Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Disabling GPS on Verizon phone, questions

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by JasonWells, Jan 16, 2006.

1. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    My friend wanted me to post for him. He has been with Verizon since 8/02, with fairly positive results. He has used LG VX10 phones, because he loves them. The current phone has nearly 4000 hours of use and the phone is having some problems. Ironically, it started acting up on January 1st when he did a *228. It will use mostly analog service or very little reception of digital, in Sioux Falls, SD. This shouldn't be happening. He has tried to activate another LG VX10, but Verizon refuses. They told him to get a new phone. He hates GPS and wants nothing to do with it. So, if he gets a new phone, can the GPS be permanently disabled? Is there a way to remove the GPS antenna or something? I understand this seems bizarre, but I am asking the question of behalf of him. Thank you for all the help!

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Verizon is right in refusing your friend, or any customer, to activate a non-GPS compliant phone. CDMA carriers have a deadline to meet to have most people using GPS compliant phones. I'm not sure if any carrier will still allow you to activate a non-GPS compliant phone. There is a setting in all Verizon phones for the GPS that's either "Always on" or "911" only. There is no way to always disable GPS, but if you put the option to "911" only the GPS function will not activate unless you call 911. If you have your GPS setting to "ALWAYS ON" still doesn't mean that anyone could find out where you are. This setting can be used to have organizations with special equipment find you while you are talking to them- example, maybe the forest service or forest ranger if you are lost in the woods...it's not an easy process to find your location like that and it can only be done if you are actively on a call I believe.
    Hope this helps.
    Andy

3. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I can understand liking the VX10, I had on of those phones, nice little phone, sounds like he wore his out!!!

Just remember, the GPS thing is a government thing, the carriers are supposed to have 95% E911 capable phones by now, which I dont think any carrier actually has acomplished yet(I could be wrong on that)

I know there are people out there who are paranoid about the governent being able to "track" you with a GPS enabled cell phone. You can tell your friend that is not possible, all of the phones by default are set to 911 only and as far as I have seen, if you change that setting to allways on, the next time you turn the phone off and back on, it will be back on 911 only.

If the government wanted to track you using your cell, they wouldnt need the phone to do anything, they can track it from the network, as long as the phone is on, they would know where it is.

Being in SD I would think there are alot of open areas, tell your friend that a GPS phone just may save his life someday, he should embrace the technology, not fear it.

As for a suitable replacement, I have a Motorola V276, size is similar to the VX10 and the reception is great, and it does have analog if neccessary.

4. vroberts

vroberts Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i (3)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There is no GPS antenna on the phone. The "GPS" designation is marketing hype. The Phase 1 of the Enhanced 911 rules require the wireless carrier to report the location of the tower that the phone is using. Phase 2 will require more accurate location information, 500 to 300 meters. This may be accomplished by having the phone talk to more than one tower and triangulate its position using multiple towers or perhaps by tracking the phone as it moves from tower to tower.

GPS systems will not work indoors and in cars unless they can "see" the sky through the windshield and then some windshields contain conductive films to defrost the windshield that block the GPS signal. GPS systems also do not work well in places like mid-town Manhattan that have many tall buildings. My GPS will sometimes fail to work if there is dense tree cover.

5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    GSM carriers are already compliant as they triangulate the phone's position by the towers, it does not rely on any specific hardware in the phone to report the position.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. vroberts

vroberts Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i (3)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But what if the phone is in contact with only one tower?

7. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I have never experienced this, even in rural areas when I put my phone in engineering mode I've never seen less than 3 towers. THe signals may be weak and not able to support a call, but all that is required by the triangulation software is that the tower can be able to receive the signal from your phone. As others have also said using the hardware approach won't work if you're inside or in a car. I'm not saying its perfect, but it doesn't require all customers to replace their handsets like CDMA carriers are doing.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...