Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Determining SID on GSM Nokia phones

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by EdwardP, Jul 30, 2005.

1. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    On Nokia CDMA phones, there is a sequence of numbers/characters that when input, will display the current SID (system ID) that the phone has connected to.

Is there such a code that will display the current SID on Nokia GSM phones? When roaming, Cingular doesn't display the name of the roaming carrier, just "Cingular Extend" in the display, and with TracFone, their phones simply display "Roaming".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I don't think there's such a thing as a SID in GSM, I think they call it a network code. As to how you could see that on a GSM phone other than in your network selection, I have no idea. Cingular cripples their network selection on phones.

3. Can u not do..
    *3001#12345#
    Nam1..then
    Home System ID

.. or is that just with a TDMA or CDMA phone?? I believe I tried it with an OLD 5165 on Bellsouth Mobility once.

4. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Andy is correct (my mistake), it's a Network Code in the GSM world, not a SID.

What DarrylLee refers to, only works on CDMA and TDMA phones, not GSM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    With most GSM Nokia phones you need to enable Net Monitor on your phone. To do this you need the data cable and a program (search HoFo to find) to enable it. I have also heard that the OEM Nokia firmware will have it enabled already, but you need to get the phone flashed.

6. Budney, what exactly does having your phone flashed mean? My sons V262 is supposed to send/recieve pic messages, but it wouldn't and when we took it to Eloqui to get fixed, they gave him a loaner phone and said they'd have to get the phone send off to a corporate store to be "flashed".. and it won't be back till nxt week. What exactly does that process involve?

7. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Having your phone flashed basically means that you are getting the firmware/software on the phone updated. The process simply involves hooking the phone up to a computer and then executing the flash though the flashing program. The corporate store will more then likely test the phone after the flash to make sure the phone is working properly.

8. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    To the OP, does your phone have manual network selection enabled? Does it have the 850 band disabled?

9. oh.. thanks for tellin me. I hope that they get it fixed, because its kind-of stupid for me to pay for unlimited picture messages when his phone won't send them! lol