Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Dobson CellularOne vs Alltel

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by kklessig, Jun 18, 2007.

1. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel since May, 2006 (Cellular One 10 yrs prior)
    Alltel vs Cellular One service

[NOTE: This thread has been formed by two merged threads]

Can someone who is educated in both Alltel and CellularOne (Dobson) cell services, give me a break-down of which service offers what and which is "better?"

My younger (3 yrs) bro is ALWAYS right when it comes to debates and from my research, I think Alltel is far superior and technologically advanced, however bro thinks CellOne is the best.

Does anyone here have a breakdown of what each offers via cellular phones and why Alltel is THE BEST????

I am not a debator, hate arguments, etc. But I know facts when I read them and truly believe Alltel is best. I've been trying to get my parents to switch, as well as bro and SIL.

Remember, I live up in small town Eagle River WI and our basic two services are Alltel and CellOne.

Can anyone do this for me? Thank you so much in advance!!!

#1 kklessig, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  2. alltelwireless-the best

My Phone:
    Samsung U520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel*Nextel*Tmobile* NO MORE AT&T YES!!
  3. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Re: Alltel vs Cellular One service

Dobson Cellular One is a different entity than the name that Alltel formerly used as Western Wireless Cellular One territories.

But there are different aspects of the debate ... why does he think Dobson is superior? Plans, coverage, phone selection, size of company ... there are several aspects to *thinking* that one wireless provider may be better than another. If he just thinks they're better because they're more "technologically advanced", there is definitely many people that would disagree for good reason.

4. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

That is correct, CellularONE is a service mark used by different companies. Western Wireless was purchased by Alltel in 2005 but Dobson Cellular Systems (dba CellularONE) was not.

Western Wireless used, mostly, CDMA/AMPS with some TDMA but Alltel quickly converted all of the TDMA to CDMA. Western Wireless had GSM for roaming only and Alltel continues to offer that in former Western Wireless markets.

CellularONE (Dobson) uses GSM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):

Well, in my Northern Wisconsin area, CellOne DOBSON is what i'm talking about. Alltel is what company I am with that I think is better than CellOne.

The only difference my Mom tells me is when she is at my house, she can receive cell reception whereas my Alltel phones have none. However, since a recent bad storm, her DobsonCellOne has been less than good...sometimes 3-4 bars and sometimes 2-0 bars. There is a cell tower very close-by but somehow only CellOne gives good reception; my Alltel phones don't get that close tower reception except via Analog (my family's CellOne is GSM).

Mom also tells me she stays with Dobson CellOne because she lives in Watersmeet, MI, which is just over the Northern Wisconsin border (only 45 minute drive to my home). She does get so-so cell reception at her home and she doesn't know of anyone who has any cell company except for Dobson CellOne in the area she lives, so she sticks with D.CellOne.

My Bro states Dobson CellOne has "much better technology" than Alltel and is of the opinion that Alltel can't compete with all that "great technology."

I DO know that our Dobson CellOne service here in Northern Wisconsin, Vilas County, is a GSM network and I also know that my Alltel phone can switch back and forth from analog and CDMA.

My only gripe when hubby switched us to Alltel last year was that we no longer can receive a good cell signal while at home. My V262 phone gets 3-4 bars in analog mode, but 0-1 bars in digital (?) or CDMA (or maybe those two words mean the same thing???). My hubby's E815 is able to pull 1-3 reception bars at home not on analog so that would be digital/CDMA.

Otherwise, I like Alltel much better than Dobson CellOne. I basically am able to receive reception everywhere, except for the few *dead spots* every one has to deal with.

I would appreciate anyone with the knowledge and argument of WHY Alltel is so much better than Dobson CellularOne. I really would like to convert my family to Alltel as hubby's family are already Alltel converts. Does any one have one of those pros/cons charts or similar?

Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

PS: My a** wipe brother has a RAZR and is constantly on the internet with his phone. My Mom and Dad have simple standard "freebie with contract" Moto V555/V535 phones. I'm the only family member (on both sides!) without a camera or video phone. You'd think hubby would break down and let me get a new phone, or at least buy me a new one but noooooooooo!!! He doesn't want to pay for it and refuses to extend our contract to get the Alltel Discount. Sorry.....I'm just having my own pity-party day here......

6. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Can someone who is educated in both Dobson CellularOne and Alltel cell services, give me a break-down of which service offers what and which is "better?" Which has the better technology, towers leased, plans and prices, etc?

My younger brother is ALWAYS right when it comes to debates and from my research, I think Alltel is much better and technologically advanced, however darling brother states Dobson CellOne has "better technology" and I don't know what else. I do know that he has a RAZR phone and is constantly on the internet with it.

Hubby and I have personally been Alltel customers for over a year now when we, and hubby's family, and hubby's family business all switched over to Alltel, from Dobson CellOne, at the same time last year.

Does anyone here have a breakdown of the facts about Dobson CellularOne and why its better than Alltel?

I am not a debator, hate arguments, etc. But I know facts when I read them and I like Alltel and am happy we switched.

We live in Northern Wisconsin, Vilas County which is quite a rural area. Cell reception can be an issue....as in NO reception (!!!!) My parents' home is just over the state border in Michigan, Gogebic County, just a 45 minute drive to my home.

With Dobson CellOne, my Mom can receive 2-4 bars of reception at my home as I do have a nearby tower in the woods.Mom also can get reception at her own home.

Last year, before we switched to Alltel, and still had Dobson CellOne, we also had quite good reception at home in the woods via the nearby tower. Now with Alltel, with that tower very close, we receive 0-1, maybe 2 bars of reception in digital mode and an external antenna plugged in. I can get up to 3 bars of reception if I put my phone in analog mode. Otherwise, Alltel does not pick up this close tower. Mom comes over, and her GSM phone gets great reception.

Can someone break it down to me the facts of Dobson CellularOne vs. Alltel? I really would like to know the absolute facts as to why little bro is so insistant that Dobson CellOne is so much betrter than Alltel.

Thanks again!!

7. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel

Yes, it seems like I remember some of your older posts pretty well and we found out that your house is right between two Alltel towers with a Cell One tower a little closer to you. But it's really difficult to judge an entire network based on the coverage in a single, specific location. But several of the points you could bring up are ...

Alltel does offer service in Watersmeet, MI. They hold the Cellular-B side license while the A side is comparably held by Dobson CellONE. If you've ever been up to her house, that should give you a fairly good idea of the quality of coverage, but I would expect Alltel to be comparable to CellONE (there is a lot of tower sharing in rural areas). Alltel is generally very good and is considered to be the largest Rural carrier in America. I've always heard on here they have done very well in the rural parts of Michigan and Wisconsin that they cover.

You are correct in that Alltel is CDMA and CellONE is GSM. There is a debate, very political in nature, where there is no right or wrong answer. I tend to give pros and cons of each, but there are different pros for each type of technology. CDMA is a much newer technology, has a larger footprint in the US, and has much more high-speed data 3G networks. However, it has been hampered in its growth by several factors, namely the Qualcomm patents on the technology which don't allow open competition. GSM is an older technology, but some people like it because of the freedom with phones. GSM is more widely used on a global level and is a standard in Europe. So GSM is more likely to offer more phones and get 'cooler' phones earlier than CDMA because there are more potential customers. GSM also utilizes a SIM card, which can be popped into any unlocked GSM phone for use, as opposed to calling your operator and changing the phone ESN number on your account. Many people passionately feel that one is better than the other. Especially when it comes to call quality. Many people on GSM claim to hear a small buzzing noise in the background, while others claim it is a richer, fuller sound on GSM and barely notice a buzzing. Personally, in my area, CDMA sounds much better and has much better coverage. But a lot of that depends on the equipment used in your area. What the argument boils down to, is what provider covers the areas you travel in better ... which provider has the phone you like .... who has the better data network in your area ... etc.

But since your brother is using a Razr, a phone available on any network, he is not utilizing any type of technological advantage such as an imported European GSM phone that nobody else knows how to get ahold of. The network technology of Alltel is newer, as are the phone options compared to what he is using. Alltel has plenty of pic/vid phones and mobile web options with mp3s such as the AX8600, Krzr, Wafer, etc. I prefer any of those phones to what I saw on the CellONE website. Neither Alltel nor CellONE cripple phones or restrict features like some other providers. I would say that for the things you are talking about, either provider is technologically up to par for all your family's needs. As much as you want to rub it in his face, I have no doubt you'd win the argument if you simply stated that he's not doing anything that you couldn't do with Alltel.

However, another difference between the two is the plans. If you compare plans, they are structured very similarly, except Alltel offers a few more bonuses such as My Circle on most plans as well as free texting and nights at 7 options on Family Choice and Smart Choice Packs. For $70 for either provider, you can get a decent family plan with two lines and 900 shared minutes. The only difference is that Alltel throws in My Circle, and unlimited calling to any 10 numbers really makes it an unlimited plan for most people.

8. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I will try to be as honest I can about the subject with out preference for either company.

Dobson and Alltel both mainly only cover rural areas. Both companies started as smaller Mom and Pop companies and grew larger by buying out smaller companies.

Both companies upgraded technologies approx 4-5 years ago to GSM(Dobson) and CDMA (Alltel). The difference between the two system will start huge debates on this forum that will get beat in to the ground, kinda like a Coke VS Pepsi or Ford VS Chevy debate. Some people can have a bad experience with either company than have a grudge for life based on a bad phone or customer service or a faulty tower.

Heres the basics. I have worked with both systems so I am familiar with both but by no means an expert. Alltel chose the CDMA path while Dobson chose the GSM path. Both technologies have their ups and downs.

CDMA has a clear advantage in the data (internet) department. When operating in optimal conditions CDMA has moderately better sound quality than GSM. When you talk about quality take in mind that the phone is a big player in this, if you buy a cheap phone you get a cheap phone. CDMA has an advantage in the rural enviroment far as making a 911 call because CDMA relies on GPS for its tracking. Drawbacks are when a CDMA tower gets crowed with calls it will cut back the power that the tower puts out (cell shrinkage). CDMA can also be its worst enemy when towers get crowded it can cause interference and the call quality is degraded (robot underwater voice) or a dropped call.

GSM is comparable in voice quality when newer phones are used and the network you are on is maintained correctly. Early GSM voice quality wasnt much better that the first generation of Digital that its is based on. Data is a draw back and at the current moment is limited to the 300-400 kbit range while CDMA is running 1/3 faster speeds. GSM puts out more power than CDMA (thats why your mom has more bars and both Alltel and Dobson are on the same tower). GSM puts out more power but CDMA can run better voice quality at a weaker signal that GSM. So you can probably make a call with one bar on CDMA (Alltel) where as on GSM (Dobson) you really need 2 bars or better based on the phone.

I could go on and on about the difference and so could everyone on this forum.

Far as company wise both Alltel and Cell one are great companies. I would proudly work for either one and be happy.

Alltel is a big company and owns more towers than Dobson and has a much larger network and has better priced monthly plans. Dobson has alot of roaming partners so most of the US is covered. IMO from what I have heard Dobson has better customer service.

As far as coverage it depends on where your at at the time. Dobson may have a tower closer to where you are or Alltel is closer or they may both be on the same tower. You will not be able to use Analog mode on every Alltel tower. No new analog towers have been built in over 5 years, all new towers are either CDMA only (Alltel) or GSM only (Dobson).

Hopefully I gave you an idea whats out there with out being to partitial to either company, I know some knuckle head will try to bash this apart but hey Im trying to be honest and fair to both companies. I say use what ever works the best for you.

9. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Well, your brother is not correct on this one. As far technology it's debatable and what cellonetech said are the main issues between them. Overall GSM is not better then CDMA and vice versa.

As far as coverage it depends on the area. For your area they are more then likely equal. But if you go out west in areas it is a different story.

The "bar" measurement is never really completely accurate. Even though GSM might say it has a stronger signal then the CDMA it doesn't mean that it can complete the call at the same level as cellonetech stated, the difference in power output is the reason for it (gsm needs a little more power to make a call then cdma). CDMA in my experience also "holds onto" a low signal level and still has a quality phone call without drops,. etc. While in my experience GSM does not do this as well.

Towers between dobson and alltel, Alltel has more towers. In fact they have the largest geographical coverage area of any provider nationwide. They have more spectrum because they are a bigger company.

Customer service I don't really know which is better, don't have enough experience with Dobson's CS to honestly compare.

Pricing-wise, it depends on what you use the phone for, where you use it (nationwide vs. local). I personally think Alltel has the better pricing with the My Circle feature. But if I used my phone differently cellone might be better......

The only real difference between the two with coverage being equal, and that would have a noticeable affect, is data usage. CDMA is better at data usage because of the nature of CDMA.

Other than that, there isn't a big enough difference between the two besides personal preference and quirks that some people don't like about the other. So to sum it up, in this case, your brother is incorrect because there isn't solid answer to which is better and if there is one its subjective...and he is welcome to come here to educate himself :D

EDIT: I think some people's perception that GSM is better and "more advanced" stems from the fact that they often get the latest and greatest phones, first a little before the cdma carriers. This is actually do to the larger worldwide market for GSM phones then what technology it is. If amps or iDen was as popular and in use as much as gsm is worldwide then those would be getting the latest phones first.....just business.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #9 strunke, Jun 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  10. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8550 Chocolate (Red)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    i believe alltel has better tech. And is an overal beter company but it just depends

11. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That pretty much a good sum of it. Alltel has a larger native area but I feel in the areas where there are both companies I feel they are comparable.

I have heard of independant testing Cellone markets and seems like I remember them saying were always either 1st or 2nd and only being second to Alltel when not first.

Both are good companies, use what works for you. If I didnt work in the Cellular career field and I needed a phone I would use what worked the best for me where I had to use it regardless of company or technolgy.

The few things I like better about GSM is the Sim Card and being able to swap phone with out going into a store. I dont like having to push buttons on CDMA systems to update the phone to look for new towers, I think that should be automatic.

Alltel I like how you dont have to use the area code when you dial a number. With Cell One you have to dial the area code.

12. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    Alltel started pushing PRL updates to customers' phones a couple of years ago. You can still dial *228 to force an update to your PRL. I only have to do that when I reactivate a spare handset that hasn't been used for awhile and needs to be updated to the current PRL. From then on, if Alltel updates their PRL, they send it to my phone automatically.

I do wish Alltel would add ESN swapping to their web based customer account features. That would make changing handsets almost as easy as switching SIM's. They have that feature for business accounts, but not consumer accounts.

royc

13. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    In most markets they now have OTA programming for new phones. You can call them up, give them the esn, then dial *228. I wish they had it on the site as well. I guess on the 23rd it is supposed to be updated. But I don't know if it will include this.

14. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Why dont they just add some sort of sim or some sort of media card to CDMA phones.

15. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    hmm i dont know it might be eaiser but when my father had cingular and wanted to switch a phone just swapping sim cards wasnt enough he had to take it to the cingular store and have it reprogrammed or something

16. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

If he had a GSM phone he would not have needed to bring it to the store to swap SIM's.
    Maybe he didn't know how to transfer his contacts?

I move my SIM from phone to phone quite often with no need to program it. The other possibility is the MediaNet & SMS settings, which can be manually programmed or an OTA sent to the new phone.

17. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    he tried just swapping and it would not work

18. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS - happily holding crystal clear calls!
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8462/20; U; en))

I would say alltel has better plans and more native coverage. which means you dont have to worry about roaming as much.

19. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yes Alltel has much more native coverage than Dobson and i believe you can purchase a plan with free roaming i know i have national access from Verizon and I have free roaming (Extended Network)

20. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8462/20; U; en))

Why not try out sprint pcs? they allow free unlimited roaming on all there plans. and you can get a sero plan with unlimited evdo and messaging you also get 500 minutes for 30 dollares. www.sprint.com/sero there get order info and use email savings@sprintpcs.com. Also you can force roam. sprint will roam on alltel in your area or verizon. and with alltel roaming you get to use the alltel evdo so thats a plus and best of all its still unlimited. and whem u call telesales just get an out of area if none available in your area and they will overnight it to your house. and then just activate it. any questions just post or pm me.

#20 PCSuser, Jun 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  21. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If you are talking about the original poster there is no Sprint service where they are...

22. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There are a few things it could be or what you are trying to ask.

If you are talking about network settings on the phone, say an unbranded phone, they you can manually enter them by getting the info from the web site.
    Or if he didn't have his contacts, then he didn't have them saved to the SIM.

It all depends on what you are saying he couldn't do & why he brought the phone to the store to have it fixed. Again I and numerous others here, with the contacts saved to the SIM have no problem moving it from phone to phone as long as they are similar branded or unlocked.

23. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thats fine. Because all he has to do is call up telesales order all his stuff, and they will ship it out to his address. And with Sprints free/unlimited roaming he can just roam on Alltels network the whole time; and use their EvDo service too.

So he can get the Alltel network, with all the Sprint features and rates.

24. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The OP isn't wondering about Sprint, he was asking for people to compare Alltel and Cellular One's services.

25. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alienware, I am just giving him more options. Wasn't sure if he was aware that Sprint was available - just roaming on Alltel...

trying to be as helpful as I can.

Yes if I was comparing Alltel to CellOne - I would go Alltel.

26. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alot of companies wont sell you a phone and may even cancel a contract if the usage is more that 50% roaming use. Every carrier has different standards.

27. PCSuser

PCSuser Senior Member

My Phone:
    PPC-6700 w/ WM6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Right every carrier does have different standards.

Cingular will terminate you after 40% of off network usage. BUT Verizon won't terminate you even if you roam 100% of the time - NOR DOES SPRINT.

Sprint will sell you a phone out of their service area, and they will not cancel your service even if you do roam 100% of the time off their network. Even though its in their ToS; there has been NO person that has gotten terminated or even contacted by Sprint for roaming 100% of the time. So... yes, Sprint does allow 100% roaming.

This user might benefit from Sprints plan pricing, unlimited data, and messaging with SERO. So its another choice for him. And in their area they get EvDo roaming on Alltel. So.

28. bdiddle21

bdiddle21 New Member

are we seriously comparing a $27 billion dollar company with cellone? You can have virtually unlimited minutes with alltel for $59.99 with mycircle, and you have free roaming on verizon, and sprint. Alltel is a much better company, hands down.

29. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Good thing your not in the Navy because you missed the boat on this one.

Alltel has the largest network area wise yes, the point is in markets where there are both companies which would be more beneficial to the subscriber.

In Michigan for example there are areas were Alltel coverage isnt that great because Cell One has a 3 to 1 ratio over Alltel (3 times the towers for the layman) In some areas Cell one has few towers that are only 1900 PCS and Alltels 850 leaves Cell One in the Dust. So say you live in Town A and you want to use your phone as your home phone and the nearest Alltel tower is 10 miles away but the nearest Cell One is 2 miles away. What do you do?
    Now say you live in Town B and travel to town A every day for work. Everyday you have to travel down Highway 101 to get to work. Cell One works good at your house but not well on the roads you travel the most. Alltel has ok coverage at the house but works very well on the roads you travels the most. You only need a phone going from point A to point B as you already have a home phone. Which do you choose.

The point is use what works best for you were you are. If Uncle Bobs wireless works better were you need to use your phone use them. If Super Global Wireless with towers on the moon work better use them.

The rates plans between Alltel and Cell One are some what comparable. Cell One has a $49.00 a month plan that you can call as many people you want and is unlimited.

30. rytard

rytard Junior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Amen finally some sense in this thread