Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Curious about Tampa/ St. Pete Licenses

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by ih570, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ih570

ih570 New Member

How would I find out who held the first 2 licenses for Tampa/ St.Pete? Thanks in advance for any info you could provide.

2. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Not sure about what you mean by "first two", but if you mean the original cellular A + B (850 Mhz) licenses, that would be AT&T and Alltel (now Verizon). I think the details might be at the FCC website, though I am not sure what links would get you to the info.

3. ih570

ih570 New Member

In the late 80's the very first two licenses were selected by a lottery from all the applicants. I need to find out who the original license holders were. Not the system operator, but the license holder. Thanks.

4. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    No, even earlier. The A-band license lottery winner was McCaw Cellular (or they bought the license soon after). This company operated several years on its own, before "T" purchased them. This is the well known AT&T Wireless.

The cellular-B license went to Alltel, a wireline company serving many of the communities that license covered.

I don't know how much history you'll find at fcc.gov, but business newspapers like the Wall Street Journel have plenty of history.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 COtech, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  5. ih570

ih570 New Member

I know that at least one of the licenses was won in the lottery by a private individual from Illinois and then sold or leased it to the operator. I don't know wether it was the "A" or "B". That's the name I'm looking for. I've cruised around in the FCC site for hours and can't find the info. Would anyone have the dates the systems went online? Thanks again.

6. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    It would be the A-system license since you mention an individual. B- (for Bell) -system was for the wireline operators. Visiting the FCC site shows the Cellular Services were established in 1981.

Perhaps it's time to go browsing the archives of the Tampa Tribune and the Saint Petersburg Times, business pages only.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...