Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Denver & Front Range Carriers

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Stonewall, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Multiple Posts

Hey folks, new to the forums, as well as Denver Colorado. Currently a Verizon customer who is coming up on my EOC. I am pleased with Verizons coverage, but I can't stand the CS or the lack of decent phones (IMO). Considering a move to AT&T or TMO as well considering the BB Curve, or a "stable" PDA/smart phone. Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.;)
    Stonewall
    Semper Fi

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    First of all welcome to WA.

T-Mobile and AT&T are both good carriers. I personally don't like Verizon, or their phone selection, or their cumbersome user interface which is installed on all their phones. Also they have a habit of disabling features on phones such as GPS. I don't think you will miss Verizon once you switch.

I would suggest AT&T over T-Mobile because AT&T has a much larger native coverage area as well as 850MHz GSM which provides better coverage in buildings and in rural areas. T-Mobile relies heavily on roaming to fill in gaps in their coverage. Both carriers are GSM so if you don't like any of their phones, shop around online for unlocked quadband GSM phones. Have the phone that comes with your plan unlocked and sell it on Ebay to get some money back.

Take a look at Sprint also. They offer reasonable prices, and coverage in Denver is reliable. SERO offers from Sprint are extremely cheap.
    Sprint Employee Referral Offer
    If you need an e-maill address to use send me a PM.

Good luck.

3. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Welcome to Denver. Verizon is the coverage leader throughout the state of Colorado. If you spend more time closer to Denver, they have less of an advantage. However, AT&T is near the bottom of the list here. Sprint (or Qwest) and T-Mobile are a close 2nd behind Verizon. The only carrier worse than AT&T is Cricket. AT&T is playing catchup after years of neglect.

Of course, everything depends on where you spend most of your time. You could choose AT&T and be very happy. Both T-Mobile and AT&T phones roam on Alltel (or Union Wireless) outside of Denver/CO Springs, so you lose little with either in rural CO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I would probably chose T-Mobile over AT&T in Colorado. I did not have very good experiences when I travelled through Colorado on my Cingular phone last year. T-Mobile was a lot better!

5. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I should correct my previous post because T-Mobile does have respectable coverage in Colorado. Both carriers have good coverage in Denver and the surrounding area. Naionwide AT&T has a larger native coverage area but you should be happy with either carrier in Colorado. Plans with T-Mobile are reasonable so definitely compare the carriers. Also it is worth asking your friends who they use and how their experience has been with that particular carrier.

6. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Honestly, with free roaming nationwide on T-Mobile plans I would not worry about T-Mobile's smaller native network. They make up for it with great roaming agreements in most areas and native T-Mobile coverage areas are generally built out very well.

7. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I didn't mean to be putting down T-Mobile. They do have good roaming agreements. Also they have competitive pricing and they are always at the top of the customer satisfaction poles. Sorry if it seemed like I was being hard on T-Mobile. They do a much better job than I was giving them credit for.

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Everyone, THANKS for the feedback. I have to agree Bill Clinton, in regards to Verizon, that the UI and disabling a phones features are pretty senseless.

In regards to TMo and roaming I understand it that if one were say using the BB8320(or PDA/Smartphones) that while roaming you loose some functionality. I do a fair amount of national traveling outside of Denver and that would be an obvious concern.

Andy, thanks for adding your experience....between the 10,000+ post and the barrage of world wide carriers you keep, definitely worth considering what you have to recommend.

I understand that there is no perfect carrier or phone. I like the abilities of flexibility of a GSM network & phones. From what I have seen and read, the UI's are pretty appealing even the S60.

Again thanks for the input everyone, it seems like a pretty kool crowd in here at WA. :thumb:

Stoney

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ) 400x240 LGE VX10000)

stoney thanks for your kind words! i am not sure whether or not you lose bb features while off the t mobile network. if i had to guess i would think that features travel with you while roaming but this may be something to ask in the t mobile forum. also i love the flexibility of gsm and once they can provide me with the coverage and quality that verizon is currently offering me i will be the first to throw all crippled phones i have on 5 lines right at them :)

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Member

My Phone:
    Soon the BB 9530 STORM
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    LOL did ya have to go and put it like that Andy:browani:. Damn Verizon coverage! It's the only thing it has going for it LOL. And to top it off, if I am reading this right, you posted this this from your darn Voyager.....Arrgghhhhhh :banghead: The eternal search continues........

Okay okay, I had to come back and edit and ask......How is the LG VX10000?

#10 Stonewall, Nov 20, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You know Verizon coverage is great on my travels and their customer service (for me) has always been excellent...I know everyone's Mileage varies. Still, no CDMA carrier can beat the flexibility of swapping SIM Cards with GSM.

The Voyager is awesome; not the iPhone killer in my opinion (it's a little heavy and the iPhone definitely has better/more advanced functions), but I am very pleased with my Voyager.

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    From what I have seen in this post the one person I would trust the most on this is Bill Radio he works plays and lives there. And honestly I think he is someone to be trusted just knowing him. I know when I went through colorado in the north west part for a while verizon was nothing but great for me.

13. maximus

maximus Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N78
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    I would agree with Bill about Verizon being best overall in the state. I carry a verizon phone for work and an att phone for personal use. Most of my time is spent south of 285 and west of i25.

Down here att has treated me well. I have yet to drop a call (on the gsm network). There are a few spots att needs to work on but I can say the same for verizon (my apartment :(). One thing I will say for verizon is that I haven't seen "no signal" on my phone yet. The most issues I have had with coverage have come from tmobile. They don't work at my workplace just off south Santa Fe Dr. They also have weak/ no signal indoors in the Bowles Crossing area (Wadsworth & Bowles). Sprint's network has been good and would be my choice if I went with a CDMA provider.