Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Samsung Culture shock: Samsung's mobile woes rooted in hardware legacy

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by JFB, Dec 22, 2015.

1. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    @KevinJames Posting this article for you.

Culture shock: Samsung's mobile woes rooted in hardware legacy

Efforts to revive its once stellar smartphone fortunes may be doomed if Samsung Electronics cannot overcome its dominant engineering culture, according to serving and former executives and those who have dealt with the company.

This culture, they say, has stymied many previous efforts to develop software and service platforms to support the smartphone business. In the past year several such services have closed down, at least one of them within a year of being launched.

(more at the link)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri likes this.
  2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    What could set them apart is not trying to rebuild Android software, bur rather focusing on hardware innovations, like a 41MP camera with Carl Zeiss optics, a clear back with solar cells for charging, running 64 bit android and having 8GB of RAM. Make the phone a little thicker and add a digital TV tuner to watch TV without using data.

#2 palandri, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    budney likes this.
  3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @JFB: Thank you. I hadn't seen that. I was reading an article that Samsung continues strong in sales, but then I read another that they are in trouble. I don't know what to believe anymore. I hope they last long enough to get the Note 6 out. After that, if I keep the phone for 3 years like I am doing with the Note 3, we'll see what the market is doing. There's been rumblings that in 5 years smartphones (as we know them today) won't even exist.

@palandri: I agree. Samsung seems to have gotten lazy with innovative or even truly improved products. The incremental (nearly inconsequential) upgrades they've made to hardware are very boring. Supposedly, (as I've already mentioned here), the Note 6 is supposed to "blow our socks off" if even half of the rumored upgrades are included. Regardless, 2016 will "have" to be my upgrade year because the Note 3 is ready to retire. (I kept feeling like death was waiting for me at the door, but then every time I felt ready to pack up, I'd start getting better. For a while, I stopped looking forward to things because of feeling it was useless and self-deceiving, but then I realized that even looking forward to an afternoon drive lifted my spirits. So now I'm trying to be eager about each new day. Although it seems like every 6 months some new major health issue hits, I've determined to love life.)

palandri likes this.
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Just buy American,or at least the highest percentage one can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.
  5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I have to say that Samsung has some of the best hardware in the business. I love my Note 4 and the Note 3 before it. But the software is just a mess. Things go smoothly and then 9 or 10 months later crap happens. There is always something that is a dud to me. For me, it is the damned antennas.

Anyway, back to software, it does harken back to the old 2.2 Gingerbread days. They definitely need to blow that mess up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    In the phone industry, what phone would that be? Certainly not Moto, definitely not Microsoft.

I'm frankly surprised you would make such a statement. Usually your posts are "spot-on."

palandri likes this.
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well, thank you, KJ. I do think I am spot on, in reference to the article posted in the OP.

Moto use to design their phones, maybe they still do; Google designs the OS and services, Microsoft is doing the same.

Other companies, design their iOS, music service, cloud services; design their microprocessor chips, design the entire phone using mechanical designers, engineers, electrical engineers, software engineers, radio, antennas. And integration of software and hardware, all with an American based Executive and engineering culture— which seems to be the crux of the article.

A lot of Americans are employed from those endeavors, including construction of stores, http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/apple-spaceship-campus-facts-pictures-video-info-3489704/corporate headquarters, cloud storage farms. Advertising budgets too.

And certainly, jobs are spread across the world in manufacturing. Most of our toys are assembled in Asia, but elsewhere too.

But for an all inclusive American culture, engineering wise, Apple would fit that bill. And I think you understand that I'm not speaking about individuals, but a design culture.

But that was obvious from my post. That is why Apple is allowed to print on the back of every iPhone "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China "

Sent from

#7 viewfly, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    palandri likes this.
  8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Ummmm. Not.

Oh wait, I get it, the catch is the word "culture." LOL. Yes, you are right, the oppressive culture that Steve Jobs used may be American, although it smacks more of Chinese.

9. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    All those American construction, engineering, advertising, finance and retail employees are helping pay for our social security and Medicare. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Perhaps you meant, Korean, as the Chinese business practices use Samsung as a business model, as Samsung sought to destroy Japanese industry. Wanting to make everything in house, is a model of Jobs endeavors with iOS ( and Maps), as it was for Samsung for internal hardware.

In the end, there are few 'good guys' in big successful businesses, and certainly Samsung, an entirely family enterprise, is among the worst, no better than any feeling you harbor about Apple or Jobs.

Indeed, Samsung works people in a walled garden.

Some histories:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/01/how-samsung-got-big/

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/article...ecame-the-worlds-no-dot-1-smartphone-maker#p2

11. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    viewfly likes this.
  12. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So less than 1/2 of Apple's iPhone 6's weekend launch sales ( topped 10 million)?

Coincidentally, I heard on NPR a story about dislike/tensions between Japan and S. Korea, such that Samsung removed the brand label on their phone line in an attempt to increase sales in Japan. Samsung has only 5% of the Japanese market...Apple has 51%. I found this collaborative story here: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/20/samsung-drops-branding-galaxy-phones-japan

Some of it has to do with Japan distrusting S. Korea with how they destroyed their electronics market, and also, in general Japanese feel that S. Koreans are inferior. On the Korean side, there is the whole 'comfort women' issue which exists today, in that most Japanese brothels are filled with Korean women.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.