. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

They really need to get their service going between Eureka and Cloverdale through Ukiah. I know a lot of people from Eureka that come to Ukiah to go shopping at Wal-Mart and Freedman Bros(an awesome Home Depot type store in Santa Rosa, Napa, and Ukiah) as Eureka doesn't have a Wal Mart, and won't let one be built. They also go to Costco, Home Depot, and the malls in Santa Rosa. And a huge number of tourists from the bay area, as well as allover, visit Mendocino, Lake Counties, and Humboldt County every year. As it is now, they would have no Sprint service from appx.Rio Dell just south of Eureka to Cloverdale, and none on Hwy.20 between Willams and the coast at Fort Bragg. I can't imagine Sprint being too competitive in Eureka until they get these areas covered.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Liana has hit it right on the nose!
    I am a New Yorker and unfortunate Sprint user and I have encountered all the same (and several extra) problems that Liana had with Sprint's crappy (so called) "customer care" department– which mind you, should really be renamed; as they are poorly trained individuals who rarely if ever seem to be able to correct problems on the first call. .....considering that it usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour to even speak with an agent, you can see how time-consuming as well as exasporating this can be.
    I agree with the first person on this list. DON'T GET SPRINT!

19. Guest

Guest Guest

FED -UP WITH SPRINT AND THE INACCURATE REPRESENTATION BY SPRINT CUSTOMER CARE AGENTS (ie: making ****-up and lying outta their ***) . GO TO: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/bcpp&i.htm AND FILE A COMPLAINT. It would be much more effective than if we just complain on this forum. If the consumer protection agencies here enough complaints, then, maybe Sprint will feel the heat. p.s. as a side note: Sprint has had class action lawsuits against them in the past for false representation/ advertising. So, it wouldn't be the first time that they've got themselves into trouble.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

I thought this was the NORTH EASTERN forum? What's all this California and Midwest stuff about. I'm on the Eastcoast, that information does little good out here. Try going to the WESTERN or MIDWESTERN FORUM where you may actually do some good for the folks out there!

21. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well I guess a lot of us regulars here are from the West but we like to go thru all the forums and sometimes we forget which one we are on when we post.

22. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

Hey Anonymous, stop the FLAMING(putting words in capital letters)We can get your point without that, it is very annoying. And what do you care, I mean, if you learn something, what's wrong with that? Remember, these are cellular forums, and just chill out, take a deep breath, and have fun :)

23. nomeD

nomeD New Member

Morning Kevin,

Working a lot lately hence the reason I've not been on, You seem to be on the ball as far a service goes, I trust you will have a "fun" experience in the sales channel. I have yet to see the LG520, do you have a link for it? Love my 510 though.
    Make it a great one!

24. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    NomeD:

"Sales" channel? I don't follow your point. I work as a 2-tier technical support manager for end-user & server maintenance issues.

The TM520 can be viewed at LG's site:
    http://www.lginfocomm.com/home/TM-520_phone.asp

Take care,
    Kev

25. TeKola

TeKola New Member

I have Sprint PCS. It is NOT free and clear. Not at home (North Shore of Long Island) nor at work (Babylon, South Shore of Long Island). It appears to work in the middle of the island, but I seldom use it there. It drops calls, not sometimes, but EVERY TIME.
    I travel into NYC. There I get calls through but with an echo, which Sprint claims is because there is too many towers.
    I does work perfectly inside the Mohegan Sun Casino! But I can't spend more time there for obvious reasons.
    My children laugh at me when I try to call them on my Sprint phone.
    I apologize to my clients at the start of every call, because we "may" get disconnected.
    Bottom line: Sprint PCS totally sucks on Long Island, New York.
    Does anybody know of a service that works on the "shores" of Long Island?

26. Guest

Guest Guest

I switched from US Cellular, who were great; They were always nice, I could talk to a person if I had a question, they never **CKED up my bill, etc; to Sprint. BIG MISTAKE. Since then they
    have made my life a living hell. They tried to triple charge me on the activation thing, and ever since then I have ALWAYS found mistakes with their billing. They are little bit**es when it comes to issueing credits, but I am more of one so I eventually win.

Now the bastards implemented this new thing were you actually have to talk to a machine....hello what happened to PEOPLE! Its bed enough when you have to listen to machines then push a button, but to be required to talk to one is degrading and insulting.

Now to their claims to perfect clarity, I have yet to have a decent conversation where it didnt either drop the call or make so much static that I had to end the conversation prematurally.

There needs to be a link of consumer reports on the Sprint site to warn potential customers, if I would have known about their complete lack and concern for their customers' I would have never switched!!

27. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    The problem is not that there isn't places to post complaints. The problem is that subscribers do not research their purchase. Then, when it is too late, they go looking for places to complain. In the face of overwhelming negative posts, I actually encountered a potential new wireless subscriber here that, even after reading all the negative posts still had the naivety to ask if it was "really all that bad." Though I work at not being rude or sarcastic, I had all I could do to hold back from telling her: Go ahead, you desire Sprint.

There are two reasons people are drawn to Sprint: 1) Their "eye-candy" phones. Admittedly, their phones are very appealing. 2) Their rate plans which are usually cheaper than Verizon, ATT or Cingular. Without fail, those who complain always come to the conclusion: "What good is a great-looking phone and inexpensive rates when the bottom line is you can't use the phone?" The point is valid. Again, they should have looked before they leaped.

As I have written here before: "Yet another poor subscriber that found out that "free and clear" is what people want to get from Sprint: Free and clear of a bad deal. Unfortunately, to get out, it is neither free nor clear." http://wirelessadvisor.com/fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=114

Kevin

28. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In over 3 1/2 years with Sprint I have never had any billing errors, customer service complaints, or inability to use my phone where I need it the most. Does that mean they've singled me out to be good to? I think not. We just never hear from the many thousands of customers who are happy with the service because they don't come looking for these forums.

29. Estabon

Estabon Junior Member

Larry, I have to dissagree with your statement that the thousands of satisfied Sprint customers do not look for this type of forum to post positive feed-back and that they only come here to complain. As I read through the forums I can find many satisfied customers with other carriers and they are happy to share their positive experiences. I'm sure that some do look for this type of forum to complain but the sad thing is that Sprint or any other carrier would let a customer seek another place to complain! If the customer is unhappy with a service then try to make it right! I have tried many diffrent carriers in my area and the one thing I have learned is that before I buy a phone I will insist on a trial period and see for myself how well the phone works. I wish that all carriers would offer a prospective buyer a trial period and insist that they try out the phone before they sign anything! Steve.

30. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well even after all of this time Sprint is still adding new customers in record numbers. (1.3 million in Q3 2001) If it was so bad you would think word would have got around by now and they wouldn't be adding that many customers. Everyone I know of here in my area that uses Sprint is happy with the service but don't go looking for forums to talk about it so I will disagree with you. While I will admit that there are problem areas such as Chicago and Houston, there are also very good areas such as LA, Dallas, Phoenix, St. Louis, and Minneapolis. When was the last time we heard any complaints from these areas. In addition they have won the JD Powers awards for both NYC and St. Louis this year. Most complaints come from the same areas over and over again. Just my opinion of course.

Also I would point out that I believe some of these complainers had their problems a while ago and are still bitter about their experiences and continue to post negatives. In the past year Sprint has added over 3000 new cell sites and new customer service centers, etc. so let's not assume that things don't change.