Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Dobson CellularOne vs Alltel

Discussion in 'All Other Wireless Companies' started by kklessig, Jun 18, 2007.

1. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel since May, 2006 (Cellular One 10 yrs prior)
    Can someone who is educated in both Dobson CellularOne and Alltel cell services, give me a break-down of which service offers what and which is "better?" Which has the better technology, towers leased, plans and prices, etc?

My younger brother is ALWAYS right when it comes to debates and from my research, I think Alltel is much better and technologically advanced, however darling brother states Dobson CellOne has "better technology" and I don't know what else. I do know that he has a RAZR phone and is constantly on the internet with it.

Hubby and I have personally been Alltel customers for over a year now when we, and hubby's family, and hubby's family business all switched over to Alltel, from Dobson CellOne, at the same time last year.

Does anyone here have a breakdown of the facts about Dobson CellularOne and why its better than Alltel?

I am not a debator, hate arguments, etc. But I know facts when I read them and I like Alltel and am happy we switched.

We live in Northern Wisconsin, Vilas County which is quite a rural area. Cell reception can be an issue....as in NO reception (!!!!) My parents' home is just over the state border in Michigan, Gogebic County, just a 45 minute drive to my home.

With Dobson CellOne, my Mom can receive 2-4 bars of reception at my home as I do have a nearby tower in the woods.Mom also can get reception at her own home.

Last year, before we switched to Alltel, and still had Dobson CellOne, we also had quite good reception at home in the woods via the nearby tower. Now with Alltel, with that tower very close, we receive 0-1, maybe 2 bars of reception in digital mode and an external antenna plugged in. I can get up to 3 bars of reception if I put my phone in analog mode. Otherwise, Alltel does not pick up this close tower. Mom comes over, and her GSM phone gets great reception.

Can someone break it down to me the facts of Dobson CellularOne vs. Alltel? I really would like to know the absolute facts as to why little bro is so insistant that Dobson CellOne is so much betrter than Alltel.

Thanks again!!

2. kklessig

kklessig Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel since May, 2006 (Cellular One 10 yrs prior)
    :( Are you kidding me? Is there NO Dobson CellOne subscribers out there, or employees, who can explain to me why Dob's CellOne is superior to Alltel's service??

Please.....I wanna hear what you think.....

3. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well I don't really think overall Cellular One's service is Superior to Alltel's, but their very close.

Anyway, at least in Northern Michigan, it seems like Cellular One pays more attention to the dead spots and fills the coverage gaps as soon as possible, not to pick on Alltel or anything, but they have alot more dead spots on the east side of the state than the west, compared to Cellular One.

Technology wise, I don't really think either is superior to each other, they both have their advantages. The only thing that annoys me about GSM is the buzz you hear when you go by a speaker.

Alltel has very nicely priced plans, but Cellular One has a really great plan called the Unlimited Statewide plan (unlimited anytime minutes) for $50.00 per month, but to have a partner line with it is another $45.00 extra.

Hope that helps a little bit.

4. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    you have a double post, go look in the central forum.

5. ziggy29

ziggy29 New Member

One thing to keep in mind is that Dobson/CellularOne is (most likely) going to be AT&T in a few months. So if the service the CellularOne subscribers get after the acquisition is dumbed down to the level of AT&T, going with Alltel may turn out to be a good move.

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Agreed- ALLTEL offers better pricing, and more services and is more consumer friendly than the bigger companies, like AT&T.

7. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If have to Look at Alltel's buyout as well. What happens when the buyout is completed? Does Alltel get broken up and sold off to the highest bidder? The finiacial companies could easy make their money back and then some with a quick turn around.

With the Dobson buyout all of the Cell ONe towers and equipment stay in place and make AT&T's coverage better.

8. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    But will AT&T Continue to pour money into your area after the buyout? There are no guarantees.

9. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I dont know, I hope they do. We still have some upgrades that need to be dont after buying two other GSM a couple of years ago.

Im kinda affraid they will put the Cell One network on the back burner and just focus on connecting to the AT&T network and merging Cell One into its operations.