Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Do you have a screen protector applied to your phone?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by JFB, Nov 30, 2011.

?

Do you have a screen protector applied on your phone?

1. YES

58.1%
  2. NO

41.9%
  1. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    POLL

Do you have a screen protector applied to your phone?

I'm talking about a clear film applied to the screen to protect it from scratches.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 JFB, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No screen protector for me.

3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Not any more. With the way I treat my phones and the Gorilla and similar types of "glass" used their is no need for a protector.

Sent from my Moto Photon using Tapatalk

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I do, only because it came with the Otterbox case I bought.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    No screen protector for me.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; MB860 Build/4.5.91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

6. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Same here...

7. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I third the motion, it came with the Otterbox.

COtech

8. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I voted No , since I currently do not have one on my iPhone 4S.

But I have gone back and forth on this. I had one on for 6 months, but ripped it off because it became so dirty and detracted somewhat (not much) from the touch screen sensitive feel. On the other hand, it does give a feel that I sometimes enjoy.

I guess it depends where I might be. If I'm going to be outside and really roughing it, it adds a measure of security, like one would get from an Otterbox.

9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    One thing to be aware of. Even though Gorilla glass or equivalent is pretty scratch resistant to things like most metals or knifes (and we all have seen the videos), that is not the case with tungsten carbide metal drills and other common materials

Like ordinary quartz, a common component found is almost all 'dirt' (not just from the beach). As is granite a common component of 'dirt', dirt being mostly ground up material from rocks.

Gorilla glass is about 700 on the hardness Vickers scale; quartz is the same or slightly higher (850). Of course diamond earrings are horrible(9000 about) and sapphire too from those Rolex watches. ;)
    Granite can be harder than the glass.

So blow off the dirt before wiping your screen with your shirt or cloth. It depends a lot on how much pressure you apply while cleaning, if there is an abrasive around.

Many stories of people finding fine scratches under strong lighting at angle on their screens. Most likely it comes from these sources.

1 person likes this.
  10. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Good info, viewfly.... thanks!

11. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How hard is iPhone glass compared to gorilla glass? I also use an otterbox

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks Joe!

It's the same material. The original iPhone, and maybe the 2nd had Gorilla glass (Jobs said so doing one of his events). I think, but I'm not certain, it is not Corning Gorilla glass anymore, but the equivalent.

Why? because the patents for Corning Gorilla glass have long expired and other vendors can be found. It is the same chemically and processed the same way. It is just a brand name now.

P.S. The Galaxy Nexus does not have 'Gorilla', but a Samsung product. But still just as hard. Both are called alkali aluminosilicate glass. I read that the Corning patent ran out 20 years ago for this. I know that this hard glass got reinvented with the advent of LCD displays. I think Jobs was the first to use it, when he saw it at Corning.

Both materials are as strong and as scratch resistant. But when dropped, they both can shatter/break as my HTC and iPhone friends can attest to!

P.S.: i still think that Apple no longer get it direct from Corning...

A little story from 2010, from the NYTimes:

"I’ve just spent a year filming a new PBS Nova miniseries about, of all things, materials science. (I’m the host; it airs in January. You can see the trailer here.) Materials science is a little-known, multidisciplinary field — physics, chemistry, biology, nanotech, and so on — where some absolutely mind-blowing advances are being made.

Last week I was on a panel, presenting clips from the show at the annual conference of the Materials Research Society, a scientific group that helped advise us on the show. After the talk, a scientist came up to me and said, “You know, it looks like your show doesn’t cover one of the coolest materials that’s right under your nose: Gorilla Glass.”

No, I said. That’s not in the show. What is it?

“It’s the screen of every touchscreen phone, like the iPhone and Android phone, plus the iPad and iPod Touch. It’s an amazing story. Corning invented this stuff in the ’60s, but didn’t know what to do with it. Then a few years ago, someone showed a piece of it to Steve Jobs. The guy dropped a piece of the glass into a bag full of keys and shook it hard; it came out without a scratch on it! Jobs immediately seized on the idea of using it for his iPhone. Today, Apple buys practically all the Gorilla Glass that Corning can make. Apple is the world’s No. 1 consumer of it.”

Now, I had no idea how much of this story was true, but some of it sounded right; Steve Jobs immediately seeing the value in tech breakthroughs is a common theme in tech lore. And the Corning Web site seems to confirm that this is special stuff: “Gorilla Glass is an environmentally friendly alkali-aluminosilicate thin-sheet glass. It features exceptional damage resistance to the scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use. It’s thin, cool to the touch, and cleans easily – making it the perfect solution for sleek, seamless designs.”

So I got in touch with Corning, and found out that the rough outlines of the story are true:

“In 1962,” the company’s PR guy wrote, “we unveiled Chemcor, a new ‘muscled’ glass. It was used in a variety of commercial and industrial applications, including the automotive, aviation and pharmaceutical industries, until the early 1990s. Now, fast forward to 2005, and the first mobile devices began appearing with cover glass. Corning started looking at this market as an opportunity.

“Our scientists took out the old Chemcor technology and started experimenting to create a tougher, more durable glass. By 2008, after two innovative developments, the new formula glass could now be produced in uniform, thin sheets with a pristine surface. Thus, what came out of our lab was a fresh composition that we patented as Corning Gorilla Glass.”

Today, he said, this glass covers the screens of 280 gadgets from 20 brands — Samsung, LG, Dell, Motorola, Acer and so on. Needless to say, it’s been a hit; sales of Gorilla Glass were under $100 million last year, will be $250 million for 2010, and, if the TV market takes off as Corning expects, will hit $1 billion next year.

Corning’s Web site goes into some detail on how this glass is made: “The glass is placed in a hot bath of molten salt at a temperature of approximately 400°C. Smaller sodium ions leave the glass, and larger potassium ions from the salt bath replace them. These larger ions take up more room and are pressed together when the glass cools, producing a layer of compressive stress on the surface of the glass. Gorilla Glass’s special composition enables the potassium ions to diffuse far into the surface, creating high compressive stress deep into the glass. This layer of compression creates a surface that is more resistant to damage from everyday use.”

Well, O.K.

All I know is that neither Apple nor anybody else has, in my opinion, made enough fuss over this material. In its humble, ionic-exchange way, this stuff has made possible the new era of thin, scratch-proof touch phones and touch tablets.

One thing’s for sure: there will be a lot of Gorilla Glass under the tree this year.
    "

#12 viewfly, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    4 people like this.
  13. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    As well as my Nephew.;)

14. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I can attest to that.. While the screen on my Trophy is still in good shape, there is one deep scratch at the bottom (unknown how I scratched it), and a few hairline ones.
    Cornings website says the HTC Trophy has Gorilla glass but it's not damage resistant. Good article viewfly, Thanks.

15. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    #15 JFB, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    LOL :wink:

Thanks Joe, Joseph.

Perhaps a little more dramatic video of the glass: [video=youtube;MYaQnvVwStc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYaQnvVwStc&feature=related[/video]

Gorilla glass is very unbreakage too bending, more it's strength than being scratch resistant.

Other tibits. On Corning's website they state they are not allowed to state all devices that use there glass. Perhap why Apple is missing?

Samsung and Corning have a joint venture for glass making in place.

I kept my phone in my pants pocket. Every now and then I pull the pocket out and clean out any debris.

1 person likes this.
  17. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    No screen protector for me!

Sent from my ATRIX 2

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So just coincidentally, last night, while reading the last chapters of the bio about Steve Jobs (by Walter Isaacson), well actually listening to the audiobook version on my iPhone (very appropriate), there was a section on 'Gorilla Glass'

I was going to paraphrase it here, but found a pretty accurate version of the book's section in the Hindustantimes. This all took place in the 2006-7 time frame, and shows that Apple was the first to use 'Gorilla Glass' in any phone (actually, it was called Gorilla Glass only in 2008).

I'll only add that in the book it states that Corning CEO Wendall Weeks said that it impossible for Corning to produce the glass in 6 months, but Jobs stared Weeks down and said 'you got to do it'. Before this time, Corning had no longer made the glass. Before the meeting of Weeks and Jobs in Cupertino, Apple's HQ, the 1st iPhone was going to have plastic (polycarbonate) like other phones. Also, Jobs started to lecture Weeks about glass, and Weeks said 'shut up' and let me tell YOU about glass chemistry. Jobs really liked Weeks, after that, and the two got along well according to Issacson

Apple re-invented the Gorilla Glass - Hindustan Times

Apple re-invented the Gorilla Glass
    December 5, 2011
    by Annkur P Agarwal

"It is well known that most full touch-screen smartphones on the market today feature a scratch resistant display coating called the 'Gorilla Glass.' Made by a New York based company Corning Glass, the Gorilla Glass allows smartphone makers to feature a large piece of display on the front of their device without the risk of excessive breakdowns or scratches. While this may seem like a easy fix today, back in 2006-2007 when Apple was gearing up for the original iPhone launch, this wasn't that simple.

Steve Jobs biography reveals his interactions with Corning Glass while creating a display for the iPhone that is "strong an resistant to scratches." While the logical place to look for any component is Asia, John Seeley Brown a friend of Steve Jobs, introduced him to Corning CEO Wendell Weeks. This marked the beginning of what went on to change Corning's fortunes and offer manufactures a tough glass not just for smartphones, but tablets, laptops and even TV sets.

In the 1960's Corning developed a chemical exchange process, which lead to the tough glass known as 'Gorilla Glass,' but Corning failed to find a market for the same and had quit making it altogether. Jobs jumped on the opportunity and offered to buyout all the Gorilla Glass that Corning could supply in the next six months, but since none of the plants that Corning operated were manufacturing this glass, the supply was in doubt. Jobs persisted and pushed Weeks to divert resources on the Gorilla Glass and eventually they were able to meet the demand in less than six months.

The first iPhone shipped in 2007 and the rest is history. It resulted in a mini-panic within the smartphone industry. While the entire industry jumped on the full touchscreen smartphone bandwagon, Corning made hay while the sun shined. Almost all smartphone makers looking for a good solution to strengthen their touchscreen ended up using the Gorilla Glass. We have seen the Gorilla Glass finding its way to notebooks and in all probability Apple might be using the same technology in its other product lines like the iPad and the MacBooks as well.

Wendell Weeks is quoted saying "We produced a glass that had never been made." And a prized possession that he has today is the memento framed on display, it is a message from Steve Jobs that reads "We couldn't have done it without you" ... sent on the day when the original iPhone was launched. Corning's website may not mention Apple as a client or the iPhones as a product featuring Gorilla Glass. Rather it features a long list of manufactures using the Gorilla Glass and dozens of products using the same. Apple's role was silent, away from public attention and never advertised. Yes Apple reinvented the Gorilla Glass, just one of the many small things that changed the face of the smartphone industry."

19. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Gorilla Glass is a tad over rated IMHO. I am sure it is more durable, but it is not scratch resistant, as my Trophy claims proof to that theory.And if dropped just right, it will shatter.

#19 josephd, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes, I agree completely. Peoples' expectations are overblown. It is scratch 'resistant' not 'proof'. And it has limits and will scratch or break if it see impacts beyond its specifications.

A lot of common materials can scratch it. Most quality women's earrings will do it. And it will break when dropped from a certain height and landing in a certain way. And having a scratch on it, weakens it , allowing it to break below the specifications.

Treat it will care as with any product you wish to last. Reminds me of my first Nikon black metal F3. Debated long and hard about whether it should be in a case or not. But I always had a lens cover in place.

21. josephd

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Funny, you should see my Nephews iPhone. He dropped it and the glass shattered in one corner, yet he says the phone still works fine.
    I am back and forth when it comes to cases, I just don't like them. And unless you use a bulky otterbox. Cases just protect the aesthetics of a phone, and do nothing to protect them from a crash to the pavement. Which is why I never use a case.

22. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I know. I HATE outterboxes. Way too excessive for my tastes. Something like the Incipio NGP really gives plenty of protection for 'roughing it'. I can remove it more than daily and it never loses it's tight fit.

I have other cases that are lighter, when needed, sort of like wearing different clothes/shoes each day. In the comfort of my home, like myself, I'll go naked with the phone ;) The iPhone 4S really is too thin for my hands, that I actually like a bit more bulk. I guess one of the good features of a thin phone, is the case then does not add much bulk.

23. sis651

sis651 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Omnia i900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Turkcell
    I had, but after changing the resistive touch film, ı haven't applied one. But I will someday, it is hard to find a one that will fit to Samsung Omnia i900 here. Even a month ago I forgot my phone when sleeping and it fell between my bad and wall. Now the touchscreen has some mini holes or points on it, due to wall.

24. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I ALWAYS have a screen protector. My protectors always end up with scratches. I couldn't live with a phone with real scratches on the real screen! :eek:

25. tcorris

tcorris New Member

"go ducks"

26. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

A screen protector is the very first thing that goes on all of my phones out of the box. Currently I am using Power Supports Anti-Glare HD screen protector on my 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

27. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I was good at applying screen protectors, Power Support Clear. But after 3 mistakes in a row (dust, bubbles and misalignment), I decided to go with the bare iPhone glass.

The iPhone 3G, 4 and 4S Oleophobic coating is very good, and I hate the way PS smudge after a bit of use. The Anti-Glare version is great for showing no fingerprints, but I disliked the reduction in screen brightness and speckle degradation of the Retina Display.

Considering I have not even scratched a screen protector in 3+ years, heck I'll go bare.

The Magpul case raised lip lets me lay it on the table and protects against falls. So far so good.

28. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm using the Spigen (SGP) Glas.t screen protector. Literally a piece of tempered glass with an oleophobic coating. It's 0.4mm thick and has a hardness rating of 8-9H.

29. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Yeah, I've seen a lot of chatter about this one elsewhere....$27 is pricy, but it looks nice.

Be curious to hear updates on this as you use it. I bought the new Apple Care, which includes 2 insurance/breakage claims for $50...figure that will cover the need for a cover screen.

30. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

Your experience with PS differs greatly from mine, you see I've been using them on my iPhones since the 3GS and always applied them perfectly the first time. Never had any air bubbles and absolutely no dust got on the screen during the application process, as I always use the included static film on the screen before applying the screen protector. As far as having smudges after a bit of use, I have none unless there is something sticky on my finger. Also, PS "HD" version takes little if anything away from the screen. Heck, everyone at work couldn't even tell that I was using a screen protector.... Yes, the iPhones Oleophobic coating is good, however, the screen can and often does still scratch. Scratches on the screen from those who didn't use a screen protector on the glass screen of the iPhone are still a big complaint on most Apple forums that I visit. YMMV, though.....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

#30 Eileen89, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012