Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Currently w/ AT&T - thinking of getting unlocked phone for Cing. - is this possible?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Tennberg, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Tennberg

Tennberg New Member

Hi everyone,

I am currently at AT&T customer with a Nokia 7210. After having seen all of AT&T's and Cingular's GSM phone offerings, I have come to the conclusion that none of them truly interest me.

I was considering purchasing an unlocked GSM phone (possibly a European or Asian model) that would be compatible on the AT&T/Cingular GSM network (probably a tri-band 900/1800/1900 model).

I would like to get such a phone, register it with Cingular, and move my current phone number from AT&T to Cingular. Is this possible? If so, are any fees involved with Cingular to register a non-Cingular phone on their network?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

2. cll

cll Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    Loved the 7210. Actually still using it for TMobile, my laptop likes the infrared for teathering to the internet. Anyhow, Cingular will most likely want u to buy a phone from them to do the migration. You could always take the freebie from them and buy what u want off ebay. The Nokia 6010 is free and easily unlocked to sell off. Or buy the 6230 from them. It is a truly worthy sucessor to the 7210. It has everything the 7210 has and more- especially bluetooth, decent camera, and much better speakerphone.

3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Your best bet is to migrate over to Cingular Orange & get a free phone 1st, they look for a unlocked phone that you like & just transfer the SIM. My other & more important suggestion is, when you go for an unlocked phone get one with 850/1900 as a Minimum for the bands as these are the ones used here in the US, if you got one like you suggested you can & will have reception & calling problems. Also if your going for 1 on ebay get a Quad band which has 850/900/1800/1900 and covers you where ever you go in this world that has GSM coverage.

4. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    You don't have to register no stinkun phone, you don't got to tellum nothin.
    Just put the SIM in the new phone, it will probably say Cingular when you put in the SIM if the switchover has occurred in your neighborhood.

Looking for a quad band would be a good idea but I think, and I could be wrong here, that the 850 will be much more important in a year or so from now and by that time you will find some other phone that catches your eye.

A tri-band , unlocked , should be all you need for a while. If you are going to spend over $100.00, then maybe you should invest in a quad.

Where do you live? Check ebay under "unlocked GSM phones". Lots of deals.

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I disagree with not needing an 850 phone now, Alot of area's that AWE had 850 Cingular has been using that for there customers now, plus alot of area's that are 850 are now control area's which will give the OP problems just getting a signal. I guess alot has to do with where the OP lives, but loosing out on 850 could cause coverage problems big time. Yes in a year it will be more important, but AWE did have people with 1900 only turn some in for a dual band phone, especially NY/NJ CA & NV.
    Also you are correct & the OP doesn't need to register the IMEI # with Cingular.

6. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What's a good place to unlock a Motov600?....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...