Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Dead Zone! - Signal Repeater?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by sunny1, Jul 13, 2006.

1. sunny1

sunny1 New Member

I moved 5 miles north of a city - 1/2 mile of the interstate in Louisiana and am now in a "Dead Zone" as stated by Sprint customer service.. Cingular is supposed to work but do not want to hassle changing providers and paying etf. Will a signal repeater work? If so, what kind, who sells them, etc.

2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    I am looking at the Sprint maps. Have you tried using your phone with the mode set to analog only (if you have a tri-mode phone)? There seems to be a mix of analog and digital in your area, and analog will allow you to make and recieve phone calls at home.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    first of all.....what kind of phone do you have and maybe we can help you better

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sunny1

sunny1 New Member

I have an LG VI125

5. sunny1

sunny1 New Member

Also, I have tried it in analog - roam. It is full of static and my listeners get frustrated and hang up. On the map there is a Cingular tower near by - but don't want to go there.

6. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh, hmm, unfortunately I've heard only bad things about that particular phone. But I don't have much experience with repeaters, maybe a 3 Watt booster will work? But again I don't know much about them. I'm sure someone else on here will though.

7. sunny1

sunny1 New Member

Can you suggest a Sprint phone that would work?

8. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh well I was just saying in general technical issues etc. Reception wise the best phones to get are Motorolas and Nokias, samsungs are decent, kyoceras, LGs, Audiovoxs are typically the worst as far as reception goes. I wouldn't be able to reccommend a phone or know exactly what kind to get unless I were to go there and see if one of mine work better. I believe that if you were to get a booster it would solve most of your problem.

Something like this...because it looks like you would be using different carriers towers anyway.
    http://www.smoothtalker.com/products/booster_for_cdma.php

If you are picking up pcs towers then this...
    http://www.smoothtalker.com/products/booster_for_pcs_cdma_1900.php

But there a lot of money. There might be less expensive ones somewhere.

Do you get about 1 bar of digital service around your house but not enough to make a call?

9. sunny1

sunny1 New Member

Thank You!

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    any phone that is dual band/tri-mode will get the best reception.....most of the phones listed on the sprint website are dual band/tri-mode......but like strunke said:

nokias are the best followed by motorolas, samsungs...the rest are just crap

11. motounlock

motounlock New Member

You really don't want to be using a cell booster, if you're prepared to pay a little more you can get a cellular repeater. Boosters have to be connected to your phone, while repeaters are wireless. Also, the whole "3 watt" booster thing is really misleading. Cellular signals are so weak, that having a 3 watt repeater really means nothing at all beacuse the signal won't be nearly strong enough to provide that much power. So you're better off looking at the gain of the amplifiers - something around 55dB is usually good for a medium sized house. Repeaters are generally much better amplifiers (in terms of noise and linearity)...but cost a bit more. http://www.cellboosterstore.com have repeaters for both frequencies, I have a 1900 and it works great improving signal for Sprint, Verizon EVDO, and Cingular in Orange County.

12. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sounds good, although they are probably going to want a Cellular repeater over a PCS one, that area is free roaming.

Sunny1 - When you are picking up any signal at all what is the current SID that is showing up in the phones status/network settings? We can find out whether you need a 1900 mhz repeater or an 800 mhz.......unless you got a new phone and things are better now.....

13. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Also, I'd reccommend switching to Verizon Wireless if you are out of contract or near out of it, they have more expansive native coverage in that area then Sprint.....
    VZW...
    [​IMG]
    Sprint...
    [​IMG]

The VZW one is from closer up. You are north of Lafayette right?

14. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    IIRC the best coverage in the area is Cingular because they had a decent network and made it better by adding an extremely well planned blue network, which is legacy Telecorp/Suncom.

15. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    A repeater will most likely be more expensive than the ETF. Can you force the phone into "Digital Roaming Mode" and roam on Verizon? This should work. Have you tried?

16. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The poster said he has an LG Vi125. That phone does not have the ability to force digital roaming.

17. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    They said they don't want to go to Cingular though.

18. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I could always help them change the NAM on their phone while they're at home to run on VZW, but i think if they get a phone with better RF they should be able to at least make a call, i read in the other post that she gets 1 bar all around her house.

19. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    If they did a NAM change to VZW at home, they would be carrying 2 plans....I think that is counter to their goals.:cool:

20. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Actually you can do it without that. Only one plan would be neccesary. As long as they are on a Sprint plan with no roaming charges. And Sprint lets their customers roam on vzw without extra fees (which i'm fairly positive they do). Then they could just use the NAM 2 at home on VZW while on extended free roaming, and when they traveled or they get in an area with adequate sprint service just change the active line back to the first one...

21. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    How would they get a 2nd (active) NAM on a single plan? I know you can have mutliple NAM's, but not without paying for it since it is two different phone numbers. To be even more precise, a NAM is the assignment module, or chip, that holds the phone number, lock codes etc...similar to a SIM for GSM. An active NAM or SIM requires carrier activation except for emergency (911) use as mandated by federal law. So, how does one have 2 NAM's on one rate? Unless you are talking about a single 'family' type plan with two numbers...which I would consider two plans (semantics aside).

22. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I can get onto Verizon and Sprint's network in my area by merely changing the SID, setting my MIN and MDN to my phone number just like in NAM 1, changing the active line, setting it to home, and dialing *228. It bills as though I am roaming (but it is free roaming with Alltel/extended nework really).......

I'm not putting it on the plan, just on the phone. So the phone looks for Verizon towers as home network instead of Sprint/Alltel towers. All you have to do is change the SID in NAM 2, everything else would be the same as NAM 1.

It still registers as a Alltel phone to the Sprint/VZW towers (because of the ESN). But to the phone it doesn't think it's roaming....

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    thats pretty interesting....its probably illegal but its effective and that is all that matters :cool:

24. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well, I'm sure they don't like it, but it is not illegal. It is just as though I am roaming on those towers, if I were to leave it on there and use 50% of my minutes like that for three months in a row I'm sure I'd be hearing from them because it still registers as roaming on Alltel and they would eventually notice me using it in a well covered native Alltel area....I don't really use it that often, but it is cool to play with. I tested how good the new Verizon network is in my area. So far not better then Sprint, Sprint edges them out by a little. But Sprint has been here a lot longer....

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    but there is probably a clause in your Terms that states no tampering with Sprint software or hardware that is distributed.....blah.......blah....blah...........like i said.....who cares......its effective

26. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Haha, yeah, I guess so. The man can't hold me down! :cool: