Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Determining current PRL's and software?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by AZO, Feb 25, 2003.

1. AZO

AZO Junior Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    How can a person tell whether he/she has the most current PRL and software on their cell phone? I was a Verizon customer for over two years and never knew my cellphone software and PRL were hopelessly out of date. One of the members of this forum happened to hear my concerns and told me how to update my PRL for better service. I now have ALLTEL as my provider and I would like to know if there is a website where I can check to see what's current. I suspect users of other providers would like to be able to do the same thing. Can anyone help us?
    Lynn

2. xtoddler2

xtoddler2 Junior Member

Im assuming on Alltel, you should call the Customer Service center, and they will tell you if your software is updated, or even updatable....probably take it in a store and have that done.

As for a PRL update, most phone companies do it over the phone by *228, or even next time you call into Customer Service, it will automatically update. I dont know what Alltel does, but thats what Verizon and Sprint do

3. pogo

pogo Junior Member

4. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Azo,
    The latest PRL reported for the Alltel National Freedom plan is 2202.

-Bill

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

*228 is a Verizon only command and will only work on Verizon cell phones while on the Verizon network. Other carriers have different ways of updating PRLs, so it's best to contact them if you need to update a PRL.

6. pogo

pogo Junior Member

*228 works on the USCC network also for updating the PRL

7. AZO

AZO Junior Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Bill, thanks for the info. I notice you have a Kyocera as one of your phones. I'm currently using a Kyocera 5135 and have looked all through my owners manual on how to find what PRL the phone is working on, but I can't find any reference on how to do that. Any ideas?
    Lynn

8. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Azo,
    Most Kyoceras respond to 111111 > OK. if you need a code, use 040793. As little as I know about Alltel's PRL, it appears as though they have made far fewer changes in it than Verizon. You could very well have a 6 month old version and still be current.

Unless you are having problems, don't rush to change the PRL.

-Bill

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. DemoMan

DemoMan Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG 5450
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    My understanding is that Alltel has two PRL's....802 and 8021....the second one is for the Jacksonville, FL market which is PCS......8 is the month that the PRL was updated 02 is the year....so if you got your phone in or after Aug. of 2002, then you are up to date...otherwise you are not. To my knowledge, the PRL is the same reguardless of what plan you are on. Local Freedom, National Freedom and Total Freedom all use 802 (or 8021 in Jacksonville).

*228 does not work on Alltel because they have never setup the network. It is rumored that *228 will be added later in the year, but that is just a rumor and it will be in the 3rd or 4th quarter if then.

Hope this has helped.

Brad

10. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

New PRL TODAY

AC Plan now 50074 (50073 on non-eri phones).