Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Debate technologies?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Oct 18, 2001.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    That IS interesting that WA phrased the intro as "debate...."

So here goes. In my humble but "stick a bee in your bonnet" opinion, there is no such thing as "best" technology. I have read adamant postings that CDMA is the “best.” Baloney! It may be the most technology-advanced, but that is inconsequential to posters that have recently been complaining about service they used to have in certain areas and do not have anymore. And the reason? Because of the growing number of subscribers in the area has reduced the available bandwidth.

So, I respectfully submit that “best” is a perceptual thing that is not defined by how new something is. (I have “old” things that have outlasted the newer things with more “gee-wiz features.” Reason? Quality of product.)

Am I suggesting that TDMA or GSM is better somehow? No. I have always held that each technology has both it strong and weak points and that what the buying public is more concerned with (as evidenced by the growing number of rants) is an awareness that quality of service is more important than how advanced the technology is. Granted, we are all concerned about security now-a-days. Who isn’t? But for the most part, digital signal is sufficiently sophisticated, regardless of broadcast method, for preventing most would-be jerks from eavesdropping or cloning.

Soooo, did I stick a bee in your bonnet?

Kevin

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've read that TDMA can be the worst if the network gets to be too crowded or has too many users. That's why the service in NYC is often poor. I found a good web page the other day about this but can no longer find it to post here.

3. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    yessir. I can demonstrate to you during rush hour ATT's network giving fast busy signals or 'or circuits busy' indication in the Castro Valley / Hayward area (880/580). Lets hope the political and governmental working environments lighten up so the carriers can address the need before we end up in total system overloads. The ill-winds of overly-strick expansion on repeater regulations are hosing things up. Then again, we need to get the overly-purist environmentalists off the back of the governments so they can act without undo hinderance.

(Environmentalists: I appreciate the work you do, and I am not at all implying that all environmentalists are extremists. Indeed your work does much to help both the environment and public health. On the other hand, I and many others NEED cellular just for personal health, safety and protection. Those hindering wireless growth are hurting people like me. And yes, I agree if all those who use wireless just to chat about nothing all the way home were to get off the phone, we might be able to stem the tide of growth. But what are the chances of that?)

Kevin

4. Untitled1

Untitled1 New Member

Some technologies can be better than others, the problem is how its implemented. CDMA theoretically should be the best because of its encryption and number of users it can support. However, most CDMA carriers sees this as an excuse to sign up anybody and everybody and therefore, still overloading the service.

5. Buzz

Buzz New Member

Watch the bluetooth, cdma2000 and other integrated wireless technologies. I think that is where we are headed. Wireless communications(in it's pure form) will liberate the internet and all communications technologies.

Those of you selling pagers and cellphones now will be selling some incredible portable devices in the future.

Exciting times we live in!

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Kevin,

You seem pretty well versed in wireless and therefore I was wondering if you knew of any good websites regarding flashing. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the whole flashing concepts and it doesn't look like there's much out there.

Tom

7. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Let me make sure I understand your question. Are you asking about reprogramming the phone to work on another carrier system?

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Yes, flashing the IRDB or PRL into the phone to work on a specific carrier.

9. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I have never come across a site dedicated to this (even as a sideline). If you go to www.deja.com and type in cellular, you will see a number of alt.cellular discussion groups and subgroups listed. I've seen posters inquire about the subject and some have responded with specific answers to specific questions -- phones, carriers. Try that. I'm a very relunctant to get involved in any discussion of this sort because it borders on hacker mentality (which I strongly oppose).

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Thanks! For the record, I can assure you I'm not hacker nor am I trying to obtain this information for anything illegal. I am a project manager with Worldcom in the Wireless division. One of my areas of responsibility is flashing. I am familiar with alot of this but I'm looking to expand my knowledge. This area of wirelss/cellular is relatively new and it's changing all the time. Since my company expects me to be the expert in this area I'm trying to educate myself even more in this area.

11. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I figured you were either a WorldComm subscriber or an employee. Since WorldComm does not maintain its own network, I'm surprised they consider "flashing" to be their responsibility. Actually, I am glad you joined us. So many of us would love to have a better understanding as to why WorldComm does what it does. What is the story with them being only a reseller? Why have they chosen to not build their own network?

By the way, I do apologize if you felt that I implied you were a hacker. I didn't get that feeling, I just wanted to state that I consider the conversation undesirable. I am a bit surprised that the company didn't provide you the needed tools (knowledge, resources, etc.) to do you job. If I were you, I'd quickly build some alliances with industry peers working for other carriers. Get to know who these people are. Propose a workshop where you all can get together and exchange knowledge. (That will probably go over like a lead ballon with your superiors, but its worth a try.)

Kevin

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Kevin,

I'm not sure why we don't pursue our own network. It really puts us at a disadvantage being a reseller. I do know we make money and Bernie Ebbers (CEO of Worldcom) is trying to keep a lid on costs right now so I can only figure he doesn't want to invest in the capital structure necessary to compete at a nation level.

The reason flashing is actually a bigger issue at Worldcom then other carriers is because we are a reseller. We resell every carrier (almost) and therefore have to be able to correctly flash the phones to the correct carrier the customer receives. If you are AT&T, for example, you only have to worry about 1 flash code because it works nationwide.

Ironically that's why I signed up for wireless advisor to get a pulse of the industry. I've been in cellular/wireless for 8 years and I'm pretty familiar with the industry. But this flashing thing has caused a lot of problems for us. For example, if you flash a phone for AT&T you can't reflash it for another carrier such as Cingular. But if you flash for Cingular first you CAN reflash for AT&T. It's these little nuances that are causing problems. I do have contacts at some of the carriers but alot of what they do is well guarded and for good reason, you eluded to the hacker one already. I've talked with Motorola but they won't give outside people any information even though we buy phones from them. My plan is to learn as much as I can about this topic and try to figure out the best way to handle it at Worldcom. I'm hoping to attend the CTIA show in Orlando in March. I was gonna go to CES in Vegas but I have other commitments that week.

Thanks for the good feedback and this seems like a good place to pick up some information. By the way, do you work in the industry?

Tom

13. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Tom,

I do not work for a wireless carrier. My background and knowledge is mostly from experience as a subscriber and from personal research. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from impulse buyers. I will research purchases "to death" before making a decision. In the meantime, I become very knowledgeable about whatever the subject-matter is. I have had wireless service either personally or as assigned by my employer with: ATT, Cingular and Verizon. I keep tabs on the rate plans and service/non-service areas of the vendors.

My initial interest in visiting WirelessAdvisor was to point newbies to my website (mentioned in my "profile")

By the way, in case you are considering the purchase of a digital camera, that was my latest "research." I spent about 2.5 years reading everything I could about the technology (weaknesses, strengths), about the players in the market and learning about the various concerns users had (by reading info boards about the subject). (See what I mean about beating research to death?) Anyway, during those two years technology continued to improve but price remained pretty steady--no matter what, the latest mid-range technology (now at 4.1 to 5 megapixels) was always around $1000.

Anytime I spend more than a few hundred dollars on single item, I choke. So I kept waiting. Well, my wife made a major (happy) announcement recently and then concluded--you'd better get that camera you've been wanting. I spent the next 3 weeks re-examining all the offerings and settled on the Canon Powershot G2. Wonderful camera! I took a picture down in Big Sur, CA of a stream that empties (as a waterfall) into the Pacific Ocean at highest resolution. I then uploaded it to ofoto.com and was surprised to be informed that the highest resolution I could enlarge it was 20" x 30". It was $20. I went for it just to test the output. It was so good, my wife and I went out and bought a frame and matting. It now hangs over our fireplace. (A different shot of the same scene taken several months earlier with my point-and-shot instamatic camera is available on my website. http://whitehare.topcities.com) If you'd like details about why I chose it over the Olympus 4040 or the Sony Cyber-whatever, email me.

Kevin

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Kevin,

Congrats on your new addition (I think I'm reading that right). How much did you pay for your digital camera? I was looking at getting a digital camera, ironically enough, so your information will be invaluable.

Your website says you work for a telecom company, which one? If you don't mind sharing.

Tom

15. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Tom,

My fault, I shouldn't have veered off the wireless subject-matter. A few Wireless Advisor employees have been very kind to me so I don't want to misuse this site. (Plus, I really don't want these personal matters readily available to all readers.) Please write me at my email address and I will gladly answer your questions.

Kevin

16. lagreca

lagreca New Member

I believe you are wrong about TDMA being the worst. I think you are confusing it with CDMA. TDMA can only have a fixed number of users, which might be bad for the carrier, but its good for the user because the level of service will always be the same. CDMA can have many more users, but the more users that are on the system, the lower the quality.

Network busy signals dont really have that much to do with the technology rather its the problem of the carrier overselling their network. I currently have ATT in San Francisco, and have been very happy with them. To date I haven't gotten a single network busy signal. However that is much more than I can say for Cingular, whom I switched from. Their network is so jam packed that not only could I not make phone calls most of the time I wanted to, but also couldn't receive them.