Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Digital Phone

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by rainy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. rainy

rainy New Member

If you are a current user for digital phones please let me know. I have just signed up for a digital company but I don't think I know how the thing works. Please help me.:confused:

2. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    It depends on what you mean by digital phone. It sounds like you're using either Sprint or Verizon. Tell us a bit more about which provider you use and what brand/make the phone is.

Have a look here to see how 1 person described their experience with using a digital CDMA (Verizon/Sprint use this technology) and a GSM (always digital, never used an analog setup since its launch in Asia, Europe or North America, Cingular/T-Mobile use this technology) phone in Hawaii:

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/western-us-wireless-forum/53664-my-humble-hawaii-report.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    in the mid 90's i had vs, and i bought a analog sleave from the vs store, which gave me analog, fall back. even tho it was a digital phone, the nokia 5190. i still have that sleave. so yes gsm did have analog here in the us.:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Some GSM phones had AMPS capability to roam on AMPS networks outside the swiss-cheese like GSM coverage we had in many areas years ago. :) I remember a friend of mine still has an unactivated VS phone that had AMPS backup.

5. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yep, that's exactly it. The AMPS coverage came through the likes of Verizon or Sprint or smaller AMPS-capable networks depending on where there was a clear roaming agreement between T-Mobile and other carriers. GSM was never connected to analog networks here in Europe since most western European countries had their own ETACS analog network in the 900 Mhz band which is now being used for GSM 900.

6. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at that time it was swbm, and western wireless, and maybe even att. here in oklahoma.

verision never has been here, and sprint did not have roaming agreements with vs.

7. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I see, even so GSM has never been connected to an analog standard as much as CDMA is.

8. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    vs's parent was western wireless, and they spun vs off when they went pcs, so i would say they had some type of roamming agrement. as far as im concered verision was late to the dance. everone one gives them too much credit. but thats just me.:browani:

9. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I have read that as well, Western Wireless did quite a lot to pioneer the GSM launch in the US. Amazingly, they were also one of the very few US-based providers to venture abroad. Of course, now Alltel is selling off those networks.

10. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    yeah, its a shame too.

11. rainy

rainy New Member

Because I do not have a land line, I am not acutally using the digital phone yet. My initial inquiry is about this company called ACN that claimed they are the only company marketing the real digital phone and VoIP services. The digital phone they are offerig is the one use via high speed internet, but the VoIP, what exactly is it, can you explain it to me?

Thanks.

12. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
  13. rainy

rainy New Member

Thank you so much, so what is your personal opinion on the digital phone from what your readings? I understand the digital phone uses high speed internet, what about the VoIP?

14. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes, John Stanton (founder, former president and CEO of WWC) is a :censored: genius. He had WWC buy PCS licenses, started Voicestream, spun it off and then sold it to DT for a bundle.

When WWC got bought out by Alltel he and his wife, Terry Gillespie (former Senior Vice President and CFO of WWC,) who is also a :censored: genius, ended up with more Alltel stock than anyone else. Mr. Stanton now sits on Alltel's board of directors and, I believe, is also on T-Mobile USA's board of directors. At one time he was on Columbia sportswear's board but I don't know if he still is.

:censored: genius!

15. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am not sure what you want to know about VoIP service, but I have had it for close to 2 years with AT&T & like it, I have been seeing some dropped calls lately & think the Gateway is going bad or problems with the cable line which I am going to try & get it fixed soon.
    As for the Cons of VoIP, if your in an area that gets power failures or cable/dsl issues then your phone is down, using a UPS battery backup will help keep the phone on during power failures to a point.
    Other then that, the savings is a big plus and people can't tell your on a VoIP phone when making calls.