Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Do any Motorola phones have hierarchical phone books?

Discussion in 'MOTOROLA' started by Tennberg, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Tennberg

Tennberg New Member

Hi everyone,

I am currently an ATTWS customer with a Nokia 7210. I recently popped into an AT&T store and really liked the Motorola V505 (and its Cingular cousin, the V551).

I was considering making the "jump" to Cingular and picking up the V551. However, upon further research, I read that the V551 does not support a hierarchical phone book like my Nokia does. Basically, I can have one entry in my phone book (e.g., Jeff) and list his cell number, work number, home number within that entry and also mark him in a category (e.g., Friends).

I read that the V551 can only do separate entries based on each phone number, so I'd have to have a listing for Jeff (Work) and Jeff (Home) and Jeff (Cell), which I don't like.

Couple questions:

1. Is this feature only limited to Nokia phones? If it is, I may shop around for another Nokia.

2. Was the information wrong, and the V551 can actually support this?

3. Would a software upgrade or something else from Motorola/Cingular add this feature to their phone?

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't know about putting "Jeff" in a group like "friends" or "work" but the Motorola v551 & v505 both support multiple entries per name. So under "Jeff" you could have a work number, home number, cell number, fax number, alternate number, e-mail address, etc... that would count as one entry, "Jeff" not six for each different number listed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KenS

KenS Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710+HS820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I can't comment on the V551, but the V710 has what you call "categories" (they call them "types") in the phonebook. The way it works is that each phone number is separate, but you can put up to six under the same name and tell the phone to only display the "Primary" one (and you can change which is primary). With this, you can select a person, then page sideways through their numbers.

The six types are: Work, Home, Main, Mobile, Fax, and Pager.

This isnt documented in the manual, so it's possible this is a Verizon change to the basic Motorola phonebook. If you have a V551 demo to play with in a store, try creating a new number and see if the "Type" field exists.

The phonebook also allows you to set a "category" on each entry (which is a text string), but it doesn't appear to do anything useful, and when I sync the phonebook with my mac they all end up in the "General" category, regardless of the category name on the computer (this could be a Mac problem, though). The category field IS documented in the manual.

4. sbsyncro

sbsyncro Junior Member

This is the same way that the v505 works as well. In fact, if you sync with MPT, the Outlook "category" comes across in this field, IIRC

5. KenS

KenS Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710+HS820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Very useful. Unfortunately iSync from a Mac (which I use) doesn't support this, although that may be a problem with Apple's Address Book application.

6. dfrankel

dfrankel New Member

The 551 allows you to view either all contacts or the primary contact for each entry in your address book. Under address book setting you must choose list primary contacts as opposed to list all. Once the your contacts are entered choose which one is the primary contact and that is the one that will appear in your address book. All other contacts will appear under that listing.