Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Currious Question from a newbie on Nokia phones

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Scott's Nokia, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Scott's Nokia

Scott's Nokia New Member

:rolleyes:

I have read through many threads and have not been able to locate my answer to my questions.

The situation:
    I have AT&T and have a great rate plan on the TDMA network with a Nokia 6360 phone. I have two Nokia hands free car kits and a cell socket for this phone at my house. As you can see I have invested a little money into they phone, knowing these devices are compatible Nokia 5100 6100 6300 and 7100 series phones.

The Problem: My 6360 phone is on the frits and it is no longer under warranty. I am contemplating going to 6310i, but is a GSM phone. I know this is a worldwide GSM phone, but I travel mostly between the Midwest and NY/Long Island.

My sister has a 6340i (Gait) phone. I know it is locked to Cingular, but after doing a little Google searching today I found that you can unlock it.

The Questions is will I be able to unlock the phone, find a sim chip and have it programmed to my current AT&T service?

If I decided to go with a Nokia 6310i, does it use a sim chip? Where do I get a sim chip if my phone does not have one? How will the phone work with the AT&T GSM and will it pick up the other networks if it is not in the area?

Any and all help is much appreciated!
    Scott

2. mpallo

mpallo Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6590i, 6820b
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US
    You will not be able to keep your existing TDMA plan. You will be required to switch to a GSM plan. When you switch plans they will probably give you the SIM card, possibly require you to sign another service agreement depending on the status of your current contract. Both phones will require a SIM card.

You can unlock the 6340i and use it on ATTWS. I believe you need a special SIM though. I think activating it is a bit tricky since they have to configure both the GSM and TDMA/AMPS side.

I am not familiar with ATTWS plans, but I believe they have a national plan where there is no roaming. If you have a signal, it comes out of your bucket etc.

3. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    You're right.