Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Do we miss the days before 3G?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by viewfly, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Gottachase

Gottachase Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Thank you very much for the info and clearing up some of the false Information I have heard.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    You're welcome :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    1G is not 1x, though 1G (analog) would be more useful to me than 3G or 4G,

Right now the 2G digital voice network on cdmaOne (IS-95) is the only one I care about and use.

4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I don't think that Verizon ever used the word '3G', until AT&T correctly used it for UTMS (WCDMA). Verizon's PR department didn't want to make their technology seem out of date.

Most of EDGE, etc is call 2.x

From wikipedia - "While EDGE is part of the 3G standard, most GSM/UMTS phones report EDGE (“2.75G”) and UMTS (“3G”) network availability as separate functionality."

and

"Compared to 2G and 2.5G services, 3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates (up to 14.4 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s on the uplink with HSPA+). " (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G#Evolution_from_2G) -Viewfly

Below is from
    SearchTelecom.com Definitions (http://searchtelecom.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid103_gci214486,00.html)

Gives the progression to '3G' and the in between 2.x.x upgrades.

"3G refers to the third generation of mobile telephony (that is, cellular) technology. The third generation, as the name suggests, follows two earlier generations.
    The first generation (1G) began in the early 80's with commercial deployment of Advanced Mobile Phone Service (AMPS) cellular networks. Early AMPS networks used Frequency Division Multiplexing Access (FDMA) to carry analog voice over channels in the 800 MHz frequency band.

The second generation (2G) emerged in the 90's when mobile operators deployed two competing digital voice standards. In North America, some operators adopted IS-95, which used Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) to multiplex up to 64 calls per channel in the 800 MHz band. Across the world, many operators adopted the Global System for Mobile communication (GSM) standard, which used Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) to multiplex up to 8 calls per channel in the 900 and 1800 MHz bands.

The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) defined the third generation (3G) of mobile telephony standards – IMT-2000 – to facilitate growth, increase bandwidth, and support more diverse applications. For example, GSM could deliver not only voice, but also circuit-switched data at speeds up to 14.4 Kbps. But to support mobile multimedia applications, 3G had to deliver packet-switched data with better spectral efficiency, at far greater speeds.

However, to get from 2G to 3G, mobile operators had make "evolutionary" upgrades to existing networks while simultaneously planning their "revolutionary" new mobile broadband networks. This lead to the establishment of two distinct 3G families: 3GPP and 3GPP2.

The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) was formed in 1998 to foster deployment of 3G networks that descended from GSM. 3GPP technologies evolved as follows.

• General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) offered speeds up to 114 Kbps.
    • Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution (EDGE) reached up to 384 Kbps.
    • UMTS Wideband CDMA (WCDMA) offered downlink speeds up to 1.92 Mbps.
    • High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) boosted the downlink to 14Mbps.
    • LTE Evolved UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA) is aiming for 100 Mbps.

GPRS deployments began in 2000, followed by EDGE in 2003. While these technologies are defined by IMT-2000, they are sometimes called "2.5G" because they did not offer multi-megabit data rates. EDGE has now been superceded by HSDPA (and its uplink partner HSUPA). According to the 3GPP, there were 166 HSDPA networks in 75 countries at the end of 2007. The next step for GSM operators: LTE E-UTRA, based on specifications completed in late 2008.

A second organization – the 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2) -- was formed to help North American and Asian operators using CDMA2000 transition to 3G. 3GPP2 technologies evolved as follows.

• One Times Radio Transmission Technology (1xRTT) offered speeds up to 144 Kbps.
    • Evolution – Data Optimized (EV-DO) increased downlink speeds up to 2.4 Mbps.
    • EV-DO Rev. A boosted downlink peak speed to 3.1 Mbps and reduced latency.
    • EV-DO Rev. B can use 2 to 15 channels, with each downlink peaking at 4.9 Mbps.
    • Ultra Mobile Broadband (UMB) was slated to reach 288 Mbps on the downlink.

1xRTT became available in 2002, followed by commercial EV-DO Rev. 0 in 2004. Here again, 1xRTT is referred to as "2.5G" because it served as a transitional step to EV-DO. EV-DO standards were extended twice – Revision A services emerged in 2006 and are now being succeeded by products that use Revision B to increase data rates by transmitting over multiple channels. The 3GPP2's next-generation technology, UMB, may not catch on, as many CDMA operators are now planning to evolve to LTE instead.

In fact, LTE and UMB are often called 4G (fourth generation) technologies because they increase downlink speeds an order of magnitude. This label is a bit premature because what constitutes "4G" has not yet been standardized. The ITU is currently considering candidate technologies for inclusion in the 4G IMT-Advanced standard, including LTE, UMB, and WiMAX II. Goals for 4G include data rates of least 100 Mbps, use of OFDMA transmission, and packet-switched delivery of IP-based voice, data, and streaming multimedia."

5. TnA2xXtReM

TnA2xXtReM Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro 1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, T-Mobile (Previous: Cingular/AT&T)
    Just ran into this article and another.. seem interesting with all the discussion about 3G and the wireless companies in general.

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      127.4 KB
      Views:
  6. erwinpiero

erwinpiero New Member

My Phone:
    HTC TyTN II
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TELKOMSEL
    Well, just my opinion, here in my city, i use both 2G and 3G (HSDPA especially), celullar technology has advancing, so many parameters than has been considered, coverage, capacity, quality and most important data rates.
    I use 3G to do internet browsing, downloading contents or just updating database or application on my phone, mostly done it for big data size, time is worth and wait is so bored :)

But still, 2G was still dominating signal coverage here, just set band search to Auto and connectivity would be just fine, and one thing last, whenever i've got less battery capacity, no matter what, i always switch to 2G, i should work and i should connected, data rates would be not important anymore.

I have read all post and agree, data rates technology should progressing also by maintaining coverage, capacity and other factor effect of connected time (ex : handset life time operation).

7. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Less than a couple of months ago, I was firmly in the "I use my phone only for voice, what's all this web nonsense?" camp.... now that I have had a smartphone for a couple of months, I honestly don't think I can live without my 3G.. lol.....

Frankly, the battery time does not bother me at all. I am almost never more than a couple of hours away from a power source. My phone charges every night, so I am at 100% every morning when I leave for work. At work, I am rarely more than a couple of hours from a location where I can plug my phone in, and I have a car charger. So, I seldom drop below 30-40% even with heavy web use.

8. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Same here... I like the enhanced call quality, my car radio doesn't buzz, fast data... I always charge every night, but I've done that forever. I hate having a battery die on me. I never know when I'll have to use the phone as in internet connection for the laptop, as a GPS, or simply for a 2 hour long voice call (Yes I mean you Ashley!). I have a charger plugged in behind my nightstand, and I have a charging cradle in my truck for using it as a GPS. I very rarely have the battery actually die on me.

-Jay

9. cellwiz09

cellwiz09 New Member

I just wish 3G would work better. Especially in a big metropolitan area like SF. Sheesh.

10. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Do you have AT&T?

11. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I have AT&T in the DC market and its fantastic out here... Never been to California. On the east coast AT&T 3G service rocks though. On trips I often have someone sitting in the back seat surfing the net on a laptop teathered to the phone over bluetooth. Nothing like having a high speed data connection while you're going 70 MPH down I-95.

-Jay

12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Since I started this thread, I'll give my answer too. No I wouldn't go back, but I like currently having the option of using 2G (for better battery life) on my phones. As long as ATT (or whoever) still supports a good build out for 2G it is a nice to have feature, for phone only usage during extended emergencies.

But for routine daily use, 3G is working out pretty well. Yesterday, was a low data day. I pretty much was at my laptop all day, and knowing that, turned off all push and fetch email (GPS on only when an appl uses it). There is really no need to get double email while I'm at my desk, and it's actually annoying hearing the double beeps from the laptop and the phone.

Spending the whole day from 7am to 5:30pm on 3G, I did a few short phone calls, several SMS's, checked the weather and stocks or calendar. At the end of the work day, my phone was still at 96% of battery charge. Can' t complain about that, and it more a matter of understanding how one uses the phone on a daily basis. Of course, on a more data usage day, I still get through the entire day with battery to spare.

My humble input!

-vf

13. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, a lot of good HSPA does. Aside from major metro areas where backhaul is easily available, EVDO Rev A sounds good enough to me. EVDO has been available for years here on VZW, Sprint has had it for a couple, but AT&T keeps letting me down. I've always preferred the CDMA tech over GSM, and I only got an iPhone when I thought UMTS was less than 6 months away (18 months ago).

So its hard for me to miss the days before 3G when I still don't have UMTS. The only thing I miss about my 1xRTT days was being able to tether my laptop on MOU, which was nice because I didn't talk on the phone much back then anyways. Now everyone has high speed internet and WiFi. Otherwise I'd rather use my iPhone on EDGE than tether to 1xRTT now.

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Then this news item may be of use to you: From phonescoop.com

AT&T Fires Up 850MHz 3G In Atlanta

Aug 11th, Yesterday, 9:06 AM by Eric M. Zeman

Today AT&T made good on its promise to bring improvements to its 3G network in select U.S. cities. It has added 850MHz spectrum support to some 540 cell sites that are already providing 1900MHz coverage. By adding this spectrum, AT&T customers should see an improvement in 3G service, as it boosts capacity and improves in-building coverage. The areas included are downtown Atlanta and parts of Fulton, DeKalb, North Fulton, Cobb, Gwinnett, and Fayette Counties. AT&T plans to do the same thing to a handful of other U.S. cities by the end of 2009, including New York and San Francisco.

15. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch

viewfly, great write up and have been thinking about this when I was away for 5 months. My iPhone 3G was going on 3 days with no charge with a lot of voice calls as well as checking for emails but that was on EDGE. Now it seems that the 3G S has better times as I am getting 2 days out of it (at home with 3G) and I really wonder when I travel how much more this would be. These are all features that we want and guess what? We pay for it not just for the device but for all the electricity we all use to keep them charged. Still I would not go back.

1 person likes this.
  16. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I have been using my 3G-enabled Nokia E63 and I can say that I would not go back to a EDGE/GPRS only device on AT&T. I have service issues whenever I use an EDGE only (or slower) device in Tallahassee (a 3G city). The signal is low and the web tends not to work on those devices (in my use). Also, I get sporadic no-service inside some buildings that I wouldn't get on my E63. I think I read something that mentions AT&T giving 2G users the short end of the stick in 3G areas.

On my VZW devices, I like having the EVDO on the device and I can say I wouldn't want it any other way although I rarely use data.

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks! And congrats on your new 3G S too! Yep, the battery life is improved on the 3G S and I really like the new camera and video. When you look at the video uncompressed on your pc/mac it really is great quality.