Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Crossed wires

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by ellenr, Oct 21, 2006.

1. ellenr

ellenr New Member

Has this happened to you? I dialed a pcs phone number, the person who answered, was not the person I was calling, had a totally different phone number. (confirmed). My phone co is Verizon so they would not report a crossed line. I called Sprint/Nextel *three* times, each call taking a few minutes for me to explain the situation, get transferred to 'tech support' and get disconnected.
    Nice to know Sprint service is not better than Verizon's.
    I don't know the person I'm calling's name- she answered an ad, didn't leave her name, just the #. I hoping eventually she'll find out her phone is out of order, or it could be the wires are crossed.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    thanks,
    ellenr

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've never heard of that happening before.

3. chamb

chamb Junior Member

I might suspect that she either gave you the wrong number or you copied it down wrong. You may not have a phone problem at all. If you still have the voice mail, listen to the number again. Even if you did copy it down correctly, you might be surprised to learn that many people do not even know their own phone number.

4. ellenr

ellenr New Member

I listened to her message many times, and I might have one digit off, and true she could have made a mistake, but -unless she was in some kind of fugue state- I doubt if she could have mistakenly given me a number which belongs to a business whose 7-digit number does not have any number in common with the number I was dialing.
    Ex if you give me your number, 123-444-5555, and I dial it, and at the other end, the person who answers says this is Joe's diner, and the number here is 123-999-8888.
    See what I mean?
    Has to be a crossed wire. well, actually since the number I dialed belongs to a wireless, guess it can't be a crossed wire. lol

I have no idea.
    There just doesn't seem to be a way to get anyone to investigate.

ellenr

5. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: LG-CU500 Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Thats pretty strange alright. i have never heard of that before.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Could be an MDN/MIN issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. chamb

chamb Junior Member

Ellen,
    No - this does not have to be a Sprint PCS trouble. All sorts of crazy things happen. She may have transposed some numbers when she gave you her number. The number she gave you may belong to a corporation. That number may forward to most anyplace.

I own a company. When the secretary is sick or just out of the office for some reason, our main number sometimes gets forwarded out of state to our other office. Different state, different area code. Sometimes that office number is also unattended. If so, the call forwards again to my cell phone which is a different area code again.
    Some of my employees can not even figure out the way our phone calls forward around. But I know how it works and I want it to be that way.
    You could be running into something strange like this and the person answering the phone has no idea what is happening.

Now -- after all that, I will admit that Sprint PCS COULD have a problem, but if so, I seriously doubt that you can get to the right person and get it fixed. I would think that sooner or later, somehow it will get fixed.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well i know this happened to me on a land line before...........i called my friend on her private line at home and some weird guy picked up and i asked to tlk to her and he said i had the wrong number........then i called her cell and the same guy picked up and told me that i had the wrong number again and i knew it was the same guy becaue i tlked with him about it for a minute......then i said goodbye and hung up......

then i called my other friend and let me tell you that the first two numbers were like this

610-987-xxxx
    610-858-xxxx

completely different prefixes

anyway so i called my friend in 610-689-xxxx

the same guy picked up.....:mad:

well it eventually stopped doing that....oh well.....technical difficulties

9. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    I have had this problem several times...with Nextel

I used my friends nextel phone last week, and was connected to someone elses convo, the network then got confused, and gave me a dial tone.

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    wow so it was one of those moments where you were actually tapped into a line but then when the network realized what it was doing it tried to drop the call and it couldnt do that either......sounds to me like a tower with Down Syndrome....

11. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think you are right on this one. It has happened to me a few times with Sprint, but I think it was because I love to customize my PPC phones and do a lot of soft resets that caused the issue. :)

When I was with Cingular I would have the same trouble, but it was due to the network being overloaded.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah im sure they got a lot of problems with that when they have Independence Day and New Years.......i know when i wen to my moms friends house for New Years Eve.....i tried to call friends to talk but it blocked the calls most of the time and the phone displayed "network busy" (I had T-Mobile)

I also tried on my dads Nextel and it went through very little but when i did eventually get through it never dropped on my tmobile phone or the nextel...

but anyway back to the Cingular thing...

I tried to call my friend on his Cingular phone about 20 times and it never went through.....it just started beeping like a really fast busy signal.....but the network was so congested that it didnt even forward me to his voicemail.....the landlines were relatively uncongested though......

its always those holidays where only a few seconds are important and everyone is trying to call everyone else

13. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just a thought, but this could also be the op's phone, especially if it happens with other numbers he dials. Like I said just a thought.

14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    this is also possible

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Happened to me all the time with Cingular...sometimes I would dial certain phone numbers and end up being "patched" in to a conversation that was already taking place.

16. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Now that's just classic, would hate to think how awkward that must be.

17. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    All the problems I'm reading about here would take place directly in the switch. The only wires involved are connecting the T1 lines which you can't just pick converstations out of. Something happened in the switch that caused these problems, be it a minor random glitch or an intentional programming by someone.

18. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That's crazy! I remember one time about 6 years ago I was roaming on analog and ended up hearing someone else's conversation when I dialed a number. :D

19. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Now on AMPS it's plausible for it to have happened, but on modern day systems it's not very easy.

20. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah the digital codes the calls and gives them more security.....but it would be funny if you did stumble across a conversation between 2 terrorists.....that would be awkward

21. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I have had a few times I was talking to someone via PTT & the conversation ended up with another person answering me. I have noticed this happened at fire scenes where the PTT usage was heavy.

Never had this problem with Cingular or AT&T Wireless though.