Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruise ship math

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by dmapr, Aug 7, 2017.

1. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    So I was looking at buying Wi-Fi for my upcoming cruise to Norway and I've noticed something peculiar about the pricing structure of those packages. You can buy 1,2,3 or 4 device packages. The 1 device package is $12.59/day, 2 devices is $25.58/day, 3 devices is $35.98/day and 4 devices is $44.76/day. So far so good, makes sense, right? The more you buy the more you save, pretty standard stuff. Not so fast... that's price per device per day! So for 1 device it's $12.59, 2 - $51.16 , 3 - $107.94 and 4 - $179.04!! Amazing stuff :D

palandri and charlyee like this.
  2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M8 (AT&T)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Last time I was on a cruise I signed up for a "social media" internet package. Only allowed sites like Facebook and Twitter. Unlimited data $30/7 day cruise. They didn't care how many devices, as long as only one was logged in at a time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri likes this.
  3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Nexus 6P
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Send them an email and tell them you have noted their error.

4. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I have no use for such a package Yes, they don't care how many devices, the n-device package allows n devices to be signed on at the same time. Which is 2 for me as I want my wife you be able to be online at the same time as I am.
    Nah, I don't think it's an error. If you try to buy the package it wants that much money. They also try to preclude you from buying multiples of 1 device package, but their programmers are inept

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.
  5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone 6S Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The last time I took a cruise, I looked at the prices...and turned off my phone and just enjoyed the vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

palandri likes this.
  6. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Those are not mutually exclusive ;)

7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    OK, so upon closer inspection it's not their math, it's their UX. You don't realize when ordering that it's not a one two-device package to be shared by two people but rather a two-device EACH package. Still, ordering 2 single-device packages is cheaper than a single 2-device package (although the difference is more like 1.5%) -- go figure