Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Dobson CellularOne vs Alltel

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by kklessig, Jun 18, 2007.

1. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I dont mean to sound like a jerk, I work for Cell one and Im pro GSM but I like to remain non-bias towards any company or their technology and try to base my posts based on facts.

Nothing bugs me more than naive people that have only had one cell carrier and try to force a product down another members throat.

This wireless advisor not wireless product pusher.

2. bdiddle21

bdiddle21 New Member

Yeah and if you have cell one and leave michigan area, you roam....why have the hassle? if you're an old home ridden hermit, then yeah, a small local company is fantastic, but if you ever travel, you get a better national carrier....its like comparing apples and oranges. Yes some crappy carriers have service in out of the way areas than the bigger ones, thats the life blood of small carriers such as cell one or Ntelos, but you leave that out of the way area, and you're roaming, so a cell phone is useless then....its like choosing your poison i guess sometimes...

3. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The majority of the US is rural America and that was the whole point of Alltel and Cell One in the first place. Both of these companies started out as Mom and Pop piss ant companies and both have die hard customers. Both companies have made great sucess and have bought out tons of smaller companies and grew and grew. Alltel had the advantage because of its wireline unit and was able to sell that off to create capital to pick up both Midwest and Western Wireless which if you know your history made them the largest carrier (network coverage wise).

Roaming isnt the traditional roaming of the analog days were you paid $1.00 a minute to roam even if people called you.

I was in California for 2 months and in Wisconsin and I roamed on the old Cingular, the old AT&T, TMobile and Einstein PCS and the highest I paid was $12 for the month and I did alot of talking because I was on my way to IRAQ for 18 months. So regardless to say roaming isnt an issue. Far as roaming goes I took the phone to Iraq and I roamed there on ASIA CEll GSM for about 30 cents a minute which was better than the AT&T calling centers they set up for us.

The roaming thing goes both ways, the big carriers need the little ones in the sticks and the little guys need the big carriers when they go near more populated areas. Both go hand and hand and are both essential to the customer.

The issue is kind of irrelevant now as both companies are under going buyouts and Alltel might not exist as we know it in 6 months and Dobson will be under MA Bells rule.

4. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8550 Chocolate (Red)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I get free roaming

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is what happens when a person that works for a different carrier post's 1 way Cellonetech, especially when it's another rural carrier.
    I do agree that it's better to be open & objective about other carriers & technology.

6. bdiddle21

bdiddle21 New Member

We got bought by two private investment companies that aren't going to change anything, not even the name. and Roaming is .59 cents a minute plus .40 cents a minute long distance with us if the call is long distance, unless you get a total freedom package, or by the free to roam shared minutes. But i was just saying Alltel has a network in over 35 states that it has its own towers in, Dobson is about 15.

7. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Dobson is not a bad company at all. While I would pick Alltel for me, it's not the best for everyone. Cell one covers there areas well and there plans are fine. I believe they offer a national plan that has free roam as well (no?). They were pretty much just a smaller-Alltel. Even if they don't have the national option if they would have stayed in business alone they probably would have added it. Now they are with At&t, it will help some people and hurt others. At&t are not likely to keep the whole unlimited anytime thing, but they will get access to more phones and that.......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I hope your right about what the private investment companies plans are, they have a history & tendancy to break up things and sell them off for profits & that is a big worry by a lot of people, that these investment companies will do that with Alltel's network for more profits knowing they have area's that other carriers want or could use.

Personally I would like to see them go into the up coming auction & get the 700 Mhz license in major cities they don't cover to become a national carrier, and compete with the big 4, I think it would be an advantage for everyone, but you don't know what these firms ultimate plans are.

9. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I second that notion. Alltel could be a true national carrier with some Metro coverage. That would definately give Alltel an advantage over Tmobile.

10. zdoyle35

zdoyle35 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T (work),Alltel(personal)
    ALLTEL will give you more toers and better coverage nationwide

11. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

They can only provide towers & Antenna where they have a license, yes they have the largest native network per their information, but their Nationwide coverage is based on roaming partners as well as their network since they are Not a National carrier.