Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Dash is dead, need new phone.....

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by dkperez, Mar 10, 2010.

1. dkperez

dkperez New Member

Well, let's see if the WirelessAdvisors can live up to their billing.... And I sure hope there's a lot more activity over here than in the T-Mobile forums...

I have a Dash. Actually it's the SECOND Dash 'cause the first one died less than a year into the contract. The SECOND one died the other day, and even trying a new battery at the T-Mobile store couldn't get it to power on...... SO, apparently I'm going to have to get another phone....

What I'm looking for is pretty simple:
    Finds a signal - I spend time in places with poor signals, so a phone that is good at finding one would be helpful.
    WORKS AS A MODEM.
    Gets email
    Lets me find things on the Internet
    Has a BIG keyboard - I have big hands - the keyboard on the Dash is VERY small to me.

I DON'T need the whole of Office on the phone - I'm not going to be reviewing spreadsheet there
    I DON'T care about all the social networking crap - I don't tweet, Facebook, or Myspace

I need a good, strong, robust phone that'll find a signal, let me make calls and WORK AS A MODEM INTO MY LAPTOP. Preferrably 3G.

Which t-Mobile phones will do this? 'Cause I'm getting a LOT of drastically different opinions. The CLIQ, for example, SAYS it's a modem. T-Mobile says ABSOLUTELY NOT. In fact, they've now told me that NO 3G phone can be used as a modem BECAUSE IT'LL CRASH THE 3G NETWORK... Oh.....

I don't care if its Motorola or Samsung. I don't care if it does MORE than I need. I don't care if its android or Windows. I just need it to work, work well, and stay alive UNLIKE THESE STINKING Dash phones. So, what do I get? My timeframe is short so I need info SOON.

2. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile

Going forward modem support is only a windows mobile option with no 3g so currently the phone lineup doesn't have what you need you may have to shop either third party for a device or upgradr to win mobile 3g device and hopefully the modem restriction is lifted, you know we do also offer a web stick for dedicated internet as well

3. dkperez

dkperez New Member

Thanks for the reply, but it CAUSES more questions than it resolves...

>Going forward modem support is only a windows mobile option with no 3g
    Does this mean I can't use a Blackberry and/or Android phone and get modem?
    And what's the problem with 3G? I find it VERY hard to believe that using a 3G phone as a modem is going to "CRASH THE 3G NETWORK"... So, WHY, if the phone can do 3G data, can't I plug it into the laptop and do the same thing?

>upgradr to win mobile 3g device and hopefully the modem restriction is lifted
    By whom? Is this some arbitrary restriction imposed by T-Mobile?
    And if so, what would cause them to lift it? And WHY was it imposed in the first place?

>you know we do also offer a web stick for dedicated internet as well
    Yes. And if I'm going to have to give T-Mobile ANOTHER $60/month to have a web stick I might as well go to AT&T or Verizon, which I DIDN'T go with because they were $40-50 more than T-Mobile, and get decent coverage where I frequently have NO coverage now (and YES, I've stood next to people on Verizon and/or AT&T and had them get great while I had zero).

I'm apparently missing something important here. Exactly WHAT is the problem with using the cell phone as a modem? And WHY is T-Mobile trying to make it difficult or impossible? Whether I read the email on a screen I can see or some miniscule screen on a cell phone, it's EXACTLY THE SAME EMAIL........

#3 dkperez, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    You can get around the phone as modem issue with either a 3rd party app such as PDANet, or install a custom ROM. I would recommend checking out the TP2. For what I have read and seen it does what you want. :)

5. dkperez

dkperez New Member

According to T-Mobile the TP2 is "OUT OF STOCK"........

6. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Stores should have them in stock. Online they ship from a warehouse, which is currently out of stock.

7. dkperez

dkperez New Member

Actually, I checked with three "local" stores, the closest of which is 30 miles from here, and none of them had any..... Apparently, T-Mobile has STOPPED selling this phone and they're "not available"... May be different in your neighborhood, but here, there don't appear to be any.

I checked on Ebay, but prices there are utterly ludicrous...

I can get the Motorola CLIQ for $150 as long as I can absolutely, guaranteed, use the thing as a modem... I presume I can unload all the 12-year-old-girl-crap that's on the thing since I don't myspace, tweet, play mp3s, facebook, or take pictures with the thing...

Even better, since the CLIQ XT was supposed to become available yesterday, mayhap, if it's not ridiculously overpriced go that way....... AGAIN, AS LONG AS I KNOW IT'LL WORK AS A MODEM.

Thoughts?

8. dkperez

dkperez New Member

To make things MORE "interesting", the CLIQ is apparently about to be supplemented by the CLIQ XT, which was SUPPOSED to drop yesterday...... Unfortunately, T-Mobile sales (at least the ones I talked to this morning) have no information on when they'll get it...

New new HTC is supposed to drop 3/24 and sales says AS FAR AS THEY KNOW they'll actually show up on time... Which I presume means they don't have a clue about those either.

9. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
  10. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Get any android phone there is a download available through the market place for tethering internet, user reviews say it works great on the G1 this is not supported through tmobile but because the OS is an open platform this will work. there is a cost for the app I believe it is either 14.99 or 4.99 so the cliq will work for you, the samsung behold II, the Mytouch should be available next week, or the G1 if you can find one.

11. dkperez

dkperez New Member

Looks like it's going to be either a Cliq, Cliq XT, or HTC HD2. It'll depend on which one appears to be the most comfortable to use, and whether I can keep my wife (in the case of the HD2) off my neck until 3/24-3/27 when it's supposed to drop......

BUT, (and yes, I've looked at the links) can SOMEONE give me a simple, straight answer to what I keep thinking is a simple question: WILL ANY OR ALL OF THESE PHONES WORK AS A MODEM TETHERED TO MY WINDOWS XP-PRO LAPTOP? If the answer is ABSOLUTELY as long as I have PDAnet or something, fine. But the discussions in other places appear to be jammed with people much more interested in showing they're the smartest kid in the room by making their answers as arcane and unintelligible as possible... SO, WHICH ONE (OR ones), will work?

FWIW: I was told by Tmobile rep tonight that ABSOLUTLY NO ANDROID PHONE WILL WORK AS A MODEM...

12. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    as a tmobile rep we are told that only win mobile will have modem support however that doesn't account for apps available in the android market place which will override any restriction placed on the phone by tmobile.

1 person likes this.
  13. dkperez

dkperez New Member

Thank you for the succinct answer! I've had an app called tetherwifi recommended, so it sounds like there are things out there that'll actually work.

I've also now talked to a couple people that have USED the Cliq XT and found it to be better than the Cliq, and even the HD2, which they found to be FAR better than either the Cliq or XT.....

EXCEPT for one problem..... the HD2 is WM 6.5...... Not even 7... But, the word I'm getting is that if you can get past, or just ignore, the ugly O/S, the HD2 is a fabulous unit - especially for those of us with LARGE, clumsy paws....

I'll know more Wednesday.

14. dkperez

dkperez New Member

I have SEEN the phones........

I played with all 3 phones yesterday... The Cliq is nice, and the keyboard is functional. And the Android O/S seems pretty well organized. But the thing is just chock full of silliness that'll appeal greatly to the group of 12-year-old girls that tends to make up new names with bizarre spellings for themselves....

The Cliq XT is also nice, but they've squished the keyboard down to fit the window, which is smaller than the Cliq keyboard, so it's not as roomy. And it's just as full of social networking stuff. Swipe seems rather cool and is something that would/will be reasonably easy to learn to use efficiently.

When I mentioned the HD2, the manager asked if I wanted to play with one. "We've got one charged to play with"..... Of course I did...

And, sad to say, there is NO comparison between the Cliq and the HD2. Why sad, you ask? Because the HD2 is a really UGLY pig dressed up in a gorgeous, custom designed, hand stitched, beautiful gown..... In fact, the gown is SO nice, it's easy to get past the ugly pig part.....

It's BIG, it feels solid, it's BRIGHT, SHARP, and VERY BIG. Did I mention IT'S BIG!
    And it is FAST. Compared to the Cliq, everything I touched was perceptibly faster. It's Windows, and because I'm not familiar with Android, it was somewhat easier to find things to play with. In the 20 minutes I played I explored a bit and to me Swipe works amazingly fast and the Sense technology seems to work equally well.

The HD2 feels like a tool, not a toy. A well-made, adult tool. And, of course, there's the thought that it'll tether to the laptop without needing a 3rd party application. and SUPPOSEDLY act as a wireless router (I'm going to have to read the manual for this one) I also figure in the not-too-distant future someone will get Windows 7 ported and working, and maybe Android. Either of which would be cool... We'll see.

SO, rather than getting a Cliq, and spending a week fiddling with it, only to return it in favor of the HD2, I'm using a "loaner" phone and there's an HD2 with my name on it that I can pick up once it's "released" next week. Presuming, of course, that T-Mobile doesn't try to screw me to the wall on the price!