Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Data Plans: Personal Email vs. Corporate Email

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Bruiser, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

I am ready to purchase a smartphone, probably a Blackberry. In investigating, I see that Verizon has two different data plans; one is labeled for personal email the other is for corporate email.

M employer will be allowing me to sync (?) with our exhange server so I can receive my work email on my personal cell phone. Will I need to purchase the data plan for corporate email in order for this to work? It's $15 more than the personal email data package, for the same amount of data (2G).

What would happen if I just purchase the data plan labeled personal email. Will there be some sort of block and I won't be able to be connected to my employer's server?

2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    There's no clear cut answer. For example, with my Google Nexus phone I can have access to all of my personal email accounts as well as my work email (Exchange server) form the same phone without having to pay anything extra for "corporate". From what I know Blackberry is different from Android in that regard, plus your employer may very well have additional regulations in place about which mobile devices can access the Exchange server. You should find out more from your employer and also decide whether Blackberry offers you something you need that you can't get from other smartphone platforms.

3. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Thank you. I have spoken to our IT vendor. He has no knowledge of any other requirement. The reason I'm gong with Blackberry is simply that our server is too old to handle android technology (it's a 2003 microsoft exchange server). So, I don't believe it's anything on my employer's side. I was just wondering if Verizon would somehow block email coming from the Blackberry enterprise to my phone if I don't have their corporate email data plan.

It's really quite annoying. Based on what I've been able to find out, there would be no expense or additonal effort on Verizon's side to have my phone synced with my employer's exchange server, since all email goes from our server up to the Blackberry (cloud) server and then down to the phones. Why would they charge more for this, other than to get more money?

4. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    From what I know Android built-in email can handle Exchange 2003 as long as ActiveSync is enabled. There's also a Touchdown app (Platforms) that works with Exchange 2003SP2 & later. I wouldn't be surprised if the corporate plan was just a money grab by VZW but I don't know if they can block your access without that plan. If you have a way of checking out whether you can get what you need to do with a device other than Blackberry I'd suggest you do that before pulling the trigger.

5. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

That's interesting information! Thanks, I'll pass this along to our IT vendor and see what he says.

6. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    If not too much trouble, please post your findings and what you end up doing — it might be helpful to someone else in the future.

7. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Yes, I will! Hope to get an answer next week.