Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Disappointed in VZW coverage NE MI

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by CaptainLoose, Aug 23, 2004.

1. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    VZW recently announced new coverage in MI's northeast lower peninsula. Their coverage maps show the entire area covered by digital extended roaming. Since I (and thousands of others) travel to this area on weekends, I was delighted to know I'd have coverage and opened a new account w/ VZW. I purchased the v710 (reportedly among the best rf phones).

I went up this weekend (Garland area) and had nothing but analog roam in most areas. Some new coverage appeared on major state highways but, in between, nothing but analog. I wouldn't be pi!#$d if the published maps showed some analog coverage but they don't. Although I had a strong signal all weekend, I was unable to have an intelligible conversation with anyone on analog. It wouldn't even help in an emergency!

I may switch to an all digital phone to see if that helps. I have 4 days left on my 15-day trial. Not sure if I have enough time to test a new phone out so I may cancel my VZW account entirely.

I'm skeptical that digital extended coverage exists - just a blatant lie by VZW. Does anyone else have a positive experience in the NE LP?

2. jayatmtu

jayatmtu Junior Member

hmmm...that's strange....I had pretty good digital coverage up there. The area is now covered by extended network with both Alltel and RFB Cellular. Try forcing your phone to digital only so it will fall back to the Alltel digital signal if there is no RFB digital signal (which is a higher priority in the PRL). Also make sure you have the latest PRL version.

Jason

3. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

You had a good analog signal but you had bad voice quality????? I guess the v710 does not do well in analog mode, you might want to try a different phone.

And I wouldnt blame Verizon for the map, they are just going on the licensed service area for the preferred provider for that area, which I believe would be Alltel, and yes, they need to get on the ball and add more digital coverage, I was in the UP a couple of months ago, and was shocked, no digital at all, and even the analog was weak, might have been ok if I had a bag phone.

4. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    That area due to Cellular One agreement way way way back in the day RFB Cellular has to be higher in priority both A and B block Cellular is free Roam on Americas Choice there.