Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Coverage: VerizonWireless vs cingular

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by a2z, May 17, 2005.

1. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think the echo comes from the phone speaker is so loud that the mic picks it up. I only get an echo from certain people and that is the reason why on VZW.

2. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

But VZW has weak reception in most Residential Areas
    resulting in drop calls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    So Jones
    are you saying
    Verizon has weak coverage
    in Residential areas?

Will you please
    Clarify
    Where you are
    Talking about.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't believe that, they are like every carrier, some are strong in residential area's some aren't. I know T-Mobile is non-exsistant where i live, Cingular is so-so & so is Verizon, it all depends on where the towers are, which frequencies they are using & other variables.

5. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

They should also test in the suburbs,
    residential areas that are far from the main roads.

6. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It's all well and good to say "they should test far from the main roads", but like everything else in business, the carriers' priorities are guided by revenue. It's likely that the carriers are still guided by the principal that mobile phones are used primarily for business while in transit, so they focus on the highway systems.

Go back 5 years and look at OmniPoint/VoiceStream/T-Mobile's coverage map. You could overlay their map on a map of the interstate highway system and every major route would be covered, but there wasn't much happening in the space between roads.

The notion of "mobile phone as ONLY phone" is still a relatively new one, and the carriers are learning to live in this new reality. Try explaining the need for a cell site to a NIMBY-minded 'community leader' in any small town in America, and you'll understand why network buildouts in residential areas are a slow, demanding undertaking.

Incidentally, Jones, why is it you always insert carriage returns in bizzare places? Do you think you're writing haiku or something? =)

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Their map still depicts the highway system pretty well..... ;)

8. zhila

zhila New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola c975
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Zingular
    Coverage is great but reception is not good at all. Waite for another year, let them finalize with ATT.