Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Do carriers like MetroPCS/NorthCoast/Cricket rely on Local telcom regulations?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ajulius, Jul 23, 2002.

1. ajulius

ajulius New Member

There appears to be a large growth of cellular localized carriers like MetroPCS, Northcoast and Cricket. All offer unlimited local calling but only can be used in the local calling areas. If you travel outside the area, the phone will not work. But yet if you use alot of minutes with the phone in the local calling area, these providers can save alot of money over the regular national carriers. So am I correct in that these carriers are just competing with the existing local wireline carriers and are registered as such to take advantage of the existing fee structures created with the govt + wireline local telcos?

These carriers seem to be terrific competition to the local wireline carriers. Why be stuck with a wireless home phone, when you can use the wireless over a longer range throughout the community. Once E-911 is established and ready to go in these markets, I dont see much reason for people to keep their local telephone service. But the disadvantage is for people who travel outside of their local areas and some people can live in one area, but travel frequently to an area close by which may be outside the local calling area and wont get service.

I wonder if due to the rules and regulations of being a local player if such is the case that they are prohibited from allowing users use the networks outside the established calling areas.

The problem I see is that alot of people may actually wind up with 2 phones and 2 providers, one for local usage, and one for national usage. It would be nice if there was a way to combine the 2 types of providers into one phone and one phone number.

2. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    No, in most states they do not have to report to or file tarriffs with the local Public Service Commissions. Wireless is called "unregulated service" however that is not completly clear technically they are regulated but not in the same way as your local incumant telephone company is...i.e. to make a rate plan change your wireless provider does not have to file with local PSC's etc.

The reason they are competing with Local telephone companies is because for carriers with smaller footprints that is the most logical target. Plus anytime you offer roaming you eat up your network for out-of-area users...a big problem if you already offer unlimited service. Secondly when you offer roaming as a small carrier you cannot get great roaming rates from the big carriers, you also have to restrict what kind of customers you aquire since you as the carrier are extending your credit on behalf of each user of your network...If your customers don't pay you, you still have to pay the other carriers your users roamed with.

Smaller carriers need to unite and form a Roaming pact, make them a force to be reckoned with...you wouldn't have universal coverage, but these smaller carriers could begin putting the bigger carriers in a place where they might consider better roaming rates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree, if Cricket, Northcoast, Metro and the other smaller unlimited providers got together, that would be nice, ok keep it simple and unlimited, charge an extra $20 maybe for the ability to roam. Some of us could take advantage of it. I know I would pay for the ability to roam. I really doubt that will happen, but you never know, maybe someone will see this and think, hmmmmm, that is an idea.

4. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    IIRC, Cricket does offer extremely limited roaming (if you want to call this that) in some markets -- in those markets you can get coverage in an adjacent area (e.g., Albuquerque can get Santa Fe) for more per month.

Unlimited plans and "regular" roaming are NOT mutually exclusive; SureWest in the Sacramento area offers unlimited plans that also offer roaming (provided you pass a credit check; roaming is 50c/min on Sprint PCS.)

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Also...the unlimited carriers seem to have a higher percentage of calls/minutes of use that are incoming calls than most other carriers do; they, like CLECs that serve ISPs, can use that to their advantage via "reciprocal compensation", the system by which the local phone company where a call originates pays the local phone company where the call terminates. (This is also how Nextel can do the "free incoming calls" plans.)

Any wireless carrier can offer roaming or not offer roaming; any wireless carrier can receive USF subsidies to provide service in rural areas/etc. (although only a few have been successful at doing so).

-SC

6. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    There is big money in Reciprical Compensation...those fractions of a penny add up. It's going to be even bigger when Wireless Number Portability comes to town and carriers are going to have to start paying for dips into nationwide databases.

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    ajulius: That would be Very interesting if they do Combine

Cricket communications is the largest unlimited provider

Northcoast pcs currently is only in the Cleveland Ohio market and Have wondered instead of starting another company why the owner did not just want to expand a existing unlimited provider LIKE CRICKET. I think this would make sence

Also does any area have 2 providers that are completely Unlimited

Jack

8. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Savannah, GA has Hargray Wireless and Cellular One, both Unlimited in that market.

But don't expect Cellular One to stay that way long, they are part of Price...

9. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    There's 3 companies in Kingsport, TN that offer a unlimited plan.

Boomerang Wireless - Unlimited local calling plan. (Pre-Paid similar to Cricket)
    ALLTEL - Unlimited Service Plan.
    SunCom - Has 2 types of Unlimited Service Plans.

10. WirelessBeachBum

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Do they market Boomerang as a seperate company there? I'm looking at an advertising slick I found on an empty booth in Waltmart, and it says Boomerang (powered by Alltel). Also on the back of the sheet it says dial *369 to check account balance, I worked for them in their Charlotte market when they originally launched prepaid and *369 was their code then...maybe they have just vamped up their marketing to compete with Cricket....