Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Do cell phones cause brain tumors?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just wanted to know if cellular telephones in general cause cancer to the head in any way. I remember the hype about cell phone antennas emitting dangerous radiation... i just wanted to know if that was still a hazard. I currently have the Nokia 5165 phone and the antenna does NOT extend. I did have Nextel i90c and i1000 plus with retractable antennas but i am no longer with Nextel. Just wanted to know. Thx!

2. kyocera2235verizon

kyocera2235verizon Junior Member

I don't know for sure but I just think that its a hoax...And, not all people react the same way to things, so its not like 99.9 percent of cell phone users will get a brain tumor...haha

3. markley268

markley268 Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (5line ACFS 1200)
    exactly, not everybody reacts the same way.....

but, having said that, i personally, can't use my phone (nokia 6160) up against my ear AT ALL because i get a headache afterwards, even if it's only a 1min phone call! So i ALWAYS use a headset with my phone. I hope that the next phone i get will have a lower SAR (specific absorption rate) so that i might be able to use it like a normal phone w/o getting the headache....we'll see!

ps - the 6160 has an SAR of 1.46 ( i believe the units are W/Kg )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

To be safe and sure don't use it or take a chance.

5. kyocera2235verizon

kyocera2235verizon Junior Member

wow, you get a headache after using your phone. Dude i'd return that phone, its not worth it man...

6. markley268

markley268 Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    it's happened on other phones too, specifically a 5190 i think.......so i don't think it's the phone, but i'm happy using the headset and i get by......just wish it didn't take so long to answer a call cause i have to get out the headset each time before i answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Arnold Schwarzanegger is "Kindergarten Cop"...

IT'S NOT A TUMOR!! I love that part. =)

8. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

certain phones can cause headaches but not to all people. Is weird, Ive had one phone that gave me headaches even after only a minute. The funny thing is, its SAR was lower than other phones ive used that didnt give me headaches. Cant explain that one. But in general, very small phones give me headaches. Anyone else notice something similiar?

9. markley268

markley268 Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    my 6160 is pretty large by today's standards......

10. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

You should try changing phones. That should get rid of your problems. Usually when people complain of headaches, its only for specific models. Thats my experience as well

11. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

u can check the radiation absorption rate of your phone on www.cnet.com in the wireless section.

12. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

Have been around RF for over 15 years...use an 800MHz 3 watt trunking radio, 800Mhz cellular, PCS1900, VHF and UHF radios every day...at power levels well over 100 watts (mobile). Never have had any ill effects. Some people are more sensitive to electromagnetic radiation at different frequencies than others. If you experience pain or discomfort, try using a handsfree headset and keep the actual phone as far away from your body (especially head) as much as possible. There has been no real factual concrete evidence of cancer from use of wireless devices, but they have not been in such widespread use except in the last 10 years. I think it is safe to say you have more chance of getting cancer from cigarettes (both second hand and direct inhalation) than from celphones.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Have your head examined.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I use a handsfree adapter most of the time and my calls are rarely more than a few min . With all the revelations of corpaorate fraud etc lately , who knows if there might be a problem or not.

15. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you want to prove that the radiation causes headache, try using your phone very close to a cell site, as close as you can get to it, and use your phone in your ear for about 5 - 10 minutes. Of course, you need to make sure that your phone is served by that cell site. Then, go to a fringe area where the signal is weak but you can still maintain a call and try the same. Most likely, you will get a headache quicker in the fringe area because when the signal is weak, your phone transmits at its highest power whereas when you stand very close to a cell site, the phone minimizes power output. Don't just go by how many bars you have, use the test field mode and see that your reception is around -51 to -59 dB when you are near the tower/cell site, but in the fringe area, reception should be about -95 to -99 dB. I tried this myself and I saw the difference.

Not everyone gets a headache from using a cellphone, but I used to get headaches with my 8260 (SAR=1.14) and 5160 (SAR = 1.46). I don't get headaches using my 3360 now (SAR = 1.11). As MTS2000 puts it, there is no real evidence that wireless phones are linked to brain cancer or tumors. I would say you can get more radiation from a computer monitor than you do from a cellphone. The Nokia 5100 and 6100 series have one of the highest SAR in the industry. Try a different model such as the 3300 series.

You might wanna read these articles for reference:

German Radiation Expert Warns on Cellphones

Cell Phones and Cancer, Part 1 - The Debate Rages On