Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WEST U.S. -- different format on verizon phones? or suggest a phone.

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by splpsn, Jul 12, 2009.

1. splpsn

splpsn New Member

Ok here goes,:help:

I am a verizon customer. Before I became a verizon customer I was a sprint customer.
    When I was a sprint customer I had a cheap nokia "stick phone". I loved the format that was programmed into the phone. Under a name in the contacts, it had home phone, cell phone, fax, e-mail, plus address, and a comment section where I would write in directions.
    When we switched to verizon, for better coverage (verizon coverage has been alot better) we also got new verizon phones. All verizon phones are programmed the same.

I drive truck and use my phone for more than just talking on. I really liked having the address and comment section. I tried contacting verizon and Nokia with unsatisfying results. I am not real tech savy and my wife says I should just give it up. Is there a way to put the format that sprint and other carriers use onto a phone and use it on Verizon? Or, Any suggestions on some other type of phone???:headscrat

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    To the best of my knowledge the format details of the contact are hard coded in the phone's firmware & not defined by the provider.

Which Nokia did you have? If you liked the formatting on that phone your best bet would be too look for a comparable one for Verizon. I would hope that Nokia at a minimum could tell you that.

There maybe other phones that have the same fields & I hope someone else will chime in with suggestions.

Other than that, any SmartPhone will have what you need and more.

I would suggest trying to find a comparable Nokia.

Hope this help.

Welcome to WA :)

Palm850/v0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Sorry, but you're out of luck on this one. All Verizon phones (outside of smartphones and Blackberry's) use the same Verizon user interface. There is no way to adjust the properties of the contact options. They did this for uniformity among their phones, at the expense of the many unique and useful features available with manufacturer UI's.

Trying to get another phone (non-Verizon) to work on their network is more of a headache than it's worth, if you're able to do it at all. Verizon is a CDMA carrier, which is incompatible with phones for AT&T and T-Mobile (which are GSM carriers). Sprint phones are compatible, but getting them to work on Verizon is like pulling teeth (with no guarantee it will ever work on them).

As Charlyee said, smartphones offer much greater flexibility and are not saddled with the same Verizon UI that regular phones are. This would be your only and best option with Verizon.

Welcome to Wireless Advisor, by the way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. splpsn

splpsn New Member

Thank you. I was hoping some computer hacker wiz kid would know a way:rolleyes:

5. splpsn

splpsn New Member

you people are not telling me what I wanted to hear. Now I am going to have to tell my wife she is right.

So far both of you are telling me either a blackberry,(I dont think thats gonna happen) or a smart phone. Any suggestions?

#5 splpsn, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  6. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes, tell your wife she was right. :D

I would go for Blackberry if Push/Exchange E-Mail is important for you. I think you should stop at a Verizon store & try out different SmartPhones. I believe you have a 30 day trial period, so you can always return it.

I haven't kept up with Verizon phones & they don't sell my favorite (Treo Pro, what else. :)), so sorry I don't have any specific suggestion. Maybe Mike or someone else will.

7. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Well, if you had a cheap Nokia candybar phone on Sprint, it was probably the 3588i (color display) or the 3585i (monochrome display). The only similar Verizon phones (only available used, on eBay) are the 3589i and 6015i (both color).

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks mframe. I had the 3589i with Verizon about 4 or so years back. If I remember right that did have the options that OP is looking for as does/did all my other Nokias even the flips. Although none of the others were with Verizon. That is probably why I was thinking this was defined by the manufacturer, in this case Nokia.

Now the OP has an alternative to SmartPhones.

Thanks Much. :)

9. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Another Nokia Verizon phone, the 6256i flip, was prized for its being (I think) the only Verizon phone that had Java, instead of Brew.

10. splpsn

splpsn New Member

I guess will have to start looking, Thanks for you help

11. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    I think the new LG EnV Touch has an expanded contact list that allows for PDA like info to be entered. Other than that you would be looking at something like a Blackberry Curve.

12. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Of which I can attest to. It was one of the best phones I've ever owned.

It was one of the last phones to have the original manufacturer UI. Solid awesome phone despite it's bulk (not the thinnest flip phone on the market).

13. JFarson

JFarson New Member

Two other Nokia candy bar phones, the 2128 and 6236 have the Nokia UI.
    They were out on VZW about three or four years ago, and in fact I have a 6236i that is still activated.

14. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That's right, I forgot about those. I still have two 2128i phones (one TracFone, one Verizon branded). Now that you mention it, didn't the 6236i also have Java?

15. JFarson

JFarson New Member

No, the 6236i on VZW is a BREW phone.