Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Do any of you guys know of these "fair' areas to ever be improved

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by rosenthalliou, Feb 1, 2007.

1. rosenthalliou

rosenthalliou Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    [​IMG]

Located in Monterey Park, CA (91754)

2. dalbrich

dalbrich Junior Member

The sad thing is that I spend a lot of my time in an area Sprint thinks they have excellent coverage. I suspect I have little hope of seeing my area improve.

Each of the carriers has detailed information about their own network and can track things like dropped calls etc. They also track complaints from customers (to a greater or lessor extent).

Anyway, my only answer to coverage problems is as follows:
    1) If it isn't too bad, live with it.
    2) Change carriers.

In the years I've used and reviewed cellular service I've never seen a carrier respond to a single customers complaint regarding coverage -- even if they contact the carrier repeatedly. Coverage problems can be really expensive to fix and simply don't happen until things get to a critical mass. All that is to say one should never wait for coverage to improve.

-Dan

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Yes I do! I'll send you a private message about it. By the way that map doesn't reflect the coverage from the brand new site at Garfield & Garvey as Sprint hasn't updated the maps since November.

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Dan,

I can assure that Sprint is still actively pursuing better coverage where they need it even when the map shows dark green coverage already. So don't give up hope. If there's a Nextel only tower nearby there is a very good chance it will eventually get CDMA.

But I do agree with you about the carrier's unwillingness to fix problems from a customer complaint. I've never seen it happen either despite numerous trouble tickets I've filed over the years that even made it to the highest level. The problem is that even if they know they have a problem it will usually takes dozens and dozens of complaints before they will look into it. They won't do anything for just one person. To add a new cell site takes 1-2 years and approval from the corporate big wigs in Virginia. There's often a lot of red tape involved.

5. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW & Sprint, & "the carrier fka Cingular"
    According to the Sprint coverage locator, my home is in a "Good" (not "Best") coverage area. I am only a couple of blocks away from "Best" coverage areas. At times, I have five bars of signal-strength, but at other times my phone switches to digital roaming on Verizon or Alltel.

Am I correct to assume that my phone goes to roaming due to "cell breathing?" In other words, is the roaming caused less by signal strength, but more by capacity issues at those tower locations? As the towers become busier, their ranges contract, and due to me being a little further from them, I get pushed out?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Cell breathing on CDMA networks is pretty much a thing of the past with the modern technology they have now. I think it's something else. Have you tried setting your phone to 'sprint only' mode so it won't roam?

7. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes. When set on "Sprint Only" it usually stays connected. However, the signal strength meter ranges from five bars to no bars. I know the displayed signal strength indicator is not very accurate, but I believe it is a fair representation of the comparative signal strengths.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Pilot Pollution. Your phone can't stay locked on one tower because either the RSSI or EC-IO is too weak and/or noisy. So instead your phone goes into handoff mode bouncing around on different PN offsets without being able to find a dominant one. Common CDMA thing not caused by cell breathing but simply by being too far from the towers. This is very common in residential areas where towers usually can't be built due to city zoning restrictions.

9. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks, Larry!

That is interesting. I am located about two to three miles from the two closest towers that have Sprint antennas. According to the Sprint coverage maps, my home is in a "good" area (about 4 square miles) that is completely surrounded by "Best" areas.

I am confident that I don't have a phone problem, because the Sprint signal at my home is inconsistent with several different phones.

I would like to learn more about "RSSI or EC-IO is too weak and/or noisy." I will have to do some research.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Wow 2 or 3 miles from a tower is far. I'm only 3/4 mile away from the nearest cell site and I also pick up some pilot pollution. It also depends on how the tower is optimized and what azimuth (direction) the panels are pointing. RF can be a tricky thing. You can be 1/2 mile away from a tower but if there's something blocking it's signal path (ie. building, terrain, etc) you might not be able to even use the signal from it. Also height is another factor. A 200 foot tower has much more range than one that's only 50 feet high.

11. AL904a

AL904a Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo Pro700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I will have to measure those distances. I may be closer than I think.

Thanks, again!

12. dalbrich

dalbrich Junior Member

I've seen the 5 bars to zero, repeating issue.

In my area that happens when the user is in a geographic area with a relative depression related to the land around it.

I have a buddy with the misfortune of living in such a sync-hole type location (which is lovely for everything but cell service). None of the carriers cover his specific location, even though the relatively higher ground all around him has excellent coverage.

In other words, the topography of a location is important. Radio signals don't go through earth.

-Dan

13. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I hate Pilot Pollution.

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Totally. I think the CDMA vendors need to fix the system so that the handoff range on CDMA phones doesn't kick in until the -90's dbs range instead of the -80's like it is now.

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That wouldn't help me at home, where I am usually in the high -90's lol.

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Here's an updated shot of the area that already shows some improvement:

[​IMG]