Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Dash(AKA HTC Excaliber) vs. the Samsung Blackjack

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by tonyn41, Jan 17, 2007.

1. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    My inquiry was to 'share' the address book with my car. I have an OEM bluetooth system that can store contacts, but to transfer them from the phone, it needs to have Object Exchange/Object Push Profile in the bluetooth. My Blackberry 8700c does not. It pairs up for voice just fine, but won't push contacts. Like I said, not required, but desired in my next handset.

2. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Wait the BB 8700 would do that with some car systems, look at teh BT setup and make sure that it is set to all entries. Go to Options, Bluetooth, click on the wheel and selct options. In there you will see Address Book transfer and then select "all entries". Also when you pair with your car look at teh paired device and adjust the properties to be always trusted. It has been well know that some car systems don't pair well for phone book transfer. By teh way what car make you have?

3. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    I have tried both 'All Entries' and 'Hotlist' to no avail. My car is a 2007 Camry (with NAV). It requires the 'device' to push the data to it, and my phone's OS doesn't do that. The 8700 doesn't support OPP.

According to toyota DOT letstalk DOT com the Blackjack will do single contact transfer (one name at a time) but the 8700 won't do any contact transfer (confirming my experience). They don't have the 8525 listed. On the 8125, it says it won't transfer any contacts (single or all) either. Unless the 8525 has a different bluetooth profile support, it will be the same :(

4. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    That is too bad. I guess your car is one of the issues. I know the 8700 phone book transfer worked with Acura and BMW. For an example all Nokia N series dont work with BMW so one is boud to find some restrictions. But for the 8525, the link I gave above seems to let it work. I still have not tried the pearl. None of the BT cars are even close to me.

Edit: Saw the site and it says that BB 8700 phone book transfer will not work on the Toyota. The pearl will. May this would be solved when they release OS version 4.2 for the 8700 series.

5. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    I hope, but I don't have much faith. Recall that until the Pearl, Blackberry handsets were focused on a secure user, meaning no data transfer via a relatively unsecure bluetooth connection, and no cameras. As it is, I had to do some 'hacking' to get my sync and tethering to work via bluetooth.

BTW: I too am an EE with concentrations and 15 years experience in RF design and Telecom Networking.

6. tonyn41

tonyn41 Member

My Phone:
    Cingular 8525
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I had to reply to a fellow EE.
    I just had to pop that out there , since I am a newbee to this site, I wanted to also let you know I have some knowledge.:browani:
    I also have a BS in computer Science.
    I have over 30 years experience in Electronics and 25 in computer programing.
    But it's hard top keep up with everything.
    Always something new to learn.:confused:
    Besides, I am semi-retired now and am not on top of it all.
    For me, these are just toys to play with.

The 8525 has it's problems, but it has more potential for hacking it to work than the BlackJack, since it is more setup more like a computer, than a smartphone. The BlackJack and Dash are smartphones, where the 8525 is a PDA. There are also hacks to make it connect the 8525 like the Blackberry's do. So it has potential.
    You are only stopped by the hardware and the limits of the ROM.

Your car's system is proprietory , unlike a normal computer(where you have more potential to program it), and you may have problems with any type of PDA/Phone connecting propperly with it. These phones are also limited on operating systems, etc. But I think that the Microsoft PDA/Smartphones have more potential for hacks than other operating systems, since there are more programers out there with the tools.

Maybe you are better asking this on the "Hermes"(AKA 8525) forums over at xda developers. This is where I have been hanging out all night to see what others have come up with for hacks, etc., for the 8525 phone.

You may also look into the PCS 6700. There maybe more hacks for that phone.
    In fact I used a hack from the PCS 6700 on my 8525 to enable the bluetooth icon to apear on my today screen last night. I also changed Cingular's U icon for 3G to be 3G( it anoyed me to see a "U" instead of "3G" when I was on 3G).

I have just started with tweeking and hacking this 8525!
    Like I meantioned: "over the next few months I'll push this 8525 to it's max".

BTW the Dash is gone now. So I hope I showed you what you wanted to see with it.

#36 tonyn41, Jan 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  7. b3p0

b3p0 New Member

Wow-- this is a GREAT thread i just stumbled upon while doing some searches comparing the BJ to the 8525... ive been going back and forth on which to get.

One thing is that i cannot view the jpg you posted showing the dialpad on the 8525.. can you repost it, maybe inline?

One concern i have is the one-handed use thing- i am coming from a blackberry and am used to being able to do everything with one hand. Is the 8525 awkward in this aspect? How often do you typically need the stylus?

8. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    [​IMG]

Same here. I currently use a 8700c as my daily device.

9. b3p0

b3p0 New Member

Thanks!

One more question for y'all:

I previously owned a SMT5600 smartphone, and i liked how from the 10 digit numeric keypad i could dial some keys and it would show a list of names OR numbers that matched.

For example, entering "262" from the dial screen would show a list of things like:

-Phone numbers that contain "262" in them
    -All contacts named "Bob" (the alpha keys on the 2, 6, 2 keys spell bob)
    -Contacts with "Cob" somewhere in thier name....

Is this same functionality present in the 8525 from the touchscreen dialpad?

10. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    I used to have a phone like that. I loved it when I could only remember part of someone's number. Although, if they are in my add. book then I can just pull it by name.

11. b3p0

b3p0 New Member

So that doesnt work on the 8525?

12. tonyn41

tonyn41 Member

My Phone:
    Cingular 8525
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    No, as far as I can see the 8525 doesn't do that.
    But from the "today" screen you can tap on the "contacts" and scroll through your list.
    As far as one handed operation:

Yes, it's a little akward when doing a lot of typing, since you then would want to use the pullout keyboard, which rotates the screen so you have to hold the phone sideways. I have small hands, and can still manage, somewhat, to type onhanded that way.
    But when using the touchscreen phonepad you can manage onehanded easily(for dialing).
    I hope this helps some.
    I could take a picture of it with the keyboard out in my hand for you, if you want to see how it may would work for major typing, one handed(if you hands are bigger than mine, you should be better able to hold the phone one handed and type).

I like the stylis for "minute" clicking on screen(like when I am clicking on website links, etc.). and use the minature onscreenkeyboard with the stylis instead of pulling the keyboard out(this of cource is 2 handed). But for most items, if you have finger nails, you don't need the stylis to select items, etc. If you don't have nails, there are finger stylis you can buy.

But this phone has options to use the pullout keyboard, or onscreen minature keyboard with the stylis, or the nice and big phone pad for big fingers.
    I am still happy with my 8525.

BTW: The keyboard keys are nicer than the Dash's or BlackJacks, in that they are bigger and easier to type on(no slipping like the BlackJack,etc.).

13. tonyn41

tonyn41 Member

My Phone:
    Cingular 8525
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    This is about the best I can do for taking a picture of the 8525 with the keyboard out, and in my right hand(talk about akward, try taking a picture with a camera in your left hand while holding something in your right hand).
    YES it's akward trying to type one handed.
    My hand is small, so my reach with my thumb to the left side of keyboard is almost impossible, one handed.
    But if you have bigger hands, you may have better luck.
    So, yes it's hard to type onehanded.
    But what you are giving up there, you are gaining with a biggger keyboard, and a wider screen(although I haven't compared screen sizes of the BlackBerries to the 8525).
    My best advice is to go to a Cingular store and hold one in your hand.
    After I did that myself, I was satisfied.

BTW I have the web browser open(if you can see it), in this photo. As you can see: The screen is nice and wide for seeing webpages, documents, etc., better.

Attached Files:

#43 tonyn41, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  14. b3p0

b3p0 New Member

Do you have any issues when you are talking on the phone, as far as your face pressing keys on the touch screen?

15. tonyn41

tonyn41 Member

My Phone:
    Cingular 8525
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    No, unless you really pushed your face to the phone.
    But even then it wouldn't touch the touch screen.
    The screen is slightly depressed into phone, so, at most, your ear would push the buttons on top for email/IE explorer first.