Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cows????

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Rollindown95, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Hey! I just commented on that one in the gallery. It just looks like a frankenstein assortment of equipment thrown on a flatbed trailer.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Rollindown95

Rollindown95 Junior Member

wouldn't it benefit nextel to have raised them towers a bit higher like sprint did, higher up gives more clearance over terrain and all so why didnt they?

3. Rollindown95

something else i noticed in the pic jay posted was that the panels are only faced one way

4. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    That is so the cow only covers the venue and doesn't interfere w/surrounding permanent sites.

5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I didn't post it, Kramer posted it. I just quoted it.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Rollindown95

ooops!!! sorry:O , but yea, is there a reason that they are not "omni directional" ???

7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Makes complete sense, but how is a COW 'integrated' into the network, even if just for short periods of time...my question is: Is the 'software' in the surrounding cellsites updated to make them aware of this COW, because I'm sure CDMA networks are in soft hand-offs, even if a cow is nearby...am I making sense?

8. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    With a little planningn it is easy to manage the cross connects, groom the DS0's for backhaul and plan the channels for integration without interference. The location, downtilt and azimuth of the antennas is carefully planned so as not to interfere with neighboring sites. That is why the Nextel site is at a lower height, they are controlling the size of the propogation cell. The data for loading into the switch is prepared in advance and the change is made the night before during the maintenance window usually by running a script to upoad the new data.

9. Rollindown95

what is backhaul, ive seen that word appear on this site quite a bit.

10. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    That's the dedicated circuits running between the cell sites and the carrier's switch. The next bunch of dedicated circuits are called "trunks" and connect the switch to the rest of the PTSN (public telephone switched network), so that a cellphone user can connect to anyone.

COtech

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Makes sense. So, basically, there is much more work involved than to just haul a COW somewhere and throw the switch to ON. :D

How is this handled in situations where they cannot plan ahead, just a power outage/storm, you name it? Are there times when the site is hauled in first, turned on, and then the quirks are worked out later or is that not possible?

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So basically if I am calling another Verizon user, the phone call goes from the cellsite to Verizon's switch and directly back to the next cellsite, correct?

What happens when I call a Verizon user in a different area???

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

13. Rollindown95

so whats being said here is that there is much underground wiring that takes place when building a cell site, not just a cow, but if a cell tower is all isolated in a field along i95 some where in NC, and there is nothing near it, then are u saying that there is still underground wiring connecting it to another tower possibly miles away, its impossible.

14. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Rollindown95: yes there are miles of T-1's & fiber that carry voice & data traffic from the cell site through the PSTN (local phone company) through the MSC (cell phone companies switch) through a BSC or RNC (base station or radio network controllers) to a HLR (home location register) and back to your mobile within milli-seconds. The distance that connects all the components in a mobile phone network can be THOUSANDS of MILES so yes there are MILLIONS of MILES of cable involved. Hope that explains things alittle.;)